Any updates on Christchurch?

Lol Margaret.... I will work on Robert first. :D. I foresee an issue with the swimming part of the swimming with dolphins activity.

There's also a harbour jet boat where you see the dolphins and other wildlife as the two main tours specific to Akaroa.

You should find most of the other options that were available from Christchurch are also available from Akaroa; at least that's what Celebrity did last time they were here, and the towns are very near each other.

Akaroa is indeed a delightful destination in itself so don't be 'disappointed' if that's where your ship docks instead of Christchurch.

Without being too negative I think it's worth noting that Christchurch and it's population are still struggling to recover from the earthquake. There have been many ongoing aftershocks (some quite severe) and many buildings, even neighbourhoods, face an uncertain future. It will take a long time to get back to any kind of 'normality' and even then the scars will remain. New Zealand is a stunningly beautiful country but unfortunately it comes at a price.

Hi Margo

We were on Sun Princess on the Northern Explorer Cruise back in 2009 and we had a number of tender ports. The Sun Princess (and crew) were able to look after disabled and wheelchair passengers very professionally.

There is a dedicated lift to take you to the embarkation deck and they look after you well in getting on and off the tender craft.

Go for it

cheers

Thanks for that advice Flipper.

Slightly off topic.... but Northern Explorer Cruise is the next on our bucket list to tick off, and I must admit I was thinking I would be stuck on the ship, so may be not so. Sun Princess is what I was thinking. Only pain is the offering on accessible cabins is poor, no balcony cabins and only one mini-suite. Still we are trying an Oceanview this Christmas on the Celebrity.

Would love to see the Dolphins at Akaroa, as they are such beautiful creatures. Many years ago when on the Spirit of Adventure I would spend hours on the bowsprit with the dophins swimming close by - totally at peace moment!:)

• 2 months later...

My boss and I were discussing Christchurch today (something we do on a regular basis as he has close friends there whom we have met a few times).

Anyway I asked if they were still having shakes, and he quickly brought up this website:

http://www.canterburyquakelive.co.nz/

7619 shakes since 4/9/10!!! Including six today :eek: SO little is in the media these days here, what with the Rugby World Cup and now the Elections, the Pike River Inquiry etc, Canterbury is not in the media focus.

I thought I would share the site, just so those of us not so close can appreciate what our Canterburians are enduring.

Most cruisers missing Christchurch are now headed for Akaroa, which is a beautiful part of Banks Peninsula and as Mrswhiskers from Akaroa on another thread mention, it is really an outer suburb of Christchurch.

Margo,

Thank you for posting the link to that earthquake site, which I was not aware of.

Yes, the quakes continue, but sometimes we are not aware of the smaller ones.

Hi erewhon - I am guessing you live in Canterbury? For some reason I had thought you were in Aussie.:rolleyes:

Archived