Does Princess no longer sail the Caribbean in the summer?

Astro

It's been about 3 years since we last sailed Princes in the Caribbean during the summer. I noticed from October through April, they have 5 ships in the Caribbean but none during the summer months. I can understand them pulling most of the shipps to do Europe, but why not leave even one ship in the Caribbean. Anybody know why and if they plan to have any in the future? thx

It's been about 3 years since we last sailed Princes in the Caribbean during the summer. I noticed from October through April, they have 5 ships in the Caribbean but none during the summer months. I can understand them pulling most of the shipps to do Europe, but why not leave even one ship in the Caribbean. Anybody know why and if they plan to have any in the future? thx

They had ships there in 2007 and then again in 2010. Stay tuned for 2013.

Actually, this came up on another thread and from what we were able to determine, Princess actually was on the low end of the price scale..

I wish they weren't pulling out of Brooklyn too. Those cruises sailed full, with waiting lists, at premium prices.

I am sad, too, that Princess is not in the Caribbean during the summer. A family of educators, we can only cruise in the summer. Princess is our favorite line, and the Caribbean is an easier, more affordable cruise from the East Coast for us. We have booked the Baltics for next summer in the hopes we will be able to save enough. If not, we'll be looking at another cruise line or an alternative land vacation.

Actually, this came up on another thread and from what we were able to determine, Princess actually was on the low end of the price scale..

Even so, with long wait lists and substantial move-over offers (we received two such offers), they could have raised the price a little and still sail full from Brooklyn.

Even so, with long wait lists and substantial move-over offers (we received two such offers), they could have raised the price a little and still sail full from Brooklyn.

The price of the cruise is not the issue... my understanding is that the yields were low (what people spend onboard) and that was one of the deciding factors to skip Caribbean cruises from New York next year.

The price of the cruise is not the issue... my understanding is that the yields were low (what people spend onboard) and that was one of the deciding factors to skip Caribbean cruises from New York next year.

Mmmm...that makes sense.

Im sad about it too. When I mentioned this on the boards months ago, someone helpfully pointed out that RCCL has the Bohemoth of the Seas sailing to the Caribbean from Ft. Lauderdale during the summer months.

Ummmm, no thank you. I don't think I want to be one of six thousand waiting in line for breakfast every morning. :eek:

Karen

Im sad about it too. When I mentioned this on the boards months ago, someone helpfully pointed out that RCCL has the Bohemoth of the Seas sailing to the Caribbean from Ft. Lauderdale during the summer months.

Ummmm, no thank you. I don't think I want to be one of six thousand waiting in line for breakfast every morning. :eek:

Karen

Make that behemoth times 2. One sails Saturday, the other on Sunday, both with more than 6000 passengers. Until something changes, I too will be looking elsewhere to spend my summer vacation dollars.

That's why I thought it would make sense to leave even one ship out in the Caribbean. They would likely be able to mark up the fares somewhat since it would be the only option for those who preffer Princess. Anyone know when the Summer 2013 itineraries are announced? Maybe they'll keep the new Royal Princess out in the Caribbean full time.

That's why I thought it would make sense to leave even one ship out in the Caribbean. They would likely be able to mark up the fares somewhat since it would be the only option for those who preffer Princess. Anyone know when the Summer 2013 itineraries are announced? Maybe they'll keep the new Royal Princess out in the Caribbean full time.

Schedules should be announced Spring of 2012 and I too am anticipating the Royal to be in Florida for at least some part of 2013.

Was on the July 28 sailing to the Caribbean from Brooklyn - which by the way was full to capacity. Several of us expressed our extreme disappointment over the loss of Caribbean sailings from the East Coast next summer and we were told to send letters/email/whatever to the home office stating this. Realistically speaking, people who are brand loyal and love Princess may wait it out and hope it changes in 2012 but people who prefer not to fly and are not committed to any one cruise line will go to the competitors as there are a few lines that sail from the NY/NJ area. At any rate, if you feel it could make a difference, send the email or letter - it is worth a try.

Was on the July 28 sailing to the Caribbean from Brooklyn - which by the way was full to capacity. Several of us expressed our extreme disappointment over the loss of Caribbean sailings from the East Coast next summer and we were told to send letters/email/whatever to the home office stating this. Realistically speaking, people who are brand loyal and love Princess may wait it out and hope it changes in 2012 but people who prefer not to fly and are not committed to any one cruise line will go to the competitors as there are a few lines that sail from the NY/NJ area. At any rate, if you feel it could make a difference, send the email or letter - it is worth a try.

To be fair, the last couple Caribbean voyages from New York were full because Princess won't have a presence there next year.

I was also sorry to hear that the Caribbean Princess will not be doing sailings out of NYC to the Bahamas or Bermuda in 2012. I understand She will do fall sailings to New England/Canada in2012. I will be doing the NE?Canada cruise again in 1 month and love it. I also enjoy going to Bermuda etc as well out of NY. I do not fly and I have been a fan of Princess for many years. I am Elite but I will have to go on another Cruiseline to sail out of NY or NJ to the Caribbean. IKE

I can also only cruise in the summer but I try different lines. Unfortunately, there is not much out there on any line. Your choices are Royal Caribbean (who have cut back), Carnival and Norwegian. Personally I have cruised in the summer for 10 years on different lines and every time the ship was filled to capacity and I was paying prime rates. I wonder if it has nothing to do with supply and demand and everything to do with kick backs from the European ports that the Caribbean ports can't afford.

To be fair, the last couple Caribbean voyages from New York were full because Princess won't have a presence there next year.

They were full to capacity last year and the year before too, before anyone know that Princess wouldn't have a presence in Brooklyn in summer 2012. We were offered move over offers both in 2009 and 2010 because they were so oversold.

When you stop in places like Puerto Rico, or their private island, or Grand Turk there really are not a whole lot of options for desireable shore excursions to generate money.

Archived