Are powerstrips the new no-no?

teddie

well I NEED a fan to sleep at night, and on carnival took it and a and power strip no problem. I called RCI last month with my concerns because we carry phones, ipad, etc., she had me on hold for about 7 or 8 minutes came back and told me they couldn't find any restrictions on fans or powerstrips

Voyager, 11-26-11 NOLA

Thanks, everyone for your replies.

We're mostly on the Explorer as of late. Anyone have this happen on the Explorer recently?

Teddie

Funnily enough, I just got off the explorer yesterday! I had a powerstrip an d had zero problems what so ever. So as of now you shouldn't really have a problem on board explorer. But like someone else said selective enforcement. I love candles and had bought one while we were in st, thomas it went through security easy as pie and I took it up to my room. I bought another candle in puerto rico and security took that one. They returned it to me after I went through customs. I guess its just the luck of the draw there for anything.

Funnily enough, I just got off the explorer yesterday! I had a powerstrip an d had zero problems what so ever. So as of now you shouldn't really have a problem on board explorer. But like someone else said selective enforcement. I love candles and had bought one while we were in st, thomas it went through security easy as pie and I took it up to my room. I bought another candle in puerto rico and security took that one. They returned it to me after I went through customs. I guess its just the luck of the draw there for anything.

Thanks for this information. (Now, candles, I can understand.) Let's see what happens when we cruise this December...

Thanks, everyone.

Teddie

Radio's "Live from Enchantment" post notes that his powerstrip was confiscated! What's up with this? I always bring one with me.

My heart will not be irreparably broken if I can't bring one onboard anymore, but I'm wondering if anyone can shed light on this--is it a new policy ? Is it fleet-wide?

Thanks.

Teddie

They took ours on Allure.

If you have a CPAP please fill out this form at least 14 days before your cruise.

Thanks for posting this.

I tried to fill it out for my husband's CPAP, but it keeps telling me it can't find my reservation number.

I'm looking right at my reservation invoice, so I know it's right.

Is there another method for contacting special needs ( e-mail or phone number?)

Thanks for any help you can give me.

UPDATE: The minute I posted this, I tried the form again and it worked. Gotta love the RCL website!

My husband carries his CPAP and extension cord in his backpack. That way if they want to search his backpack (which they sometimes do), he's right there to explain it's only for the CPAP. They just let him go on through.

It NEVER goes in his checked luggage. He doesn't want to take the chance of it getting stolen or his luggage not arriving with him!

Thanks for this information. (Now, candles, I can understand.) Let's see what happens when we cruise this December...

Thanks, everyone.

Teddie

Yeah, I can understand it too. I just think it's funny that I had two completely different experiences for the same type of item! As long as I had them when I got home (which I did :) ) I didn't care.

Never seen one like that before, seems like that would be a must have, for cruising Brits, plugs into the 230v Euro Outlet and give you UK 13a sockets

Now I'm undecided. I had it added to basket but not checked out before I came on here. I'd get use out of it some other time, but if I can't use it on the cruise, then it could wait and be bought later.

We usually don't have need for more than a couple outlets so in addition to the 110v US standard we bring a plug adapter for the Euro style outlet. Laptop and most electronics can deal with either voltage so they go on the plug adapter. There is another outlet in the bathroom but it loses power when the light is turned off.

Radio's "Live from Enchantment" post notes that his powerstrip was confiscated! What's up with this? I always bring one with me.

My heart will not be irreparably broken if I can't bring one onboard anymore, but I'm wondering if anyone can shed light on this--is it a new policy ? Is it fleet-wide?

Thanks.

Teddie

DW and I sailed on the Enchanment the 28th of July this year. My extension cord was confiscated but my power strip went thorugh.

I was told my ship security that since the power strip had an on / off switch it was OK.

BTW I packed them in my luggage and not as carry on.

