Hilton FLL Airport--Royal, Need your help!

I can score a great deal on LMT for this hotel--$65 a night for our 2-night pre-cruise hotel this Feb. We normally like to stay at the beach, but rates so far are sky-high and we really don't want to drop that much cash for a pre-cruise hotel.

I have not seen this hotel discussed, so I have some questions for anyone who's stayed at this property in the past, and Royalcruz: :)

1870 Griffin Road.

1) How close is this property to the beach area? We are thinking either to rent a car, or just do a taxi both days to get to the beach area (Beach Place, Las Olas, etc.) We'd prefer to rent a car, but if we don't...just would like to know how far it is. and how much a taxi would cost each way.

2) Have you heard good/bad things about this property? We're pretty low-maintenance and just like a nice pool area/place to get a good lunch/drinks. But any restaurants, shops in the area?

Obviously, this is a great deal and hard to pass up, so I'm wondering what you think about it. I'm guessing it's worth it and we should grab it, then just rent a car or do the taxis to get to the beach.

Any help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Can't speak to the quality of the hotel, but it's beside the airport, at the southwest corner of the airport property. There is a runway barely a quarter mile from the hotel, although it's not a runway the airlines use. Not really much around it that you could walk to.

I would rent a car, as one round trip to Dania Beach (which is the closest beach) is probably break even, and then you still have the car to go elsewhere for meals and whatnot. I would double check if this hotel charges for parking, but even then, I still think you are further ahead with a rental, especially when convenience is factored in.

I've been to many events at the Hilton. It's nice enough, a basic 3 star large hotel with a pool, but nothing special. The hotel has a typical hotel buffet restaurant. There is nothing around other than the Sheraton across the street. I'm sure that I read that Priceline clients usually get the smoking rooms, not sure about the other travel agencies' clients. A taxi to the Ft Laud beach area would cost about $25-30 each way. You should be able to get to get to Dania Beach for about half that amt.

:D Hi- We also booked this hotel for Feb, one night for our pre cruise and 1 night after the cruise. The airfare was high to fly home on a Sunday than a Monday. So for $56 + tax it is worth it. We stayed at this hotel 2 yrs. ago.I paid more than $56 back then!. No complaints of the rooms. They have a nice lobby with complimentary lemonade and I think ice tea( not sure). Pool was nice. We used the shuttle to the airport. When we were there, we did see a flight crew (I don't remember which airline) depart from the hotel. I also saw this on LMT and grabbed it.

:D Hi- We also booked this hotel for Feb, one night for our pre cruise and 1 night after the cruise. The airfare was high to fly home on a Sunday than a Monday. So for $56 + tax it is worth it. We stayed at this hotel 2 yrs. ago.I paid more than $56 back then!. No complaints of the rooms. They have a nice lobby with complimentary lemonade and I think ice tea( not sure). Pool was nice. We used the shuttle to the airport. When we were there, we did see a flight crew (I don't remember which airline) depart from the hotel. I also saw this on LMT and grabbed it.

Hi cruizin--thanks for the comments. It does look like a nice place, and like I said--for the price you really can't pass it up. I just booked a rental car as well so we can get around (going with my parents) and over to the beach area, etc. I'm excited about the pool area, really looks nice and we are sun worshippers :)

Where did you eat..in the hotel? I googled the address and it looks like there are some places to grab a quick bite within a mile?

What ship are you cruising on?

Hi cruizin--thanks for the comments. It does look like a nice place, and like I said--for the price you really can't pass it up. I just booked a rental car as well so we can get around (going with my parents) and over to the beach area, etc. I'm excited about the pool area, really looks nice and we are sun worshippers :)

Where did you eat..in the hotel? I googled the address and it looks like there are some places to grab a quick bite within a mile?

What ship are you cruising on?

The easiest place from that hotel is probably the Oakwood Plaza, about a mile, maybe a mile and a half south of the Hilton. It's at the Stirling Rd exit, which is the next exit south of Griffin Rd off I-95. On Griffin itself, west of the highway, there's a Subway, a steakhouse and a couple other neighbourhood type places, but not a large selection.

Just as an update, booked the Hilton FLL Airport this morning on LMT--$56 + taxes for 2 nights, 2/24-2/26. It was listed as a

3* FLL Airport Hotel for anyone interested.

Great deal!

