Afraid I'll forget something!!

megnsamsgracie

I have been on so many cruises but in a short amount of time.. so my packing list was pretty fresh, now its been almost 2 years and I leave Saturday and freaking I will forget something!! I have my trusted folder with my passport and his birth certificate, then all the confirmations... airline, transportation, set sail pass, and all confirmations for excursions and our vouchers for our free speciality dinner and spa treatment. We have contacted our CC companies that we will be out of the country just in case... but what little things can I forget?

As long as you have all of your paperwork together and a credit card, anything you forget can be picked up along the way. Medication might be the only exception, but still should be obtainable.

Relax & enjoy. If you forget something, just buy one of whatever it is that you forgot and don't let it ruin your trip.

Turn the automatic ice maker off so you are flooded w/ice in the freezer (ours keeps going unless we turn it off). We also have a neighbor check our house and ask them to pull a specific item from the freezer and put it in the fridge two days before we return so when we get home we have something fairly quick to eat. Make sure you set your tivo to programs you don't want to miss! Enjoy and have a great cruise. I know how you feel, we leave in 8 days!

Clean your house right before you leave. It's MUCH nicer to come home to a clean house than a messy one.

Traveling with young kids? Pack their favorite stuffed animal/doll/action figure/blanket/whatever it is that they have to have with them in bed or else they'll cry for hours.

The last thing you do before you leave home is double-check that you have your tickets and passports with you. Then, go. As soon as you reach the point of no return, do not allow yourself to think about anything else you might have forgotten. Just resign yourself to doing without it, whatever "it" is.

THanks guys! No kids this trip.. although I did freak because the weekend I get back is my weekend, and their dad didnt want to keep them til Saturday, so babysitter was going to keep them.. well she asked for the day off but her boss put her on anyway :( But crisis averted and kids are all set! I did forget to do the mail.. and will turn the water off to the washing machine. I have all the basics set... I figure as long as paperwork, passport and credit card are with me, I can get whatever it is along the way...but I am a total planner type personality.. so want all my ducks in a row!

charging cables, camera, travel notice on security alarm if you have one, binoculars (never fails when we forget it we actually want to use it), for men - dress socks for suite/tux/slacks & belt (DH has forgotten these), stomach meds, glasses, extra pair of contacts & solution, um that's what I can think of off the top of my head...

the last cruise we went on I realized in the cab on the way to the airport I forgot our folder with all of our cruise documents/airline confirmations. Yikes :eek:

I knew we wouldn't have any problems with the airline since we had our FF cards, but wasn't sure about RCCL. We called their (800) number from the cab and found out they would be able to look us up with our last names and passports.

Really - just make sure you take ID documents and a bathing suit. I figure those are the most important - LOL!

Things I have forgotten:

Passport - :eek:

Right Black Heel

Left black wedge

Casual slacks

Passport - cost some money but my Nephew was able to drive all night to deliver it to me at the hotel.

Shoes - Didn't wear planned outfit due to shoe malfunction. :rolleyes:

Slacks - Bought 2 great pairs of slacks in Nassau.

So far I've not forgotten money, credit cards, or meds. Just give me time and a few more cruises.

If you search these boards ( packing list) you will find some really, really comprehensive lists ( if we all brought all of that ; the ship would sink ;))

You said it yourself; if you have your passport, paperwork,pills and payment(cc) you are good to go! Then you can let it all go and relax!

One tip: I always stop at the end of the driveway while I'm in the car and physically lay my hands on the passport. I do the same whenever I collect luggage to go to the next step ( outof the car, after a connection, at the pier etc) I don't pull them out,( unless they are needed) just touch them!

Have a great cruise!

Things I have forgotten:

Passport - :eek:

Right Black Heel

Left black wedge

Casual slacks

Passport - cost some money but my Nephew was able to drive all night to deliver it to me at the hotel.

Shoes - Didn't wear planned outfit due to shoe malfunction. :rolleyes:

Slacks - Bought 2 great pairs of slacks in Nassau.

So far I've not forgotten money, credit cards, or meds. Just give me time and a few more cruises.

That would be a nightmare for me! I have wide feet and have a heck of a time finding cute, comfortable shoes so I'd probably end up wearing flipflops with my formal outfit, lol.

Turn the water off for the entire house. What if the water heater or a pipe ruptures in the master bathroom?

I do this also. DH thinks I'm crazy. Our water heaters are in the attic.

If you search these boards ( packing list) you will find some really, really comprehensive lists ( if we all brought all of that ; the ship would sink ;))

You said it yourself; if you have your passport, paperwork,pills and payment(cc) you are good to go! Then you can let it all go and relax!

One tip: I always stop at the end of the driveway while I'm in the car and physically lay my hands on the passport. I do the same whenever I collect luggage to go to the next step ( outof the car, after a connection, at the pier etc) I don't pull them out,( unless they are needed) just touch them!

Have a great cruise!

The 'stop in the driveway and check for passport/other necessary papers' is essential.

I luckily did check once as we were pulling out of the driveway for a 13 day Transatlantic cruise. Yes, I had two little blue books, but one of them (mine) was actually an address book that was about the same size and color. I had grabbed it out of the drawer where I keep our passports, not noticing it was the wrong book.

I now obsessively check paperwork and keep the passports in a totally different location!

Although not as relevant this time of year I have flown to FL for an eastern caribbean cruise (from Canada... in December...) got to the hotel to change out of the jeans and fleece jacket that I was slow roasting in, open the suitcase only to find an empty spot where the pile of 5 pairs of shorts should have been. Luckily we flew 2 days early so the rest of the day was spent in make shift capri pants (jeans rolled up) hunting down shorts... who woulda thought they were hard to find in Florida when it's 80 degrees out in December!!

Fast forward 12 days and find 5 pairs of ironed nicely folded shorts sitting on the end of the ironing board :eek:

you would think I would have learned the first time... the next cruise I headed to FL (of course the flight leaves in the darkness of night) get to FL into my rental car and dig in my bag for my sunglasses... nope not there! At least it was an justification for my new Ray Ban's... and my sunglasses were sitting on my kitchen counter when I got home!

In spite of my extensive lists, we always forget something. It's been as insignificant as dress socks (SIL) and one year a wallet that we had to go back for...geez. Luckily, we travel as a family and someone usually has a "replacement" item. We've also packed things we didn't mean to. My Dad has bought some new slacks and a new suit before one of our cruises. My Mom called frantic. All his slacks had the anti-theft ink sensor still attached. We had a sewing kit and luckily the sucker was right in the seam. We were able to un-stitch the seam for about an inch and get the thing removed and the little place sewn back together.

Archived