Doctors on Explorer of the seas

I wanted to know if anyone ever had to see the ship's doctor? and what the cost of seeing the doctor would be if we don't get the cruise insurance? Thanks.

We took my 3 yr old grandson to the ship doctor on the Mariner because he had a cold & cough. The doctor gave him antibiotics and cough medicine and the charge was $150 which was put on the shipboard account. When we got home the cost was reimbersed by the travel insurance. By the way on the same trip one of my suitcases was ruined and I filed a claim with the travel insurance at the same time and they paid for the damaged luggage and the doctor visit so for this trip the insurance came in handy.

I'm sure the cost of seeing the doctor will depend on what is wrong with you, if you are given any meds, etc.

My son has been to the doctors three times (explorer twice and freedom 1 this was a virus so no charge, just got confined to room on the last night))...when he was young he would get alot of ear infections...My husband had to see the doctor on carnival dream (a much more serious situation so he saw the doctor a couple of times that week... Other then the free one, they charged our on-board account and when I got home I submitted the paperwork to blue cross/blue shield and they paid... try giving your health ins co a call and see what their policy is...

I had to see the doctor on Celebrity -- Dr. was wonderful, along with staff. My insurance was through the cruiseline. Bill for 4 days treatment was over $1,500 as I needed intravenous drugs 2x a day for 4 days (leg infection). Bill immediately put on seapass. Upon returning home we first had to submit the bills to our own insurance and then Celebrity's insurance picked up remainder -- very confusing as codes did not match up. Received $750 back as after 9 months was tired of paperwork involved. Lesson learned: Make sure if multiple days that each one is separate. Overall though, was happy doctor was so wonderful and was able to enjoy most of cruise. Vicki:)

If you don't mind me asking, was this considered 'emergency care'? I have not bought trip insurance in the past because my primary health insurance covers me worldwide for emergency care (less my typical ER deductible). Depending on this, I may need to start buying insurance!

I had to see the doctor on the Navigator several years ago. I was terribly seasick, unable to even walk to the infirmary. As I remember the charge was between $500 and $600. My personal health insurance reimbursed me fully.

I have never forgotten how professional the treatment I received was. The doctor and the nurse who cared for me were exceptional! It took about 4 hours for me to recover enough to return to my room. They not only cared for me, they looked after my husband who had Alzheimer's Disease and was with me.

My grown daughter saw the Dr on Explorer - was a little sea sick - w/vomiting - gave her a shot and she was good to go! Cost - $100

So I guess it depends on what you are being treated for. She was very happy with how she was cared for but it was a quick in and out.

I wound up with a really bad infection on the Jewel. I went to the Dr. and was put on IV antibiotics. I had a second IV the next day. The bill was just under $1,000. My travel insurance would not pay for it and told me to submit to my health insurance. My health insurance paid for all but $75 which is the amount I would have to pay if I went to the emergency room and was not admitted. The travel insurance paid me the $75. I get travel insurance primarily for trip interruption stuff.

Not to bring up an unpleasant topic, but:

For illnesses and treatment, your medical insurance will reimburse. But if you have a serious injury or illness that requires air evacuation to the appropriate facility, your regular insurance may not cover the transportation for the patient and family. I always buy travel insurance that includes emergency evacuation, and I pay extra for the ability to be transferred to my facility of choice, once back in the states.

I work for a large rehabilitation hospital, and coordinate admissions to our specialty unit. Many patients that we admit have sustained injuries while vacationing overseas. Believe me, the ones that have spent the extra $$ on trip insurance thank God that they did.

Many booking credit cards offer trip insurance, too. It's best to try not to scrimp on travel insurance. I have seen the consequences, but hope never to have to experience them.

Be safe!

Teddie

I was on Explorer a few years ago & so seasick I couldn't believe it. The doctor gave me an IV because I was dehydrated, did some lab work & diagnosed a UTI, gave me the appropriated medications & saw me a couple of times just to make sure I doing okay.

The cost was a little over $1200. :eek: Fortunately, my insurance reimbursed for everything except my standard copay & the Gatorade.

Not all insurance will cover you out of the country...medicare does not (for my mom, nor did her supplemental..),nor did my own health insurance...

I've spent around 150 for a sinus infection diagnosis and a Z-pack..my mom's bill for whatever it was ( i forget at this point..) was over 1000....all were paid by travel insurance...the plan we had was a primary plan...

Regardless...in most cases you will have to pay the charges on your seapass and get reimbursed...in the event of hospitalization in another country, WITH some sort of insurance....most carriers have a 24 hour toll free number OR a phone number that you can call collect in an emergency......so that they can assist you....

In the case of evacuation...the coast guard does not charge.(your tax dollars at work...) but other than that, expect to have to pay...

In the case of evacuation...the coast guard does not charge.(your tax dollars at work...) but other than that, expect to have to pay...

If you have to be returned to home by Air Ambulance (NOT USCG) it will cost around $25,000. That is coverage you can get via travel insurance.

If you have to be returned to home by Air Ambulance (NOT USCG) it will cost around $25,000. That is coverage you can get via travel insurance.

Exactly. Besides getting returned home (whether it's by ground or air ambulance, or on your own steam), there are transportation/accommodation needs for your family, trip interruption, etc while you're laid up.

No, I don't work for a travel insurance company :) but I have seen what people can go through when they have a medical emergency while on vacation. Hopefully, most of us will never get to experience this for themselves or a loved one.

teddie

I would expect that the only service that is qualified to evacuate you from a ship at sea in the US and Caribbean would be the USCG, and not an air ambulance. There was a recent thread about this with regard to a situation on Freedom of the seas , with some posts by someone with direct knowledge on that very subject.

I would expect that the only service that is qualified to evacuate you from a ship at sea in the US and Caribbean would be the USCG, and not an air ambulance. There was a recent thread about this with regard to a situation on Freedom of the seas , with some posts by someone with direct knowledge on that very subject.

I don't believe Teddie was referring to evacuation from the ship. His comments address the expense of returning home when a person is physically unable to travel using regular modes of transportation.

I don't believe Teddie was referring to evacuation from the ship. His comments address the expense of returning home when a person is physically unable to travel using regular modes of transportation.

Yes, I am not referring to evacuation from the ship, but getting treatment and returning home safely.

I have worked on cases where patients have fallen, been in car accidents, skiing accidents, have had strokes, and even needed brain surgery as a result of accidents/illnesses incurred while on vacation and out of the country.

Trip insurance will make sure that you end up in a facility that can handle your medical needs--and this may end up being in the country that you are injured in. The policy may also cover accommodations and transportation for your traveling companion. Just like any hospitalization, your stay may be brief or prolonged, depending on the condition and treatment.

Then, once you are medically stable enough to travel, getting home might involve a simple commercial flight, or a full-fledged air ambulance equipped with a flight nurse and/or EMS. True, that can cost $25,000 or thereabouts from your own pocket if you do not have insurance coverage for it.

OK, I'm officially off the soapbox. Everyone be safe and have fun!

By the way, Teddie is female :) I'm on the right:

IMG_1563.jpg.4fd630689925b020d81f21f0a2273b05.jpg

Archived