Emerald - early morning coffee?

speedy59

Hi All, First time on Princess. Wife and I are early risers (5:00 AM or so). Besides room service is there a place on the Emerald to get some coffee at that time. We always enjoy an early morning stroll around the deck with a container of coffee and watch the sun come up.

Sometimes on a cruise we even stay up until 11:00PM but our adult kids don't believe it !!!!!!!

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I told my wife I wanted to bring our Keurig coffee maker but she refused to agree. The "swill" in Horizon court is better than it used to be. The good coffee is at the coffee bar on deck 5 but the bar doesn't open until 7 am. You can make your own in the cabin with a little curly Q heater and instant coffee or a french press but that's no fun. The "swill" coffee comes from syrup and is on both sides of Horizon and seems to be on 24/7 and available to passengers even though the buffet line may be closed.

I told my wife I wanted to bring our Keurig coffee maker but she refused to agree. The "swill" in Horizon court is better than it used to be. The good coffee is at the coffee bar on deck 5 but the bar doesn't open until 7 am. You can make your own in the cabin with a little curly Q heater and instant coffee or a french press but that's no fun. The "swill" coffee comes from syrup and is on both sides of Horizon and seems to be on 24/7 and available to passengers even though the buffet line may be closed.

The Keurig is a little unwieldy; even the one cupper. Then there's the cups themselves; takes up too much space. I travel with a one cup Melitta and a bag of Starbucks. And Via too.

Oh gang, c'mon now. I will admit that 5-7 years ago the syrupified coffee base used by Princess was indeed one of the most horrible things ever to hit the bottom of a coffee mug, HOWEVER!!!

Over the past few years (2008-now) the coffee quality has improved significantly to the point that on the Golden, Star, Diamond and Crown it was just as good as coffee from home (except the Chai Latte in my Kuerig Pia :D) .

That should not deter you from considering purchase of a coffee card if you are into special coffees such as lattes or cappuccinos or if you prefer freshly brewed coffees from the IC. Remember not to use all your punches on your coffee card as as long as you have at least one left you can obtain unlimited freshly brewed coffees without that last coffee punch being made.

Welcome to Princess and hope you will truly be able to "Escape Completely".

Ciao for now!!!

Oh gang, c'mon now. I will admit that 5-7 years ago the syrupified coffee base used by Princess was indeed one of the most horrible things ever to hit the bottom of a coffee mug, HOWEVER!!!

Over the past few years (2008-now) the coffee quality has improved significantly to the point that on the Golden, Star, Diamond and Crown it was just as good as coffee from home (except the Chai Latte in my Kuerig Pia :D) .

That should not deter you from considering purchase of a coffee card if you are into special coffees such as lattes or cappuccinos or if you prefer freshly brewed coffees from the IC. Remember not to use all your punches on your coffee card as as long as you have at least one left you can obtain unlimited freshly brewed coffees without that last coffee punch being made.

Ciao for now!!!

Aw............Ron............. your palate must have become stagnant. That yucky coffee hasn't changed one iota. I guess you just got used to it. :D Toto is a "better man than I am"; she actually tastes it. I don't subject myself to that anymore.

For those early risers who wish to bring coffee back to their cabin from Horizon Court.

If the ratio of coffee tar syrup to water is not consistent (and it is NOT) you get varying degrees of nastiness with individual cups. But if you were to retain a carafe received in room service and fill it at the HC from the spout of darkness, the end result is at least consistent and we have found the taste to be slightly improved over the individual cup.

For those early risers who wish to bring coffee back to their cabin from Horizon Court.

If the ratio of coffee tar syrup to water is not consistent (and it is NOT) you get varying degrees of nastiness with individual cups. But if you were to retain a carafe received in room service and fill it at the HC from the spout of darkness, the end result is at least consistent and we have found the taste to be slightly improved over the individual cup.

We solved our morning problem by ordering hot water and bringing Starbuck's Via along with us. The rest of the day our Coffee Cards work for us.

We solved our morning problem by ordering hot water and bringing Starbuck's Via along with us. The rest of the day our Coffee Cards work for us.

Here's another idea: Bring a large insulated coffee mug. Fill it with the syrup coffee. Then tweek it up with Starbucks Via, to taste. One packet of Via can jazz up two large mugs. We do the same thing at hotels that have coffee makers, but give you those pre-measured packets that are never strong enough.

But good coffee is important, isn't it?

I still don't know why cruise lines don't compete with each other over which has the best coffee. The winner would get my ticket every time.

Here's another idea: Bring a large insulated coffee mug. Fill it with the syrup coffee. Then tweek it up with Starbucks Via, to taste. One packet of Via can jazz up two large mugs. We do the same thing at hotels that have coffee makers, but give you those pre-measured packets that are never strong enough.

