Dinner Attire - Celebrity

wumav

We are leaving in a week onboard the Millenium and we are so excited! This is our first cruise and we are a bit confused by the attire for the dinners. For "informal nights" do you think it is merely a suggestion or a requirement for men to wear jackets or will you look out of place if you don't. My husband and our other traveling companions would like to just wear a nice button down collared shirt with dress pants for dinner on those nights, would that be appropriate? Thanks for any info!

It would be appropriate for to wear waht is recommended. On Celebrity, the attire for the informal nights is ties for the gents so they really should go with ties. Celebrity provides a nice mix of formal, informal and casual evenings.

Have a great cruise.

Keith

I'm typing this on Celebrity Summit right now and for informal nights, the men are wearing jackets, dress shirts and dress slacks, but no tie. Jackets are what's listed in the daily newsletter for informal nights for the men, and last night, which was informal, the men did wear jackets. The daily schedule also doesn't say anything about wearing ties on informal nights, just jackets.

Darcie, interesting how the gents are not wearing ties. We had cruised Celebrity for six consecutive years up to about five years ago. During that time frame, the men would largely wear ties during the informal sites. Since the Celebrity Web site still recommends a tie for the informal nights I just assumed that ties were still the norm. Oh well, guess things have changed. They ought to update their web site.

Hope you are enjoying the cruise.

All my best.

Keith

It is not a suggestion according to the Celebrity daily which states the dress code is required in public areas (except the casual dining deck) in the evenings.

As far as ties, we have found that on our transatlantics, most men at second seating wore ties on informal nights with suits, and wore sports jackets for casual nights. At least all the men at our table did - and no we did not know each other before the cruise.

We found that Caribbean cruises had less men wearing ties and suits on informal nights and very few sports jackets on casual nights.

We cruised on Celebrity Summit last August to Alaska. On formal nights my husband wore a suit and tie. On informal AND casual nights he wore slacks and a nice shirt, no tie. We "girls" went dressy for formal and informal nights, but sometimes it's hard (at least in my family) to get the guys to dress up. My brother-in-law never wore a tie.

• 3 weeks later...

Last summer on the Century we saw mostly nice shirts on the men on informal nights. It really seemed like "anything goes" to me. The couple next to us was totally inappropriately dressed everynight and yet no one kept them out of the dining room. So IMHO I say go with the nice shirt and be comfortable!

There's a current posting on the Celebrity board from someone who was denied entrance to the dining room on informal night because he did not have a jacket on. His big stink, though, is that the guidelines weren't enforced consistently and that the maitre d' treated him rudely. Apparently several male passengers were able to enter without jackets even though he couldn't.

On our Celebrity cruises, we've seen a number of men without jackets on informal nights. I prefer to wear one, but without a tie.

If your husband is taking a suit for formal night, he can probably get away without wearing a jacket on informal nights--as long as he doesn't mind going back to the cabin to retrieve the jacket if a maitre d' catches him and denies him entrance. I would feel funny wearing khakis with a tuxedo jacket, so I bring along a sports coat as well.

Archived