Article of interest--"Gladiator" scammers busted in Rome

quercus alba

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44117037/ns/world_news-europe/

We had a bit of a run-in with one of these costumed gladiators--we let him flatter and pose with my wife while I took pictures, but when he offered to take my camera and take a picture of us together, I refused and gave him a couple of Euros for the shots I'd taken. (I was also being pretty vigilant the whole time to keep us in an open area in case he had a accomplice wanting to check out my pockets while I was distracted.) Easy to get taken in, though...

Fatti Americana vittorioso

http://www.flickr.com/photos/quercus_alba/5806866938/in/set-72157626903607650/

My wife said "her gladiator" wasn't in any of the pictures in the news article though... :rolleyes:

(I think she's still hoping he'll come back for her. ;))

We got asked several times but thought the gladiators at the Colosseum looked too sketchy.

But the girls (my 2 DD's and the 2 nieces) wanted to get their photo with a gladiator so they had theirs done at the Pantheon. We did not agree on a price ahead of time and afterward they tried to get 5 euros per girl per gladiator (total of 40 euros). I gave them 4 euros and I think my sister-in-law gave the same. My DH said that one gladiator especially was not happy with me when I walked off.

Here's the photo:

ry%3D400

That's all part of the dance ... no matter how much money you gave them you would have received pretty much the same reaction. If you have time it's fun to watch them work the crowd ... they can manage just enough words in a dizzying array of languages to sell themselves, as well as various translations of "cheapskate" for afterwards. It's pretty entertaining, if you're not the one they're yelling at.

Walk by sometime and keep your mouth shut and see what languages they try on you ... they will usually start with English, because that's where the odds are, but if you don't respond they'll try Spanish, French and keep going until you react.

Walk by sometime and keep your mouth shut and see what languages they try on you ... they will usually start with English, because that's where the odds are, but if you don't respond they'll try Spanish, French and keep going until you react.

I always get German. :D

I often get German too. Even when I speak to someone in my best Italian. And I know that I cannot possibly have a German accent. :o

That happens to a friend of mine all the time and we finally decided that it's because she also speaks Hebrew and that is having an impact on her Italian accent, which they are hearing as a German influence rather than Hebrew.

When we've done Colosseum tours (except for the underground tour), before we go in, our guides have given a little talk about the history and then pull over a gladiator who poses for pictures with anybody that wants in the group for free (one at at time, groups, whatever you want.) The guide and gladiator both emphasize it is included with the tour and didn't try to pressure for any additional tip/cost.

Archived