High End Fashion without the $$$ Commitment??

I just stumbled upon a solution for really dressing up and having a ball on our next cruise, without having to shell out a bunch of money for clothes that'll rarely get a repeat evening out. But I'd like to know if any if you have used these sources and what you thought about the experience

Just like the men rent their tuxes, this site allows you to rent high end dresses, handbags, sunglasses and watches. Pretty cool. I'll not post the sites here but if you google "rent the runway" and "rent handbags" you'll find these two sites (the handbag site plays on the beg, borrow or steal name...). They have awesome things that might be fun to rent to make dressing up a little more exciting.

Do any of you have experiences with these sites or others that do the same thing? Care to share your experiences?

I would feel uncomfortable dressing and carrying purses that weren't mine and who I am. It almost feels, to me, like pretending to me someone other than I really am.

I'll be interested to read if others feel that way.

Thanks for sharing though. It gave me something to think about. :)

I can see how some might feel that way, but as long as the items are something that one COULD afford to buy if they loved the items, then it seems okay with me. I haven't tried it, but it sounds kind of fun, especially if they have items I'd like to "test drive" before investing in them for keeps.

I, too, wonder how the experience has been for folks. I'll keep watching this post. What a fun idea. Interesting that men don't feel funny wearing "rented" clothes (e.g., tuxedos) but we ladies might feel a bit odd. Maybe it's just because it's a "new" thing (at least to me!).

I would never bring a real purse on a cruise. I know they confiscate fake ones when you get off and would hate to have my real one mistaken for a fake. But I have looked at those sites and find the cloths not to be in real sizes.

We live in a beach town that is VERY casual.... Once a year we go to the big Charity Gala Ball and I have to buy a dress..... one that I will never wear again. I would love the option of renting one for that evening.

mostly built over several years for the basic(bottoms).. I scour Thrift and 2nd hand stores as well as Dillars sale racks, in my town and when I do a road trip.So I see no diff then renting a previously worn item, other than you have to return it(?)..but my small investment of Rarely over $6 per item goes back in my closet. FYI..All things are gently washed b4 wearing, and the evening things, in the bath basin, with shampoo, or DAWN, and left to dry. I havent paid a dry cleaners, in well...years.

My outfits are always raved over ! and for very few dollars spent. I do pass on my things when I replace w/ newer things. Since I can wear..a 16-18..Lg. XL, XXL, 18W, 20W..my sizes arent limited to "not on Dillards rack anymore.", And my Donations to the local charities gives back to my community

I would never bring a real purse on a cruise. I know they confiscate fake ones when you get off and would hate to have my real one mistaken for a fake. But I have looked at those sites and find the cloths not to be in real sizes.

What do you mean by the clothes aren't in real sizes?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Perhaps the European sizing is confusing? It can be tricky. If you go to the sizing tab, they explain how the sizes correlate to traditional American sizes. And you can also chat with a size guide.

I've never rented from Rent the Runway, but I am a member and scroll through the dresses. I already own so many dresses that I have yet to wear, so there is no need for me to rent, right now. However, I've heard many good reviews.

Personally, I don't think renting a dress would be pretending to be someone else. I look through the dresses and think, "that's so me!" Of course, renting would also give me the opportunity to try out dresses that aren't exactly my style, and I could learn that I love something I normally wouldn't pick out.

If you are interested, I have a blogger "friend" who rented a lovely gold gown for her 3rd anniversary celebration at the Tower of Terror at Disney's Hollywood Studios (she throws the best anniversary parties - the queen of private events at Disney World!). She has written a review on the experience: http://disneytravelbabble.com/disney-weddings/our-wedding/tot-anniversary-party/comment-page-1/

If you are interested, I have a blogger "friend" who rented a lovely gold gown for her 3rd anniversary celebration at the Tower of Terror at Disney's Hollywood Studios (she throws the best anniversary parties - the queen of private events at Disney World!). She has written a review on the experience: http://disneytravelbabble.com/disney-weddings/our-wedding/tot-anniversary-party/comment-page-1/

OMG, you know Lurky too! I remember when she got married, some of her wedding ceremony pictures are used by Disney Weddings on their website.

She clued me into Alamo online check in, love it!

I was on the road to DVC Vero Beach at spring break 20 minutes after I landed(we don't do checked bags).

I mean I have not seen anything above a 12-14 US. Most things go to L or Us12. The average US women is a 14-16 so they only have cloths for smaller women. While the concept is great. thy are limited on sizing.

I mean I have not seen anything above a 12-14 US. Most things go to L or Us12. The average US women is a 14-16 so they only have cloths for smaller women. While the concept is great. thy are limited on sizing.

I also wish they had more petite sizing. I'm only 5'0" and most of the longer dresses they suggest to sizes 5'3"-5'4" and above. I hope once the site gets more popular, they expand the sizing.