Who is LMT

Some popular restaurants on Griffin Road with the locals are The Field (Irish) and Royal India. Tourists like Rustic Inn, which is really close. Tropical Acres steakhouse is nearby but the decor is 20 yrs old and it's not very fun or nice, just basic grilled food.

There is also a restaurant called Islamorada Fish Co. at Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World which you can walk to (just be carefull crossing Griffin Rd). The food here is pretty good/decent. There are a couple of things on the menu that are quite good. Their blackened chicken fettucine alfredo is good and so is their grilled chicken breast sandwich. The sushi bar is pretty good. Don't order the conch fritters in the main restaurant, as they are frozen, mostly filler.

Some popular restaurants on Griffin Road with the locals are The Field (Irish) and Royal India. Tourists like Rustic Inn, which is really close. Tropical Acres steakhouse is nearby but the decor is 20 yrs old and it's not very fun or nice, just basic grilled food.

Sounds good, thanks. I think we'll need just one quick, easy meal around the hotel on Saturday before check-in (we arrive around 11 a.m.). We'll have a car so after that initial meal, we'll head to the FLL Beach area and then LBTS--will be in your neighborhood and taking your recommendation on The Village Grille. Thanks again so much for all the advice you give on these boards, it's much appreciated.

Sounds good, thanks. I think we'll need just one quick, easy meal around the hotel on Saturday before check-in (we arrive around 11 a.m.). We'll have a car so after that initial meal, we'll head to the FLL Beach area and then LBTS--will be in your neighborhood and taking your recommendation on The Village Grille. Thanks again so much for all the advice you give on these boards, it's much appreciated.

If you want fast food, Stirling Rd just east of I95 has BK, McD, and Taco Bell. So if you are going to LBTS let me tell you where to park...there is a metered lot on A1A one block north of Commercial Blvd but you should enter it from the street just west of A1A. There are usually spots available and I think it costs a little less than the spots east of A1A. You will need change to park anywhere, maybe quarters only. Aruba (next to Village Grill) has valet parking but I've never used it. Village Grill has great Boston baked scrod.

If you want fast food, Stirling Rd just east of I95 has BK, McD, and Taco Bell. So if you are going to LBTS let me tell you where to park...there is a metered lot on A1A one block north of Commercial Blvd but you should enter it from the street just west of A1A. There are usually spots available and I think it costs a little less than the spots east of A1A. You will need change to park anywhere, maybe quarters only. Aruba (next to Village Grill) has valet parking but I've never used it. Village Grill has great Boston baked scrod.

Awesome, thanks for the parking info, I was wondering about that. We'll come prepared with change. I was thinking that we'd explore that area on Saturday (we actually arrive on a Friday, I was wrong in a previous post), starting with br'fast at Village Grill....maybe check out Anglin's pier, some of the shops, etc. Maybe Aruba for lunch, or back to Village Grill, ha!

Do you know anything about Flip Flops, the restaurant? Is it around that area as well? Looked kind of cool, but maybe it's more touristy. Wanted to try Anthony's Coal Fired and maybe the Galleria Mall as well...not sure if it's worth it or not..to spend time at a mall.

I hope to live in your area one day, so I really enjoy reading your posts and recommendations. Ft. Lauderdale is beautiful! Thanks again.

Hi LuckiStac13*Majesty

We ate at the hotel since we were only there for 1 night. There is a coffee shop in the lobby( coffee,tea,muffins etc) and a sit down restaurant. We saw a family have a pizza delivered. We inquired about it at the front desk and they gave us some recommendations. I don't remember the name,but my kids ate it so it was good.

We are on Holland America (Amsterdam) 2/19.We are traveling over school vacation. We have taken cruises at this time in the past, so I have an idea about hotel prices. We look early and usually bid on Priceline.

I saw that someone had recommended looking at LMT (before you mentioned it) This price is better than trying to bid on Priceline for Feb!

Hi LuckiStac13*Majesty

We ate at the hotel since we were only there for 1 night. There is a coffee shop in the lobby( coffee,tea,muffins etc) and a sit down restaurant. We saw a family have a pizza delivered. We inquired about it at the front desk and they gave us some recommendations. I don't remember the name,but my kids ate it so it was good.

We are on Holland America (Amsterdam) 2/19.We are traveling over school vacation. We have taken cruises at this time in the past, so I have an idea about hotel prices. We look early and usually bid on Priceline.

