Eielson Visitor Center Shuttle Bus 2012

sbb

The schedule for this shuttle for 2011 began June 1. Should I assume that it will be the same for 2012? I am planning my trip and haven't been able to find a schedule for next year.

No you cannot assume the shuttle bus schedule will be the same in 2012. The National Park Service for Denali NP is holding an open period for suggestions for changes for the visitor's experiences.

The Anchorage Daily News has articles on this subject. http://www.adn.com/2011/08/07/2004664/park-service-examines-ways-to.html

The proposed changes will take a few years to implement, as the NPS public process moves only slightly faster than a glacier. The usual starting date for the Eielson shuttles is around the 1st of June, but can vary by a day or two at most. More frequent is a late spring storm that shuts the road down for a day until it melts or gets plowed. Less frequent now than a decade or so ago with climate change and warming winters.

I too can not recall a time when the Eielson Shuttle bus did not start June 1. This has been consistant over the many years I have been traveling there. They have changed a few times.

The schedule for next year won't be available for at least a few more months.

Thanks for your input. I really want to cruise southbound early in the season but late enough to get into the park. You all have been a wealth of information!

Do you have any recommendations for a hotel near the Denali park entrance?

Thanks for your input. I really want to cruise southbound early in the season but late enough to get into the park. You all have been a wealth of information!

Do you have any recommendations for a hotel near the Denali park entrance?

If Eielson is a priority, then I would not consider any cruise sailing before June 4. There is a wide range of lodging. For budget basic, I really like the Denali Park Hotel. Touch of Wilderness is my fav B&B. Will you have a car?

Archived