Breakfast in Galveston

dfmeeks

We're staying at the Harbor House prior to our cruise in March 2012. I've read numerous posts on another site complaining that the continental breakfast is insufficent & ends too early. Since I'm not staying there for the breakfast I really don't care ;). On the other hand, I'll have 3 17 yr old girls & my DH with me & they like their food! Can I get suggestions of where I can grab some danish, donuts, bagels, fruit, etc to bring back to the room? Walking distance from the hotel would be perfect! Last year we walked from the seawall to the harbor to watch the Conquest sail in so I don't mind walking a mile to & back to get some decent pastries.

Thanks for your help!!

Star drug. Tremont hotel. Mosquito cafe and bakery . Sunflower bakery. A small convenience store cattycorner to Rudy and Paco rest believe it is 21&post office. A couple of Mexican with breakfast at 24&post office office and 20&post office...... Names ?

Star drug. Tremont hotel. Mosquito cafe and bakery . Sunflower bakery. A small convenience store cattycorner to Rudy and Paco rest believe it is 21&post office. A couple of Mexican with breakfast at 24&post office office and 20&post office...... Names ?

We have eatin at all! Star tremont mosquito& sunflower are great. Mexican is Mexican .......which I like but not for all.......and convenience is supplies not restuarant. There is a starbucks right on harborside accros from fishermans wharf. Remember galvez tremont hh have reciprocal privileges and a limo bus for between 3 hotels....swimming pool, fab spa, breakfast lunch dinner facilities. We live in Galveston, keep asking questions.

First, let me say I'm very jealous that you live in Galveston. I love Galveston! I went to U of Houston in the early 80's & we use to skip school & drive to the beach.

I've read some negative reviews, not on cruise critic, on Harbor House. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion.

Thanks for offering to answer questions!

First, let me say I'm very jealous that you live in Galveston. I love Galveston! I went to U of Houston in the early 80's & we use to skip school & drive to the beach.

I've read some negative reviews, not on cruise critic, on Harbor House. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion.

Thanks for offering to answer questions!

Yes we love it here for the island sake.

My family dates back to 1851!

I grew up in Houston

and loved to come to Galveston for the beach also.

We lost 31 family in 1900 storm.

And our house was serverely damaged in IKE.

We are here and will continue enjoying it

for what it is!

We love to cruise!!!!!

It is too easy to cruise when you live here!

We have a tease every time a ship comes and goes.

I have not stayed at HH.

I have viewed the rooms though about 20 years ago!.

They were very nice and coastal in style.

The only negative reviews I have seen

were during period of IKE recovery.

Sure there may be other negative reviews.

Everyone can't agree with everybody.

But HH was used by owner’s contractors to live in during extended Ike recovery and extensive renovations of HH, Tremont, Galvez and many other downtown properties in Galveston for an extended time after Ike. Know elevators were down during this time... and the hotel was extensively damaged. All their buildings and holdings are first class though!

Also Galveston Galvez, Tremont, and Harbor House are operated by The Wyndham Grand Collection Group which is the second highest in top tier of Wyndham Hotel Group of their hotel management companies. I believe they would not be operating or associating with them, if they were not good.

I personally would not hesitate to stay there!!!!!!!

brandBar_2tier_new.jpg

We're staying at the Harbor House prior to our cruise in March 2012. I've read numerous posts on another site complaining that the continental breakfast is insufficent & ends too early. Since I'm not staying there for the breakfast I really don't care ;). On the other hand, I'll have 3 17 yr old girls & my DH with me & they like their food! Can I get suggestions of where I can grab some danish, donuts, bagels, fruit, etc to bring back to the room? Walking distance from the hotel would be perfect! Last year we walked from the seawall to the harbor to watch the Conquest sail in so I don't mind walking a mile to & back to get some decent pastries.

Thanks for your help!!

We've had no problem with the continental breakfast at the HH--think it starts at 7am. Coffee, juice, milk, danish, rolls, fruit, etc. Plenty of food for our group.

SSB, Wow 1851! Galveston is most definitely your family's home! I was born in Island Park, Long Island. I remember digging for clams when I was young. Unfortunately, we moved when I was 6 yrs old but always stayed no more than 90 minutes from the coast. Now I'm in land-locked Oklahoma. I miss the east coast & my beloved Long Island Sound so I can appreciate how lucky you are to live in Galveston. How awful to lose family & have damage to your home! But it's your home so it's understandable why you stay. I would love to retire to Galveston. Nothing better than being near the water!

I read terrible reviews on Tripadvisor (I hope I could say the name). There were some good ones too but the horrible reviews over-shadowed the good ones. It may just be a case of the unhappiest customers complaining the loudest.