I saw that someone had recommended looking at LMT (before you mentioned it) This price is better than trying to bid on Priceline for Feb!

Hi Cruizin :)

Thanks for the info...wasn't aware of the coffee shop in the lobby, so that's good to know.

I agree....I had been watching prices for downtown/the beach area, etc. and everything was so high...when this came across on LMT it was almost a no-brainer for us. Like you said, I doubt we could beat this price on Priceline, and w/ that you have no idea what hotel you're getting. We're sailing on the Navigator of the Seas 2/26 so didn't want to spend an astronomical amount on a pre-cruise hotel before food, taxis, etc. This works out for us very well, saving a ton of money.

Glad it worked out for you, too. We've never cruised before in February...how is the weather during that time? I think last year it was exceptionally cool, but hopefully that trend doesn't continue.

This past February we sailed on the Westerdam from FLL and it cruised the Southern Carribean. Aruba,Curaco and Half Moon Cay (Holland's private island) We had beautiful weather. Bascially it was hot,but no complaints as we left freezing temps here at home. The prior year we did the Eastern Carribean and the weather was nice but the water temp.at the beaches was bit cooler at that time. The weather pattern that Feb was a bit off for even Florida. We always have had good weather and smooth seas! I have to work around a school schedule,so I look for the deals:) We were on the Navigator of the Seas a few years ago when it came out.Great ship, kids loved the Flo Zone. There is lots to do!

This past February we sailed on the Westerdam from FLL and it cruised the Southern Carribean. Aruba,Curaco and Half Moon Cay (Holland's private island) We had beautiful weather. Bascially it was hot,but no complaints as we left freezing temps here at home. The prior year we did the Eastern Carribean and the weather was nice but the water temp.at the beaches was bit cooler at that time. The weather pattern that Feb was a bit off for even Florida. We always have had good weather and smooth seas! I have to work around a school schedule,so I look for the deals:) We were on the Navigator of the Seas a few years ago when it came out.Great ship, kids loved the Flo Zone. There is lots to do!

I've always wanted to do the Southern Caribbean. I can't wait to get to FL and cruise in Feb. b/c I live around Cleveland, and by that time I have HAD IT with the cold! I'm sure you feel the same. Hopefully it's nice for us this Feb!

Awesome, thanks for the parking info, I was wondering about that. We'll come prepared with change. I was thinking that we'd explore that area on Saturday (we actually arrive on a Friday, I was wrong in a previous post), starting with br'fast at Village Grill....maybe check out Anglin's pier, some of the shops, etc. Maybe Aruba for lunch, or back to Village Grill, ha!

Do you know anything about Flip Flops, the restaurant? Is it around that area as well? Looked kind of cool, but maybe it's more touristy. Wanted to try Anthony's Coal Fired and maybe the Galleria Mall as well...not sure if it's worth it or not..to spend time at a mall.

I hope to live in your area one day, so I really enjoy reading your posts and recommendations. Ft. Lauderdale is beautiful! Thanks again.

I love breakfast at Village Grill. Anglin's Pier has a beachy casual restaurant too. Athena by the Sea bought it. The food's just ok. There are a few shops in the area, mostly beachwear and tshirts.

Flip Flops recently opened. We went by there a couple of times and it looked cute but it was totally dead. The menu was very small. Shooter's next door has been there forever and is usually nicely busy but not too busy. The service and food is good there. There are about 20 parking meters in the area about a block away...the parking lots are expensive...Shooter's does have valet parking but I've always found an available meter.

Galleria is really nice and it's so easy to get to from your hotel. It has a Neiman Marcus and Dillards and Macys always have sales. It's not too big. Save Galleria for a yucky day. If you like to do some discount store shopping, there are nice TJMaxx, Home Goods and Marshall's at Coral Ridge Mall.

There is an Anthony's really close to the hotel on US1 just north of State Rd 84. There is also one near LBTS on US 1 just over the northern border of Fort Lauderdale into Pompano Beach.

I love breakfast at Village Grill. Anglin's Pier has a beachy casual restaurant too. Athena by the Sea bought it. The food's just ok. There are a few shops in the area, mostly beachwear and tshirts.

