Passport!

sailingnut

closed loop, not really needed

just pray you dont have to fly home in a hurry

i got them for my kids not only for our closed loop last year, but we also drive to Montreal alot...

i liked having a gov't ID for my minors...didn't want to have to carry their BC's

everywhere we went...

My neighbor just informed me that passports are not needed on cruises anymore, she is in another world. Wait:o until her daughter goes on a cruise to Bermuda in the fall. She is in for a surprise!:)

Surprise! She's right.:rolleyes: They have never been required on "closed loop" cruises like Bermuda.......you only need it if you need to fly back home. They are highly recommended, but not required.

Guess what - SHE is right. They are not needed. And you owe her an apology. ;)

The Bermuda cruise is a closed loop cruise, meaning leaving and coming from the same US port. It does NOT require a passport, only a US govt issue photo ID (drivers license) and certified birth certificate to cruise.

As long as she doesn't have to fly back from Bermuda due to an emergency, she can cruise.

Now go apologize to her.

Here is the exact language from the NCL website regarding passports:

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

For closed-loop sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you need a valid passport OR proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver's license with a photo) or any other WHTI compliant document. Proof of Citizenship examples include: an original or state certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate, original certificate of U.S. naturalization, original certificate of U.S. citizenship, or a U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad. Baptismal paper and hospital certificates of birth are not acceptable. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 do not require a government-issued photo ID.

For open-jaw sailings (cruises that depart from one U.S. port and return to a different U.S. port), you are required to carry a valid passport, U.S. passport card, U.S. or Canadian Enhanced Drivers License, as well as have in your possession all relative visas that pertain to your travel itinerary. Permanent residents of the U.S. are required to carry their valid ARC cards for boarding AND passport from their country of citizenship, if available.

Note: If you miss your ship at its scheduled U.S. departure port and need to travel outside the U.S. to meet your ship, or should you unexpectedly need to depart the ship from a foreign port prior to the end of sailing, a passport would be required to leave or re-enter the U.S. by air. To that end, NCL strongly recommends all guests to obtain a passport for their voyage on any NCL vessel.

This clearly states that some form of proof of citizenship is required, either the passport or the various other acceptable forms. So while it is true that the passport is not required, this should not be interpreted to mean that acceptable proof of citizenship is not required. Don't let your neighbor try to send her daughter off to Bermuda without the correct paperwork. She won't get past the dock.

Here's the link to the NCL page:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=PassportRequirements

For closed-loop sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you need a valid passport OR proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver's license with a photo)Proof of Citizenship examples include: an original or state certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate

Yes, in English, Driver's license and certified birth certificate.

Thanks for providing the wording from the NCL site. :D

Yes, in English, Driver's license and certified birth certificate.

Thanks for providing the wording from the NCL site. :D

Crusinmama: Wasn't disagreeing with you, just wanted to make sure the OP knew that some form of proof of citizenship was required. Too easy to say "no passport" and leave it at that....then get stuck at the dock and denied boarding.

Your post was completely correct, and certainly easier to understand than NCL's legalese.

Well, I like my passport and will use it every time I cruise! She is a pain in the neck anyway, thinks she knows everything!:o

We understand. This time, the pain in the neck was correct. You'll get her the next time. ;):D

Crusinmama: Wasn't disagreeing with you, just wanted to make sure the OP knew that some form of proof of citizenship was required.

I know. :D I was honestly thanking you for grabbing it off the NCL site. :D

Traveling ( leaving the US ) without a passport in these times is a really Bad idea. I dont care if its Bermuda or Canada , when your standing on the other side looking in you'll wish you had it . :p

totally AGREE...and one day soon they will be MANDATORY for everyone--i see this coming!!!

totally AGREE...and one day soon they will be MANDATORY for everyone--i see this coming!!!

Not any time in the near future. The cruise ship industry fought hard to make sure there still would be no passport requirement for closed loop cruises. DHS has no rule changes proposed, and short of a crisis causing a national emergency, it could take years for new rules to be put into effect after they are proposed.

My neighbor just informed me that "PASSPORTS ARE NOT NEEDED ON CRUISES ANYMORE", she is in another world. Wait:o until her daughter goes on a cruise to Bermuda in the fall. She is in for a surprise!:)

The statement is wrong. Check the wording.

It's a question of risk management whether or not to get a passport for a closed loop cruise. I am not sure what the percentage is but would guess that a very, very high percentage of passengers leave and return on their cruises with no issues whatsoever. (Of course if you get left behind that percentage jumps to 100% from your point of view;)).

It's a question of risk management whether or not to get a passport for a closed loop cruise. I am not sure what the percentage is but would guess that a very, very high percentage of passengers leave and return on their cruises with no issues whatsoever. (Of course if you get left behind that percentage jumps to 100% from your point of view;)).

I guess thats my real point . The minor cost and hassle of getting and keeping a passport is not worth not having one . Once you get one its good for 10 years (if your over 16) and you never have to think about what paper work is accepted . Its the American Express of ID World wide. ;)

I guess thats my real point . The minor cost and hassle of getting and keeping a passport is not worth not having one . Once you get one its good for 10 years (if your over 16) and you never have to think about what paper work is accepted . Its the American Express of ID World wide. ;)

I went with my daughter just last week to the post office to get her first passport. We were in and out of there in about 15 minutes, picture taken and paperwork completed. Very quick and easy.

Archived