Golfpccc, Thanks for your input. In the scheme of things breakfast isn't important but I thought I'd just be ready.

SSB, Wow 1851! Galveston is most definitely your family's home! I was born in Island Park, Long Island. I remember digging for clams when I was young. Unfortunately, we moved when I was 6 yrs old but always stayed no more than 90 minutes from the coast. Now I'm in land-locked Oklahoma. I miss the east coast & my beloved Long Island Sound so I can appreciate how lucky you are to live in Galveston. How awful to lose family & have damage to your home! But it's your home so it's understandable why you stay. I would love to retire to Galveston. Nothing better than being near the water!

I read terrible reviews on Tripadvisor (I hope I could say the name). There were some good ones too but the horrible reviews over-shadowed the good ones. It may just be a case of the unhappiest customers complaining the loudest.

Golfpccc, Thanks for your input. In the scheme of things breakfast isn't important but I thought I'd just be ready.

Yes thanks for you comments and observations!

I haven't looked at ny reviews in a while.

There were some on CC that I observed back when!

If you want to be downtown then go over to Tremont or to

Galvez, San Luis, and Moody Gardens which are comparable hotels.

Enjoy your stay , cruise and keep asking questions about when you get here!!!

We will help in any way!

Galveston is a great place to retire to!!!!

I have stayed in Harbor House approx. 6-8 times before cruises even though I live in Houston. I have not read the reviews on Trip Advisor but I can say I have never had a problem. I love staying there before a cruise because it gets me in vacation mode that much faster. Hope this helps.

@ssb-I am coming in the day before my cruise with my family. We have never been to Galveston before and will arrive early. We will be either on foot, or taking a bus/taxi for transportation once in town. Any suggestions fo things to do/see that day?

@dfmeeks-I will try to be on the dock, and waving as you sail away! ;)

@ssb-I am coming in the day before my cruise with my family. We have never been to Galveston before and will arrive early. We will be either on foot, or taking a bus/taxi for transportation once in town. Any suggestions fo things to do/see that day?

@dfmeeks-I will try to be on the dock, and waving as you sail away! ;)

There is a lot to do in Galveston

Main areas to stay

On the Gulf (seawall)(many motels and hotels)

On the Bay (Moody Gardens Hotel))

Downtown Old Town Historic District by Port - (Harbor House and Tremont)

On highway coming into town(few)

----------------------

see INTERNET maps for visual

of Greater Houston Metro

and to get bearings of island

galveston.com ....interact and discover.... maps

Houston Map PDF

Download Houston-area map in PDF Format:

Houston Metro

Galveston Island Map PDF

Download Galveston-area map in PDF Format (note: this is a large, 11' wide, print-quality map, so please be patient):

Galveston (B&W)

Galveston (Color Hi-Resolution)

----------------------------

In my opinion

San Luis, Hilton, Moody Gardens, Tremont, Galvez and Harbor House

are the better hotels.

Many other nice ones obviously!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

With a couple of days only

There is plenty to do in Galveston/Kemah/Nasa area

There are special events in Galveston

area almost every weekend

See

galveston.com (what to do)(calendar of events) your vacation calendar dates

galvestonhistory.org ---------Galveston Historical Foundation !!!!!!

moodygardens.com ------ just look at site !!!!!!

www.thegrand.com/calendar – 1894 Grand Opera House !!!!!!

Clearlake

Nasa Space Center

Kemah board walk - kemahboardwalk.com

Galveston:

beaches beaches beaches

old town Galveston *- on strand and post office streets

....(lots of shops and ice cream, old army surplus store, fine restaurants)

wineries and wine festivals

restaurants overlooking gulf and on port

two first class convention centers

many live theater venues

many live music venues

free concert nights - old town Galveston *- on strand

free film nights -old town Galveston *- on strand

free band nights-“family/kids” oriented-summer outdoor Tuesdays 24th & Sealy

1894 grand opera house * (a must seetour, and/or performances of many types)

chess park

artist festivals

museums

antique stores and art Galleries

horse drawn carriage rides

swimming in Gulf

fine restaurants

night scene

Galveston Historical Foundation properties*

many Historical and Victorian homes

galveston has second largest preservation membership in United States

bishops palace (wonderful)

moody mansion(wonderful)

ashton villa (wonderful)

moody gardens *(lots and lots and lots to do) (massive, fun and family oriented)

schlitterbahn water park

restored tall ship schooner Elissa www.tsm-elissa.org (wonderful)