Flip Flops recently opened. We went by there a couple of times and it looked cute but it was totally dead. The menu was very small. Shooter's next door has been there forever and is usually nicely busy but not too busy. The service and food is good there. There are about 20 parking meters in the area about a block away...the parking lots are expensive...Shooter's does have valet parking but I've always found an available meter.

Galleria is really nice and it's so easy to get to from your hotel. It has a Neiman Marcus and Dillards and Macys always have sales. It's not too big. Save Galleria for a yucky day. If you like to do some discount store shopping, there are nice TJMaxx, Home Goods and Marshall's at Coral Ridge Mall.

There is an Anthony's really close to the hotel on US1 just north of State Rd 84. There is also one near LBTS on US 1 just over the northern border of Fort Lauderdale into Pompano Beach.

Wow, you're giving me so many good options! Shooters is a good one, thanks.

We'll probably play it by ear with the Galleria...if the weather's nice we probably won't get there, but you never know. Lots of other spots I want to check out. Hoping it's nice and sunny...hopefully will be in Feb?

Thanks also for the info regarding Anthony's. I didn't realize there was one so close. It seems like everything is basically in the same area, not too far to go even to LBTS, so that's really nice.

One other question...where do you usually park to get to FLL Beach? I think I remember an open lot near the Quarterdeck/Seabreeze Blvd. that you can park in? Is it normally expensive to park for a day/evening? Parking at Beach Place maybe? We like the CVS there.

Wow, you're giving me so many good options! Shooters is a good one, thanks.

We'll probably play it by ear with the Galleria...if the weather's nice we probably won't get there, but you never know. Lots of other spots I want to check out. Hoping it's nice and sunny...hopefully will be in Feb?

Thanks also for the info regarding Anthony's. I didn't realize there was one so close. It seems like everything is basically in the same area, not too far to go even to LBTS, so that's really nice.

One other question...where do you usually park to get to FLL Beach? I think I remember an open lot near the Quarterdeck/Seabreeze Blvd. that you can park in? Is it normally expensive to park for a day/evening? Parking at Beach Place maybe? We like the CVS there.

The last time I checked the lot west of Quarterdeck (intracoastal lot) was 1.75/hr and the one east of Quarterdeck (corner of Las Olas and A1A) was 2.75/hr. You can use cash or credit cards at the meter. There is also a big parking lot on the beach south of Las Olas(beach park lot) but it is under construction so there aren't as many spaces available as usual. The rate there is somewhere between 1.75 and 2.75. Beach Place garage charges often vary but the rate is posted on a board at the entrance; sometimes it can be quite expensive from what I recall. There are other lots around that have a day rate. When I go to that area I park in the intracoastal or beach park lots because I have a city resident card and only pay $6/yr for unlimited parking in those lots. See, there are benefits of living in Fort Lauderdale! It is nice to go on the beach near Beach Place because they have both public restrooms and food/drink options.

It was one of the only hotels with a smoking room for DH, with airport transportation and $9 ea transportation to the port, so I booked it for December for $99 including tax and the other hotels are running $200-$300 for that time period. We do not plan to rent a car. I would like to take the water taxi. I heard it is beautiful on the water with all of the Christmas lights. Can anyone tell me the best (cheapest) way to do that from the hotel? Some friends we met on the Liberty last year would like to meet us at Bimini Boatyard Restaurant near the port. Will it cost us much to go by taxi cab and is that the best way to get to the restaurant for dinner from the Hilton Airport? Does anyone know if the water taxi has a stop anywhere near the restaurant? Thanks

It was one of the only hotels with a smoking room for DH, with airport transportation and $9 ea transportation to the port, so I booked it for December for $99 including tax and the other hotels are running $200-$300 for that time period. We do not plan to rent a car. I would like to take the water taxi. I heard it is beautiful on the water with all of the Christmas lights. Can anyone tell me the best (cheapest) way to do that from the hotel? Some friends we met on the Liberty last year would like to meet us at Bimini Boatyard Restaurant near the port. Will it cost us much to go by taxi cab and is that the best way to get to the restaurant for dinner from the Hilton Airport? Does anyone know if the water taxi has a stop anywhere near the restaurant? Thanks

There is a sign for the water taxi at Bimini Boatyard but I don't know if it still stops there, as it is not on the map on the website. You could call and ask. There is another stop about 2 blocks from there under the west side of the 17th St bridge. A taxi will cost about $20 each way. The only other way would be to take 3 buses, which could take hours.

Archived