Table for 10 at Chops?

rthouse

During my Allure experience next month I will be celebrating my birthday (the BIG 6-0) with my family. I made online reservations for the 10 of us at Chops. Now I've heard that some specialty restaurants may not be willing to seat a large group because they may disrupt the quiet ambiance of the setting.

Will I have a problem getting a table for 10 at Chops?

Is there something special I need to do to make it happen? Maybe I should have them whisper the birthday song? :rolleyes:

Will I have to move the celebration to our table for 10 in MDR?

Not for sure but from some experiences with Chops and Portofino on other ships...

We had a table for eight at Portofino on Serenade and that was OK. But it was a round table and that was as many as it could handle. Because we were all facing each other or next to someone the talking was directed inward more so no shouting to the end of a long table. But we still tried to keep the level down. We were celebrating parents anniversary - also 6-0.

At Chops on Brilliance there was a group that had to have been at least 10 people and they were accomodated. It was a loud group though but didn't bother us. One thing they might do though is have a group that size come early in the slot of time allowed for kids to be there.

Considering some of the loud groups that I have heard in the specialty restaurants, I sort of wish that they had this policy!

They don't.

Two boisterous people could be asked to tone it down.

The number doesn't dictate the noise level.

You should be fine.

:)

(and I really don't mind other people's celebrations. Just making a post here ;))

had a party of 10 last may on Serenade in chops for moms 76th, and had no problems, the staff was very gracious!

Last year, there were 10 in our party, because each couple made their own reservation, the staff didn't know that there would be 10 of us. When we arrived, they absolutely would not seat us all together at the same table stating that the tables are arranged for 6. The staff did mention that we could sit close together, and with 5 people at the table, there was more room to "spread out".

Interestingly enough, there were some officers at the very next table. While they were chattering about who knows, I recognized one of the voices that you hear when the bridge announces the speed, heading, water temp, etc. I was whispering to those at my table who he was. No sooner than I had gotten it out of my mouth, he came over to our table introduced himself and asked how we liked the cruise so far.

In July my family of 7 cruised the Oasis. I tried to pre-book Chops but had to make 2 reservations, one for 3 people and one for 4. On-line would NOT allow me to pre-book for larger than 6.

When we got on the ship I went to Chops to request for us to be seated together, and I had to give up my original reservation and book another night. :( It worked out OK, but it was a little frustrating!

In July my family of 7 cruised the Oasis. I tried to pre-book Chops but had to make 2 reservations, one for 3 people and one for 4. On-line would NOT allow me to pre-book for larger than 6.

When we got on the ship I went to Chops to request for us to be seated together, and I had to give up my original reservation and book another night. :( It worked out OK, but it was a little frustrating!

I had no problem making one reservation for the 10 of us online.

Last year, there were 10 in our party, because each couple made their own reservation, the staff didn't know that there would be 10 of us. When we arrived, they absolutely would not seat us all together at the same table stating that the tables are arranged for 6. The staff did mention that we could sit close together, and with 5 people at the table, there was more room to "spread out".

Interestingly enough, there were some officers at the very next table. While they were chattering about who knows, I recognized one of the voices that you hear when the bridge announces the speed, heading, water temp, etc. I was whispering to those at my table who he was. No sooner than I had gotten it out of my mouth, he came over to our table introduced himself and asked how we liked the cruise so far.

wow, sorry that happened to you all. our whole family booked seperatly because we are split on different coasts, but we made sure that our revervations were linked up so we had no problems with cabin groupings or dinner reservations.

Will I have a problem getting a table for 10 at Chops?

fyi- I ran across this on RCI's website, looks like you're good to book: :)

Q: Is there a maximum party size for Specialty Restaurant Reservations?

A: Yes. Advanced reservations are limited to parties of 10 people or less in all Specialty Restaurants. Tables cannot be combined or rearranged in order to preserve the intimate atmosphere of the restaurant.

Now I'm really confused because I saw the same FAQ when I was looking up my Thanksgiving cruise on Jewel of the Seas but the wording said no more than 6 people in any of the specialty restaurants and then that stuff about preserving the intimate nature, blah, blah. We're celebrating my parents' 50th and there will be 7 of us. Guess all we can do is try!

• 1 month later...

I am trying to book a reservation at Chops on the Oasis December 24th sailing and it wouldn't let me do it online. I called customer service and they told me that because of the Holiday Sailing, it wouldn't let me book a table bigger than 8 online and that I would have to try when I got to the ship....

We celebrated my best friend's birthday in Chops on Freedom last December. There were 12 of us at the table. We could not pre-book for 12 and had 2 tables for 6. When we got on the ship we went to Chops and they had us all seated at the same table in one corner of Chops by the windows. It was lovely. They do not sing 'Happy Birthday' but they did put a candle in desert and presented it to our birthday lady! It was lovely.

I should have followed up before this - my apologies.

I ended up calling customer service, and they were lovely. We were able to make a reservation for 7 adults, no problem, but since the 7 of us are in 5 different cabins, it was helpful to have customer service handle the reservation for us. The rep I spoke to was very efficient, and was able to link the reservation for Chops to all of our individual reservations as well, so it shows up in our profiles.

So we are all set for 7 adults to celebrate my parents' 50th anniversary on the Jewel in November. Can't wait!

I am trying to book a reservation at Chops on the Oasis December 24th sailing and it wouldn't let me do it online. I called customer service and they told me that because of the Holiday Sailing, it wouldn't let me book a table bigger than 8 online and that I would have to try when I got to the ship....

Another possibility: Are you using Firefox as your browser? Won't work. Try Internet Explorer.

The statement that they "cannot" rearrange tables to accommodate a larger group is horse-hockey. On our Liberty cruise, there was a large table set up for about 15-18 people when we got there for an 8pm reservation in Chops...at 815, they arrived and were seated...some were officers of the ship, their guests, and judging by the conversations, supplier/vendors and their guests that were being "courted" by RC (or maybe they were "courting" RC).

The one thing that impressed me is that the staff wasn't "strained" to take care of them, and take care of us and the other patrons...our server had just our table and maybe 2 others...their table had dedicated servers, just for their table...

So, they CAN accommodate large groups, it's just a matter of if they WANT to.

Archived