Penalty?

Mskala

Hi all...so here's the deal.

My SO and I are booked on the Pride for September 11th. His family was supposed to book the same cruise. However, we found out yesterday that they booked the sailing that's a week BEFORE our own.

I called Carnival to see if we could change to the earlier sailing and was told we could IF we wanted to pay a 75% penalty! So, needless to say, I left our reservation as is. Now, I reservation was NOT an ES rate but a PG rate so the 75% kind of threw me off but I didn't want to change itineraries anyway so I didn't fuss.

So, my question is this...

Would there be a penalty for changing to a LATER booking? And has anyone successfully avoided any associated penalties when changing?

Thanks a bunch for any input!

I think, at this point since you're within the 75-day window, they will charge you a penalty regardless of the reason. In this situation, since it's a voluntary change of bookings, I doubt travel insurance (if you purchased it) would help you either. Hopefully others with actual experience on this will have a better answer. :o

Hi all...so here's the deal.

My SO and I are booked on the Pride for September 11th. His family was supposed to book the same cruise. However, we found out yesterday that they booked the sailing that's a week BEFORE our own.

I called Carnival to see if we could change to the earlier sailing and was told we could IF we wanted to pay a 75% penalty! So, needless to say, I left our reservation as is. Now, I reservation was NOT an ES rate but a PG rate so the 75% kind of threw me off but I didn't want to change itineraries anyway so I didn't fuss.

So, my question is this...

Would there be a penalty for changing to a LATER booking? And has anyone successfully avoided any associated penalties when changing?

Thanks a bunch for any input!

Yes you would be charged a penalty for changing to a later booking.

When you change to doesnt really have anything to do with it.

It's how close you are to sailing on the currently booked cruise you are when you cancel.

Bill

What everyone has said is correct~

Per Carnival.com

Cancellation Policy for Bookings Made On or After 09/11/2010

2, 3, 4, & 5 day cruises --29 to 15 days Deposit or 75% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

6 day or longer cruises (including Alaska and Hawaii)--29 to 15 days Deposit or 75% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/Reservation_TandC.aspx

So after a call or two and being really, really nice, a PVP escalated our problem and we were able to come away with paying just a $200 administrative fee and sacrificing the lower rate. But, we were still able to keep our room upgrade and now everyone is happy and will be sailing together.....

Thank you all for your replies.

Archived