Unfortunately, I think it's not the fault of Rent the Runway, but of the designers. There has never been a huge selection of petite clothing (I always have to get my long gowns hemmed), and from what I've heard, designers don't carry a lot of larger sizes.

I also wish they had more petite sizing. I'm only 5'0" and most of the longer dresses they suggest to sizes 5'3"-5'4" and above. I hope once the site gets more popular, they expand the sizing.

Unfortunately, I think it's not the fault of Rent the Runway, but of the designers. There has never been a huge selection of petite clothing (I always have to get my long gowns hemmed), and from what I've heard, designers don't carry a lot of larger sizes.

Petites and womens sizes are becoming more popular. So hopefully soon. I know alot of wedding dress manufactures do petites now. I also find it funny that the larger size you wear the taller they think you are. Last I knew petite was considered under 5'4 . So that is a issue as well. I am 5'5 petites are too short for me yet regular is a bit too long. I rem when I was once the average size. I sometimes still buy petite in pants, one size up and then use them as crops or capris. I have also bought petite capris and used them as long shorts.

Edited by kbmeow

Have you been to a mall lately? most boutique style clothing doesn't come in anything higher than a 12-14. I just got back into 12s and 14s and I can tell you I'm at the top of the range in many stores (like White House Black Market). Those are real sizes in terms of what stores sell when it comes to fashionable clothing. Many stop at a 10.

Edited by sherilyn70

Have you been to a mall lately? most boutique style clothing doesn't come in anything higher than a 12-14. I just got back into 12s and 14s and I can tell you I'm at the top of the range in many stores (like White House Black Market). Those are real sizes in terms of what stores sell when it comes to fashionable clothing. Many stop at a 10.

Yes I have. I also have alot of retail clothing in my past. And I can shop at old navy, Gap, penneys, Macys, Izod, Geofrey beene, Van Husen, Fashion Bug, Dress barn, target, kmart, walmat and most in between. The boutique shops tend to run small even for there sizes. I rem when I was working we would get 1 16 ,2 14's and they would be the first to go so people thought things didn't come bigger than a 12. And nothing we said could get us a better size run. I had trouble shopping when I was a 12 because of the cuts of things. And I have seen very fashionable clothing for people who are bigger than 12-14. It is very much out there. But it is a industry that plays on the smaller the size the prettier you are and the better there cloths look. Not correct but, that is what alot of fashion thinks. But just because the mall does it , it does not make it right. I have always gone between 12/14/16. And I have always been more fashion forward than most of my smaller friends.

I had trouble shopping when I was a 12 because of the cuts of things. And I have seen very fashionable clothing for people who are bigger than 12-14.

The problem is you're talking about clothing lines that focus on Juniors sizes and not Misses though. While I have difficulty with a lot of junior sizes versus misses I can and do find clothing in those smaller shape stores still.

The reality is a lot of the women that can afford the more couture type clothing also have the money to spend on personal trainers and chefs and staying slim. That's where the money is and so that's where the designers will stay.

The problem is you're talking about clothing lines that focus on Juniors sizes and not Misses though.

That's not true. Many high end designers (who do not design for juniors, but for "misses") stop at size 10 or maybe 12. There are a few designers who now do women's/plus sizes. Look at the difference in availability on regular Saks 5th Ave, and the Salon Z (their plus size). MOre are available now than in the past, but this isn't a misses/juniors issue, but a misses/woman sizes issue.

As for rent the runway, I've not used it but there are lots of blogs of people who have used it. I wouldn't feel the need to wear that nice a dress on a cruise - but if I ever have to go to a black tie wedding in Manhattan again, I might look:D

The problem is you're talking about clothing lines that focus on Juniors sizes and not Misses though. While I have difficulty with a lot of junior sizes versus misses I can and do find clothing in those smaller shape stores still.

The reality is a lot of the women that can afford the more couture type clothing also have the money to spend on personal trainers and chefs and staying slim. That's where the money is and so that's where the designers will stay.

I am not talk about places that focus on Juniors. Juniors sizeing is odd numbers where misses sizing is even . And money has nothing to do with the clothing. With the average American being a 14-16 and a lot of them being successful women. It is more about time and such. You make it sound like if you are overweight than you are poor? Not true. Why is being the average American size considered overweight? Why isn't the market trending to the average American? I will concede that people with more money can afford the fresh foods. People of all sizes come with all income levels. This has nothing to do with that. While I can afford to shop in most stores. ( Do not care for Saks fifth ave, There cloths do not hold up enough to warrant there pricing). I have read many articles on how much money can be made off of plus size women as it is a market that is largely ignored. While I understand it I think that it makes people think that thin is pretty and that they have to be thin and do anything to be thin. In reality they need to be healthy and happy with how there body looks and stop caving into the social pressure and stereotypes.