1900 storm and pirate jean lafite documentary films at port

maritime museum- www.tsm-elissa.org

airplane museum (Lone Star Flight Museum)- http://www.lsfm.org/

railroad museum - http://www.galvestonrrmuseum.com

oil drilling rig museum - www.oceanstaroec.com

sea wolf park – WWII submarine and destroyer - www.cavalla.org

large souvenir shop over gulf water - Murdochs

walks and shelling on the beach

cruise ships (RCCL, Carnival, Princess, Disney)

fishing (piers, wadefishing and charters-offshore & inshore))

golfing

large skate board park

kayaking trails

surfing and children surf camps

kite flying on beach

marine life and children marine care educational camps at moody gardens

marine life and children marine camps at Texas AM University - Sea Camp Programs

many running events with major Triathlon event

sand castle building event

shopping shoping shoping

dolphin watching and port tours

turtle rescue farm behind San Luis Resort

carved damaged trees tour from storm

free ferry ride and a short cruise

duck tour (amphibious boat)

galveston.com/ interact and discover/cams

many major weekly events and festivals not mentioned

as example :

Art Walk (every 5 or so weeks year around)

Dickens on Strand (Dec) ----LARGE - http://www.dickensonthestrand.com

Lone Star Motorcycle Rally (Nov) ---LARGE - www.lonestarrally.com

Mardi Gras Galveston (Feb) ----LARGE - www.lonestarrally.com

October Fest

Beer Fest

Wine Fest

Greek Fest

Epicurean Evening of all restaurants

Shrimp Fest

Yega’s Wild Game Cook Off,

County Fair - LARGE

Children’s Fest

Feather Fest -

Old Timey Bathing Beauty Fest

and many many more !!

Trauma 1 Emergency Hospital on Island – Univ. Texas Medical Branch/Sealy Hospital -----Downtown on port

Better restaurants in Galveston in my opinion are

Sunday Brunch at Galvez Hotel

Rudi and Pacos...*white table cloths... no shorts.....

central american seafood, and steaks.... 20st Post Office Downtown

reservations recommended

Gaidos ...... *legendary and wonderful ..Seawall

Gaidos-Pelican Club-separate kitchen- if you are members

of your local club, it is reciprocal

Olympia Grill *views are great-

wonderful Greek food, seafood, and steaks - on Port

Original Mexican .....14th….Great and Oldest

Mosquito Cafe and their new bakery across Street....14th - The Best

The Spot ------food and cervezas, BEST PEOPLE WATCHING

(Family hamburger area and The Spot’s different bars are next door and above

--new level decks and bars with new and better views of gulf)

Fishermans Wharf ....Port

Willie G's ..... on Port

SeaSide Bistro - Seawall

Shearns - Moody Gardens views great....white table cloths..sunsets

Saltwater Grill .....Seafood assortments, soups, bisques, gumbos

20th Post Office St Downtown

Sky Bar ..... Sushi and Steaks........ 21st Post Office Downtown

Steak Restaurant in San Luis Hotel ....Seawall

Luigi's ......Italian .....Strand downtown

DiBellas....... Italian …..31st and O..... locals haunt and in old house

Le Croys Cajun... Strand

Sunflower Bakery and Cafe.... 14th

Clarys Seafood - Offitts Bayou

New York Pizza – Seawall - thin crust

Others:

Benos... Seawall

Shrimp and Stuff.....39 and O

Strand Street Café -Strand

Millers ....Seawall

Fish Tales ....Seawall

Joe's Crab Shack ....Seawall

Brickhouse……..Seawall

Landrys Seafood ....Seawall

Saltgrass Steakhouse ....Seawall

Rainforest Cafe ....Seawall

Gumbos....Post Office

M&M .....24th

Mod Coffeehouse (Postoffice St, downtown)

Lunchbox Cafe (23rd St, downtown, small eatery that serves locally grown food)

Murphy's Pub (22nd St, downtown, TONS of beer on tap, including Texas favorites; )

LaKings Confectionary and Factory(The Strand, downtown)

top 10 restaurants list in Galveston in the Houston Press:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating...n_galvesto.php

look on galveston.com/what to do/dining i

I have stayed in Harbor House approx. 6-8 times before cruises even though I live in Houston. I have not read the reviews on Trip Advisor but I can say I have never had a problem. I love staying there before a cruise because it gets me in vacation mode that much faster. Hope this helps.

I haven't heard of any problems either except right after IKE!!!:)

Again i would not hesitate to stay there!!!!!

SSB, Have you heard anything about the ghost tours? My daughter & her friends would love that!