But good coffee is important, isn't it?

I still don't know why cruise lines don't compete with each other over which has the best coffee. The winner would get my ticket every time.

The secret with hotel coffee is to use less water. I won't waste my Via by mixing it with syrup. Via alone does it for me.

As the coffee debate continues, I'm right there with most of you...I brought Via for that 1st cup of the morning in the room and bought a card card for the rest of the day on our only other Princess Cruise in '09. But here is the big question that for the life of me I can not remember.

Do they deliver 1/2 &1/2 from room service or is it non-dairy creamer? For me, I enjoy the 1/2 & 1/2 and that really makes or breaks the cup of joe. We loved our other Princess cruise and are finally coming back since Celebrity doesn't do Caribbian until Nov/dec. But that's another thread....

Ciao for now!!!

Caption Ron. I might be in the minority as well. I really don't mind the coffee in the Horizon at all. Perhaps it's because I don't drink it black. I add lots of stuff to it - don't know if that's why but it has never bothered me. I actually like it. I don't buy a coffee card. I do buy a couple of specialty coffees per cruise. I get the Nutty Irishman - yummy:D:D

Caption Ron. I might be in the minority as well. I really don't mind the coffee in the Horizon at all. Perhaps it's because I don't drink it black. I add lots of stuff to it - don't know if that's why but it has never bothered me. I actually like it. I don't buy a coffee card. I do buy a couple of specialty coffees per cruise. I get the Nutty Irishman - yummy:D:D

Dear goodness girl....between me trying the Milky Way Martinis and now this Nutty Irishman, let's just say I am going to be smiling from sunrise to sunset in four weeks :)

I buy the coffee card and use it well....BUT ...I also add so much cream and a little suger (which I do anyhow...nothing like a hot coffee milkshake :D) that I will drink the Princess syrup coffee :eek:

For Me....One of the GREAT pleasures of cruising is ordering coffee from Room Service each morning when I wake up. It is free. I take a small roll of one dollar bills to tip..3 or 4 each morning. It comes in ten minutes usually. I have an entire pot of coffee..good and hot. A little sugar server with Suprema or what ever too...a little pot of milk...napkins..two cups...AND my DH told me he didn't want to bother and not to get cup for him...is always happy to get his cup when the wonderful coffee aroma hits the room..then he ..goes out on the balcony...then comes in and tells me how nice it is to just sit..watch the ocean...and let the world go by..for a week at least.

I LOVE IT. I URGE YOU TO TRY IT AT LEAST ONCE. I seldom order room service at any other time. And I don't use the spa....have my hair done..or otherwise pamper myself..but this one luxury.....sweet.

We are early risers too. The coffee also keeps my husband busy...sitting out there..while I dress for the day. Takes me longer. Then..we head for the MDR usually. My eyes are always bigger than my stomach on the buffet. I wind up just gobbling up there....particularly their little cinnamon buns..rolls.

Dear goodness girl....between me trying the Milky Way Martinis and now this Nutty Irishman, let's just say I am going to be smiling from sunrise to sunset in four weeks :)

I buy the coffee card and use it well....BUT ...I also add so much cream and a little suger (which I do anyhow...nothing like a hot coffee milkshake :D) that I will drink the Princess syrup coffee :eek:

Oh my! What a bad influence I am! I have waited all my life to be the "bad" girl:D It's funny because in my every day life I don't drink much of those really sweet, creamy drinks. I'm a straight up vodka martini girl. But on a cruise - well - that's a different story. On the Sapphire I do have a morning or two where I buy that Nutty Irishman coffee and take it out on the Promenade deck and enjoy that lovely oean view.

Four weeks until your cruise. Lucky you!

The Coffee bar by the I.C. is great. I loved it. Visited it often. Once..I could not find my Sail Card..major panic. Would I even be able to get off of the ship?

So Backtrack..where had I been that morning..got to the Coffee Bar...The "coffee man" was smiling..held it up in his hand...he had found it wen I took it off to sign a recipt and locked it up. He said if I had not shown up. quickly....it would have gone to Guest Services...

Need I say that I LOVED the staff at that Coffee Bar? Always smiling...always with a joke...They were sort of a bit of sunshine in the morning themselves..and the cookies at the I.C to go with the Coffee...............it does not get any better..food wise.

Please don't pre judge the coffee at the Horizon Court by everyone elses comments. I think people are pre-programmed to think it is going to be horrible before they even try it. My boyfriend is a coffee snob. He grinds his own beans fresh every morning and will only use certain brands. When he went on his first cruise I said nothing about the coffee and let him judge on his own. After drinking his first cup I asked him how it was. He said it was fine. He had no problem drinking it all week. :)

Archived