And by saying poor=fat and rich = thin is just perpetuating a stereotype that is far from true.

It is a HUGE pet peeve of mine when people state that "real" sizes are 14+ or when magazines get applauded for using a "real" woman that's a 12 or larger. Are women that wear 0 or 2 (like me) not real? Is the size 2 model on the cover not real? Sorry, but the use of the word "real" drives me crazy. I don't enjoy shopping with friends because they all make a big deal of my size, and if I need a zero, I hear "that's not even a real size, you need to eat more." Trust me, I eat plenty, but I'm very active. It's offensive when people refer to women larger than a 12 as "real." Maybe a better term would be average, but why do we have to classify it? Can't we just take a model/woman for who she is?

The average American woman IS overweight. 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese. Because of this trend, vanity sizing has taken over. I'm getting sized out of some places - xs tops are too big, and xxs isn't always available. I have curves, I'm not a twig. We come in all shapes and sizes, all have our struggles in one way or another, and we're all beautiful. We're all REAL.

Stepping down from my soapbox :)

Now, as far as Rent the Runway, I'm on the fence. I have a ton of dresses, so I don't really NEED to rent. However, depending on the event, it may be fun to rent a very high end designer gown.

Edited by Chigirlcruzin

I will apologize , my phrasing was wrong. And I used to sell 0's and up. And I think there are two thoughts on sizing. Many people obsess about size not how they look. I say many small women who looked great and some I thought were starving themselves to be small. Size is as much about frame as it is about weight . When my BFF was a 2/3 she often shopped in jr's for stuff. I was so happy when she got out of that relationship and gained weight. I rem bring a girl a size 2 and she cryed because she was so fat. So there are weight images at all sizes. And the size 2 model sets a unreal expectation . The average person can not pull off being a size 2 and people think that they have to be the same size as the model. no one should be ashamed of there size. They should embrace it and make the most of it. People try to put everyone in the cookie cutter image and it is unfair to all. Very few people will ever have the models body.

It is a HUGE pet peeve of mine when people state that "real" sizes are 14+ or when magazines get applauded for using a "real" woman that's a 12 or larger. Are women that wear 0 or 2 (like me) not real? Is the size 2 model on the cover not real? Sorry, but the use of the word "real" drives me crazy. I don't enjoy shopping with friends because they all make a big deal of my size, and if I need a zero, I hear "that's not even a real size, you need to eat more." Trust me, I eat plenty, but I'm very active. It's offensive when people refer to women larger than a 12 as "real." Maybe a better term would be average, but why do we have to classify it? Can't we just take a model/woman for who she is?

The average American woman IS overweight. 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese. Because of this trend, vanity sizing has taken over. I'm getting sized out of some places - xs tops are too big, and xxs isn't always available. I have curves, I'm not a twig. We come in all shapes and sizes, all have our struggles in one way or another, and we're all beautiful. We're all REAL.

Stepping down from my soapbox :)

Now, as far as Rent the Runway, I'm on the fence. I have a ton of dresses, so I don't really NEED to rent. However, depending on the event, it may be fun to rent a very high end designer gown.

I've looked at the runway site before, and the rental prices seem reasonable, but I would be worried that the dresses wouldn't fit perfectly or be the length that I prefer. Off-topic, my pet peeves are "cloths" and "dinning" -- like fingernails on a blackboard to me!

I've looked at the runway site before, and the rental prices seem reasonable, but I would be worried that the dresses wouldn't fit perfectly or be the length that I prefer. Off-topic, my pet peeves are "cloths" and "dinning" -- like fingernails on a blackboard to me!

They advertise that the dress is free (minus cost of shipping) if it's the wrong size. They'll give you the credit towards your next rental, so it's not like you're completely getting your money back, but at least you get another dress. I don't know how you prove that, though.... I guess it has to be unworn. Again, how do you prove that? I'll have to ask someone who has rented before.

My pet peeve is when people use the wrong form of there/their/they're or your/you're. People say "Your welcome" all of the time, and I always want to say, "You mean you are welcome?" :rolleyes: Maybe we need a pet peeve thread...

They advertise that the dress is free (minus cost of shipping) if it's the wrong size. They'll give you the credit towards your next rental, so it's not like you're completely getting your money back, but at least you get another dress. I don't know how you prove that, though.... I guess it has to be unworn. Again, how do you prove that? I'll have to ask someone who has rented before.

My pet peeve is when people use the wrong form of there/their/they're or your/you're. People say "Your welcome" all of the time, and I always want to say, "You mean you are welcome?" :rolleyes: Maybe we need a pet peeve thread...

I think you can get two sizes to try for the price of one