Turtle-lover, We were in Galveston for our November cruise. We stayed at Country Inn & Suites on the seawall. Walking across the island isn't bad at all. We walked from the hotel to the pier to watch the Conquest sail in & it maybe took us 20-30 minutes, if that. I don't remember exactly but it wasn't long. We ate at The Spot for dinner. Delicious food that you order from the counter & they call your name so you can pick it up. The desserts looked incredible but we were too full to order. We arrived too late to do anything except walk on the beach but next year we intend to arrive nice & early so we can enjoy Galveston. Not only will you be able to wave to me but you can wave to your friends back home because there re several web cams aound Galveston!

nonna5, If you've stayed at the HH that many times & have no complaints, that's good enough for me. You're not going to give HH repeat business if you're unhappy. The reviews on cc have been consistent with your's so I'm just going to keep my reservation with HH & continue to look forward to the experience. Thanks!

... Have you heard anything about the ghost tours? My daughter & her friends would love that!...

Dash Beardsley's Ghost Tours of Galveston

http://www.galveston.com/ghosttoursofgalveston/

Ghost Tours Texas

http://www.galveston.com/ghosttourstexas/

Not a "ghost" tour, but it IS a cemetary....

Galveston Cemetery Tours

http://www.galveston.com/galvestoncemeterytours/

Here are some articles from September 2010 getting ready for the Halloween season, so please remember the OLD dates and info may not be current now:

13 legendary Galveston haunts

http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=22c6b43dcf66986a

Is Galveston Island haunted?

http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=84a9b2fa52393f76

If you want to take a "side trip" to Kemah:

Ghost tour hits Kemah haunts

http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=cf4979134d87f009

Some other oldie but goody links:

You might want a room on the 5th floor at the Galvez Hotel: http://www.galvestonghost.com/galvez.html

Check out the supposedly haunted portrait of Bernardo de Galvez at the Galvez Hotel: http://www.hauntedamericatours.com/museum/hauntedGalvez.htm

Kat 090107NA16_prv.gif

SSB, Have you heard anything about the ghost tours? My daughter & her friends would love that!

Host Kat posted info on the tours. We see them gathered at Moody Plaza, 25th and Strand, for the tours.

The harbor tour from the Texas Seaport Museum also has a story about Jean Lafitte during the tour.

I am SSB's DW:D

Thank you Host Kat & Galveston Cruiser! Ghost Tours of Texas looks good. Hopefully the amusement park will be ready by the time we sail. I love Galveston & can't wait to return. You both (& Galveston Cruiser's DH, SSB ;) ) are so lucky to live there!

Thank you very much. Glad we could help!

At least we usually have plenty of warning with hurricanes down here, but for y'all up there in Oklahoma with tornadoes... well... not so much!

Kat 110105_emYA11_prv.gif

Oklahoma weather is crazy! We had a storm the other day, not even a tornado, & there's destruction everywhere! Our flag pole, which is suppose to withstand 90 mile/hour winds, bent in half. We were lucky. Others had trees damage their houses & cars. And you're right, no notice! We new a storm was coming but nothing like this :eek:!

We stayed at Harbor House pre Ike but the last 5 years or so we have stuck with Hotel Galvez. We like being on the Seawall and they shuttle us to the port. Harbor House is fine - it doesn't have a lot of amenities - the rooms are big but they are plain and simple. It's not like staying in a hotel.

For an outstanding breakfast we love Miller's on the Seawall. Huge portions and tasty! Let the cruisers who don't know any better stand in line at IHOP and Dennys - those in the know go to Miller's.

We stayed at Harbor House pre Ike but the last 5 years or so we have stuck with Hotel Galvez. We like being on the Seawall and they shuttle us to the port. Harbor House is fine - it doesn't have a lot of amenities - the rooms are big but they are plain and simple. It's not like staying in a hotel.

For an outstanding breakfast we love Miller's on the Seawall. Huge portions and tasty! Let the cruisers who don't know any better stand in line at IHOP and Dennys - those in the know go to Miller's.

Yes for a Seawall breakfast Miller's is good!!

On 14th between Harborside and Broadway there is

Original Mexican, Sunflower Bakery, and Mosquito Grill and their new Bakery across street...........

and on L and 16th between Broadway and Seawall is Sky Katz

a small neighborhood deli with breakfast........

and a small restuarant right by Shriners Hospital and Sealy Hospital for a good breakfast. (Name ?)

These are all very good depending on what you are close to

or type of food you would like!!!!.

ssb- I remember a great bakery that changed names that we liked for breakfast. Right off The Strand, I want to say Paradise Bakery was the original name but I could be wrong. Seems like it started with a P though. I can't remember the new name. But I think they changed the menu too and got rid of a lot of great breakfast items. Do you have a clue what place I am talking about? :) I think I've confused myself.

WAIT - I think I remember now. Phoenix Bakery - do you know the new name?

Archived