[quote name='ryano']If you use a CPAP they will provide an extension cord for you along with distilled water.:)[/quote]

Unless they happen to be out of them like they were when we honeymooned on the Rhapsody years ago. We didn't know the plug situation or that we needed to request one in advance. Fortunately, the CPAP cord [B][I]barely[/I][/B] reached the plug. I've never risked it since. We have always brought our own cord. There's no way I'm not sleeping because of DH's snoring for seven days.

[quote name='PCWalton1']I have a small Belkin Mini Surge Protector that gives me extra outlets, but is much smaller than the standard power strips, so less noticable. :)
[URL]http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=400738[/URL][/quote]

I have that and was actually coming in this thread to promote it. Works great and fits in the carry-on (or in my case, my CPAP case).

Thanks for the all the great information regarding power strips and/or extension cords and other electrical things.

I learned of the mini fans issue a couple of years ago. I purchased and bring a battery operated (with extra batteries) fan because I could not possibly enjoy a week without it.

I agree with the previous posters that, if for some reason your equipment is confiscated and can not be returned during the voyage, your room steward can at least get the heavy duty extension cord for you to use.

The Oasis had the most hidden by the bed outlets in the Boardwalk Balcony cabin that I have ever seen. The cabin steward crawled under the bed to plug my CPAP machine in with my extension cord and returned to unplug it at the end of the trip.

I just ordered the Belkin Mini with USB (Amazon),since it can charge my camera and net book at the same time.

If you have any special needs or concerns call the Special Needs Desk at 866-592-7225 for the assistance that Royal Caribbean is known for. No one wants to be miserable either health wise or by not being able to connect to others while on vacation.

Just read in this thread

[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1464245[/url]

and in a recent review that there's another outlet located behind the bed, under the headboard, for those who are able to move the bed to access it. I'm sailing on the Oasis this Saturday so I'll be able to verify this shortly. As a precaution, I just purchased the Belkin adapter with USB inputs for $12 from an online retailer -- am hoping it arrives before I leave town!

I keep an extension cord in my CPAP carrier, for cruises and for hotel rooms. Not I have a
new use for it. I read so much on vacation my Nook needs recharging a lot. I can lie in bed
and read while I charge it ONLY if I have an extension cord. I sure hope I don't have to use
one of those heavy orange industrial ones......I might have to go back to bringing a suitcase full of books.

I can't find the recent thread on this same subject. An electrical engineer posted that the reason the outlets are limited it because the ship generates just so much electricity. Power strips are a fire hazard. Here's a link with info to Trace Atkins house burning down recently due to a faulty power strip in the garage. [url]http://www.sfowler.com/investigations/Surge%20Protectors.htm[/url]

In my apartment, we're not allowed to have "extension cords" or "power strips," only "surge protectors." I'm not really sure the difference, other than surge protectors have a switch on them. But extension cords/power strips are a fire hazard.

Are surge protectors allowed on cruise ships?

Reading these comments (I also saw Radio's comment about his brother having his confiscated) got me worried, so I went ahead and called RC and asked for a extension cord for my CPAP for my upcoming cruise. I usually bring my own extension cord in the CPAP carrying case, and will continue to do so, but this way if they take mine, at least I have a back up plan.

[QUOTE]I'm not really sure the difference, other than surge protectors have a switch on them. [/QUOTE]

I think most surge protectors have a fuse in them so if overloaded that would blow before anything could get hot. But RCI can't count on that and consequences of fire at sea are just too large to risk it.

It seems to me that the lack of power outlets on cruise ships has been an issue for many many years, why haven't the cruise lines recognized this problem and built these new, beautiful ships with a few extra outlets, then people wouldn't need to bring extension cords and power strips? Especially since the age of electronics is upon us. My husband and I both have cell phones, ipods, a camera, a video camera, and computers. And we are using these items every day (maybe not the phones, but I wouldn't like mine to become completely uncharged in case I need to use it) so they need recharging. Maybe powerstrips aren't ideal but the cruise industry hasn't given us a solution that works better.

Archived