Dubai to Rome on Brilliance of the Seas, April 2012

dinoman

I paid a deposit on the Sept 2012 NCL Panama Canal cruise but then I discovered and attracted by the Suez Canal cruise ex Dubai on Brilliance of the Seas in April 2012. I am seriously considering cancelling the NCL deposit and shift to RCL but then I read some negective comments on the ship here, such as insufficient spaces on the deck, no trays available and not enough seats in cafeteria. I've been on Celebrity, NCL and HAL and I don't want to ruin my impression on RCL based on just a handful of comments by unsatisfying customers. Would you all seasoned RCL cuisers pls let me know the truth based on your actual experience with RCL.

Hi, I would opt for the Brilliance. We did this passage the other way round this last January and it was fabulous. None of the "observations" are true on that voyage. The windjammer was sometimes full because of these stupid illiterate (because they cannot read the signs) card players and book readers during lunch time. But you always can divert to the balcony restaurant annex seating right behind the windjammer where we preferred to sit and eat anyway....

Hi, I would opt for the Brilliance. We did this passage the other way round this last January and it was fabulous. None of the "observations" are true on that voyage. The windjammer was sometimes full because of these stupid illiterate (because they cannot read the signs) card players and book readers during lunch time. But you always can divert to the balcony restaurant annex seating right behind the windjammer where we preferred to sit and eat anyway....

I disagree!.

I did the Brillance 3 times on all repositioning cruises and the Management Onboard such as Hotel Director Patrick and Hans are completely INCOMPETANT in running that ship properly and consistently. So many unattended details, poor upkeep, morale of staff so low in the toilet. The Windjammer had very poor food quality, lines ups all over the place, broken equipemnt in the gym and complete chaos!!!!...the only cruise that was a dream was the April 12th repositiong cruise last year from Dubai-Barcelona and that was only because 800 paxs couldn't make the ship due to the volcano erupting in Iceland!

I disagree!.

I did the Brillance 3 times on all repositioning cruises and the Management Onboard such as Hotel Director Patrick and Hans are completely INCOMPETANT in running that ship properly and consistently. So many unattended details, poor upkeep, morale of staff so low in the toilet. The Windjammer had very poor food quality, lines ups all over the place, broken equipemnt in the gym and complete chaos!!!!...the only cruise that was a dream was the April 12th repositiong cruise last year from Dubai-Barcelona and that was only because 800 paxs couldn't make the ship due to the volcano erupting in Iceland!

I was just on the Brilliance in early July and I couldn't disagree more. The ship was very clean and well-maintained. The Windjammer was especially a pleasant surprise: it was busy at breakfast but we could always find a table and ate outside at the aft tables many times. The food quality and presentation in the WJ was very good. We never felt that the ship was crowded - plenty of seats at the pool and in the other public spaces including the shows. Didn't meet a crew member that wasn't pleasant and friendly.

Complete chaos? An over exaggeration if I ever heard one.

I was just on the Brilliance in early July and I couldn't disagree more. The ship was very clean and well-maintained. The Windjammer was especially a pleasant surprise: it was busy at breakfast but we could always find a table and ate outside at the aft tables many times. The food quality and presentation in the WJ was very good. We never felt that the ship was crowded - plenty of seats at the pool and in the other public spaces including the shows. Didn't meet a crew member that wasn't pleasant and friendly.

With 167 cruises on RCCL I wouldn't classy me as "exaggeration"!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

We did the Barc to Dubai route on the Brilliance in Jan. It was

a fabulous cruise. We loved the mixture of sea days with some

exotic ports. The concierge Rahim was great and I had no

issues with service or the ship.

The Panama Canal cruise is nice but the Suez Canal offers some

unique and exotic ports. Be sure to go to Petra. And we also

combined that with a trip to Wadi Rum. (did a private tour).

We stayed a couple of nights in Dubai and fell in love with that

city. We're looking into Dubai to India so we can have an excuse

to go back to Dubai.

I disagree!.

I'm confused on your post . Why go on a ship 3 times that you reported incompetence and poor food etc ? :confused:

...the Management Onboard such as Hotel Director Patrick and Hans are completely INCOMPETANT in running that ship properly and consistently. So many unattended details, poor upkeep, morale of staff so low in the toilet. The Windjammer had very poor food quality, lines ups all over the place, broken equipemnt in the gym and complete chaos!!....

With 167 cruises on RCCL I wouldn't classy me as "exaggeration":rolleyes:!

