Linking reservations ?

Just found out my cousin can join us on Oasis;:D wondering about linking reservations. I've linked multiple cabins for my own family in the past where I am in charge of everything; but I am wondering if I link to my cousins reservation :

1) can either of us " book" things for both cabins( 4 people), or will only one of us " own " the reservations and be able to " book" while the other would not?

2) if we both have MTD can we arrange to dine together if we DONT link the reservations? How have you done this ( we like to book in advance)

3) if we are linked and have to pay; can we pay with two credit cards? And does that mean we'd need to have eachothers numbers?

I guess it would be handy for one of us to book the communal dinners, but both parties want to be able to book excursions and entertainment independently. Neither of us wants to lose control of the ability to book if we link.

Any advice folks have on this would be greatly appreciated ! TIA!

Just found out my cousin can join us on Oasis;:D wondering about linking reservations. I've linked multiple cabins for my own family in the past where I am in charge of everything; but I am wondering if I link to my cousins reservation :

1) can either of us " book" things for both cabins( 4 people), or will only one of us " own " the reservations and be able to " book" while the other would not?

2) if we both have MTD can we arrange to dine together if we DONT link the reservations? How have you done this ( we like to book in advance)

3) if we are linked and have to pay; can we pay with two credit cards? And does that mean we'd need to have eachothers numbers?

I guess it would be handy for one of us to book the communal dinners, but both parties want to be able to book excursions and entertainment independently. Neither of us wants to lose control of the ability to book if we link.

Any advice folks have on this would be greatly appreciated ! TIA!

If choosing MTD there is really no reason to link reservations, at least that I can see.

So yes you can pay with different cards, you can book things only for your reservation, and you lose no independence regarding the reservation.

My experience is linking only means if you eat traditional dining you will be seated together, nothing else.

Thanks fOr the info on MTD.

My linked Jewel reservations allow me to book excursions and other stuff for both cabins (for any or all of the 4 people within the 2 cabins), so it's not just for dining. My question is really about the control of linked reservations. Has anyone had experience with linking with friends? Can either or both parties book things like entertainment, dining, and excursions, or does only one party have access to the reservation?

In my experience, linking bookings (done on the web site) only works to let you purchase stuff and make reservations for both reservations when the last name is the same. I tried adding my friend's booking so I could reserve shows for him as well and the web site didn't let me add his booking to mine.

We are, however, linked for dining purposes. It doesn't show up as a selectable booking number for reservations and purchasing items, though.

It's easy to do, just call RCI and ask them to link the reservation numbers (you will need your cousin's reservation number). I do it all the time.

1) Once linked either one of you can make reservations for both reservations.

2) Since you are reserving your MTD times in advance you may as well link the reservations. That way you can reserve the table size you need for the times you want. However like cb said I don't think it is absolutely necessary as long as you all show up at the same time.

3) You do not lose the ability to book or charge things independently. Each reservation if free to book whatever excursions, dining times, & show times they want. If you want to book something for the other reservation you can. If you don't, you don't have to. Also nothing is written in stone. If one reservation wants to drop out of something or change a reservation they may do so.

In my experience, linking bookings (done on the web site) only works to let you purchase stuff and make reservations for both reservations when the last name is the same. I tried adding my friend's booking so I could reserve shows for him as well and the web site didn't let me add his booking to mine.

We are, however, linked for dining purposes. It doesn't show up as a selectable booking number for reservations and purchasing items, though.

The last name does not have to be the same to link reservations. Call RCI and they will do it over the phone. I have made reservations for dining and shows for three cabins (all different last names) for next Sunday's Freedom cruise without any problems.

It's easy to do, just call RCI and ask them to link the reservation numbers (you will need your cousin's reservation number). I do it all the time.

1) Once linked either one of you can make reservations for both reservations.

2) Since you are reserving your MTD times in advance you may as well link the reservations. That way you can reserve the table size you need for the times you want. However like cb said I don't think it is absolutely necessary as long as you all show up at the same time.

3) You do not lose the ability to book or charge things independently. Each reservation if free to book whatever

excursions, dining times, & show times they want. If you want to book

something for the other reservation you can. If you don't, you don't have to.

Also nothing is written in stone. If one reservation wants to drop out of

something or change a reservation they may do so.

Thank you Finbar- this is exactly what I needed to know! I didnt want to link them if it means she can't book her own excursions and shows. She asked me to select which dinners we would like to do together and pre reserving them seemed the easy way to do that. Of course we've done MTD many times and love the flexibility of being able to pre reserve or not, change anytime. Add people etc Very convenient!

Dahgis- maybe you have to call? I will try it online, but I have her reservation # if I need to call.

I always like to follow up for future forum searchers;)

I called C & A( I always call C&A I've earned that #, I'm using it:p) and was told that reservations booked from different sources cannot be linked ( for instance I booked onboard, my cousin booked with Expedia).

However, she told me they can link dining for early or late seatings; so people who book in different places can obviously dine together.

For MTD, as noted by previous posters, you can just show up together. You can also book ahead if you know the other party' s reservation # and last name.

You go to your reservations and there is a place to click if you want to dine with" someone from another reservation". You add their # and name and proceed to add them to your reservation. You can add more people from other reservations too. And if you want to add those folks to additional reservations, their info comes up automatically for the other days and you just have to

check them. If they already booked for that day, it will tell you that too.

Very civilized and very easy!

"I called C & A( I always call C&A I've earned that #, I'm using it:p) and was told that reservations booked from different sources cannot be linked ( for instance I booked onboard, my cousin booked with Expedia)." oops, this was supposed to be a quote from a previous post by Familygoboston

Not sure that is correct. I have linked reservations with 2 other couples, we all booked separately and 2 of those was with a CVS, the other was through an outside source.

Those reservations have been linked for a year now, and we have each been able to do what was needed, either alone or with the group. 1 reservation actually was changed during the year, and when it gor rebooked with a new reservation number, it too was linked in.

All in all, I have been very pleased with the whole process. It has allowed us to plan all our excursions as a group!!!

I also agree that I think CS was wrong about not being able to link reservations that were booked separately or from different sources. I know you do not need to have the same names.

My experience with linking - when you make reservations for entertainment or specialty dining, you can supply the other party's reservation number. The reservations do not need to be linked. Either party can initiate the linked reservation. If there is a cost, the party booking it pays the cost at the time the reservation is made.

I also agree that I think CS was wrong about not being able to link reservations that were booked separately or from different sources. I know you do not need to have the same names.

My experience with linking - when you make reservations for entertainment or specialty dining, you can supply the other party's reservation number. The reservations do not need to be linked. Either party can initiate the linked reservation. If there is a cost, the party booking it pays the cost at the time the reservation is made.

If you all have done it; it must be possible. A CS rep with the wrong info... I can't imagine:rolleyes:

Anyway, it is quite simple to book for others at the same time so long as you have their res. # and last name. I'm glad to hear you can do that for shows too as we will want to book shows together too.

Thanks for the info!

In my experience, linking bookings (done on the web site) only works to let you purchase stuff and make reservations for both reservations when the last name is the same.

I just wanted to follow up that this definitely doesn't seem to be the case, and one can add other people with mismatched last names.

I just played around in my reservation and added my friend's reservation when trying to make dining reservations or a FlowRider lesson, and in both cases, the web site happily added my friend to my "shopping cart".

Archived