You just sound really bitter to me, is all.

Sorry you had such a negative experience but DH and I couldn't disagree with you MORE. Just back from Brilliance, and everything was absolutely top notch! Not a complaint, and certainly nothing like what you are complaining about. I think when one reads reviews, you have to take them with a grain of salt, and I do with yours as well.

Thank you. Agreed on all points. :)

OP dinoman, consider the source of those reviews and make your decision. Actually, I stopped reading reviews a few months before our Brilliance cruise, and I think that served me well.

In this life, you have to pick your battles.... and I choose them carefully. Remember that, and then, if you have to, read the reviews again. I'm hoping you will change your mind about magnificent Brilliance.

I'm confused on your post . Why go on a ship 3 times that you reported incompetence and poor food etc ? :confused:

That sometimes confuses me. People tend to repeatedly doing what they don't like to do and then spread their dissatisfaction out hoping others would agree with them. Thank you to all of your valuable first-hand RCL experiences.

From what I've learnt on the internet so far, the Suez Canal, unlike the Panama Canal, has no locks and more like a river or waterway. Exotic ports aside, starting in Dubai and ending in Rome mean I don't have to suffer the 12-hour time different between USA and my hometown. This would be a memorable trip for me and I'm so looking forward to it.

You're right in the fact that there are no locks for the Suez Canal

but the whole process is still exciting. The ships are bundled

together for a convoy as they can only pass in one direction at

a time. Kind of like a 2 lane highway that's closed in one lane.

They have a holding area where the ships are in limbo waiting for

their turn to enter the canal. You will get a lot of history about

the canal and how important it is for trade and oil. You'll be

amazed at how narrow the passage is. The transit takes the whole

day so I would recommend a balcony if you can so you can sit

back and enjoy part of it from your room. I don't think that one

side has any better scenery than the other so that's not a factor.

We did have extra security precautions while we were sailing off the

coast of Aden but that added to the excitement of it all.

I enjoyed my Brilliance sailing. Felt like the ship was clean enough etc...

I'd take the Suez Canal myself, but have been thru part of the Panama Canal so it although neat would loose out to the Suez so I could see something different.

You're right in the fact that there are no locks for the Suez Canal

but the whole process is still exciting. The ships are bundled

together for a convoy as they can only pass in one direction at

a time. Kind of like a 2 lane highway that's closed in one lane.

They have a holding area where the ships are in limbo waiting for

their turn to enter the canal. You will get a lot of history about

the canal and how important it is for trade and oil. You'll be

amazed at how narrow the passage is. The transit takes the whole

day so I would recommend a balcony if you can so you can sit

back and enjoy part of it from your room. I don't think that one

side has any better scenery than the other so that's not a factor.

We did have extra security precautions while we were sailing off the

coast of Aden but that added to the excitement of it all.

Just curious, what did that entail?

Thanks,

TnT

Just curious, what did that entail?

Thanks,

TnT

From Djibouti to Southern Oman the ship is accompanied by a small boat with a load of Royal Marines with sophisticated weaponry, 2 nights black-out conditions for all outside illumination, deck 11 and 12 closed in the night for crew with night vision goggles patrolling, deck 5 closed for crew with water hose operators .All in all not a limitation , the contrary is the case. :D

From Djibouti to Southern Oman the ship is accompanied by a small boat with a load of Royal Marines with sophisticated weaponry, 2 nights black-out conditions for all outside illumination, deck 11 and 12 closed in the night for crew with night vision goggles patrolling, deck 5 closed for crew with water hose operators .All in all not a limitation , the contrary is the case. :D

All that and an extra safety "Safe Haven" drill where upon the

announcement we had to exit our rooms and stay in the hallway.

People with inside rooms were able to stay there. People on the

open decks were moved to the center of the ship. We knew

we could pretty much outrun anybody trying to take us over but

we were taking precautions from possible grenades and such.

It sounds kind of scary but we felt very safe in the hands of

our captain. In fact, there was news of some pirate activity in

the area and they extended our security measures for an extra

day.

Hm, how do you know with 167 RCCL cruise segments whether NCL is on par or better?

I did NCL ONCE and ONCE was enough on the Norweigan Dream which I knick names the Norweigan "Nightmare"!

Not surprised to see all the Loyalists and Cheerleaders pounce on any negative comment on here as usual!...typical banter on the RCCL boards as always!:rolleyes:

Archived