whole milk or 2 percent?

babymomma1

Naming your cruiseline would be helpful, but I am guessing it's Carnival. Past posts state only 2% milk on Carnival.

yes we are sailing on

Carnival, sorry i did not state that. 2 percent won't do, now i will have to think of plan B

If your son is off formula and drinking milk, chances are he is eating grown up food and can get those extra nutrients elsewhere. I think he will be just fine for a week drinking 2% milk. I'm not a medical professional, but if he is a healthy baby I think he will be just fine.

I agree with others here that 2% should be fine for one week and your doctor will/should confirm this.

That being said, you will without a doubt be able to find whole milk on any cruise line you pick. Granted, it may not be available to pick up in the pint or half pint cartons at the buffet or MDR... Nearly every bar, coffee shop and kitchen on the ship will have it available for various drinks and dishes.

Just ask if you don't see it accessible! This goes for almost anything reasonable that you can't seem to find. Chances are very good that it will be there somewhere if you are polite and/or ask the right person.

Chocolate milk on the other hand can be hit or miss! :rolleyes: You have to be an early riser and will have better luck earlier in the week has been my experience.

This is good to know. My son just turned 1 and I didn't think about whole milk not being available. He likes to eat whatever we're eating, so I know he'll get plenty of nutrients.

Do you think it's best to give them a bottle of 2% here and there to see if they'll drink it? I don't drink milk at all, so I wouldn't know if they taste the same or not, lol

Thanks y'all I feel much much better now and everything u said makes sense ! Again thanks!

I'm not sure about availability - but we went to WDW when DD#2 turned one. My ped told me for the week we were there to give her the 2% and then just go back to whole milk when we got home. I would check with your ped.

If you aren't flying (or even if you are) another alternative would be to get milk boxes - they make 4 packs of shelf stable whole milk in juice boxes. You could pack just one pack and that would at least give you a little bit of whole milk for a drink a day if you are concerned. If you are driving to your port you could always bring a lot more. But as someone above said they thought it was available upon request.

If weight gain is an issue with your lo and you end up giving 2% you can always make up for it by slathering his food with butter and feeding him higher fat foods. Lord knows there is plenty of both on a cruise.

I've pretty much been giving my son 2% since he switched and he is doing fine. The pediatrician said it was fine because studies have shown that American babies get plenty of fat in their diets. I know there are babies with weight gain issues and I understand that could be your concern. I'm sure they can accomodate you and if not the shelf stable milk or pediasure is are good options.

This is good to know. My son just turned 1 and I didn't think about whole milk not being available. He likes to eat whatever we're eating, so I know he'll get plenty of nutrients.

Do you think it's best to give them a bottle of 2% here and there to see if they'll drink it? I don't drink milk at all, so I wouldn't know if they taste the same or not, lol

No whole milk and 2% taste very different. The lesser fat makes it thinner and less creamy. Also different brands of milk can taste different.

My LO will just be at the age where you can switch from formula to milk and I plan to hold off that way I can avoid any issues with different tastes.

If weight gain is an issue with your lo and you end up giving 2% you can always make up for it by slathering his food with butter and feeding him higher fat foods. Lord knows there is plenty of both on a cruise.

I've pretty much been giving my son 2% since he switched and he is doing fine. The pediatrician said it was fine because studies have shown that American babies get plenty of fat in their diets. I know there are babies with weight gain issues and I understand that could be your concern. I'm sure they can accomodate you and if not the shelf stable milk or pediasure is are good options.

You can also fortify lower fat milk with a scoop or two of formula.

They do serve whole milk in the dining rooms and lido deck. Its not "out" in cartons but a waiter will bring you some if you ask for it. Although 2% is just fine for one week. The "fat" in whole milk is what is required for brain development. However, yogurt, cheese, butter will also supplement the fat so no worries.

My LO turned 1 in July and is finally drinking whole milk. He won't drink anything less :-/ But I had a cousin who's baby is 6 weeks older and she gave me some Enfagrow, it's Enfamil's toddler milk drink formula. I started giving him that and he loved it. Used it to wean him. He's now getting half formula half whole milk. I may take this formula with us even if he's completely on whole milk by our cruise in November to be sure he gets his nutrients especially since he refuses anything less than whole milk.

I agree with others that 2% for a week should not make a difference. I am also going on a cruise with my 15 month old and am not concerned about the milk.

One thing you can try is to take formula for toddlers with you. These days they have formula specially made for 12-24 month olds. This definitly has all the nutrients your kid require.

As a precaution I would buy a small amount and try it with him/her before going on the cruise just to make sure they like the taste.

We are bringing toddler formula to have in the room. He will occasionally still wake in the night and I don't want to be caught without milk for him.

There is no reason to bring toddler formula with you so you will not be caught without milk in the middle of the night, or any other time for that matter. All types of milk, including skim, 2%, and whole are avaliable on cruise ships. I order 5 or 6 cartons from room service at breakfast and keep it in the cabin fridge for whenever I want it. You can also call room service for milk, even in the middle of the night. It is also avaliable at the buffet and in the dining room.

I think it still might be a good idea to have toddler formula for while in port. I'm afraid of carrying milk around in the heat until my son decides he wants it. I figured it would be easier to find a bottle of water to mix with the formula than it will be to find milk while in port, especially while at the beach.

With that said, Enfagrow sent me samples of their toddler formula along with checks. I gave my son the samples on different occassions and he liked it. So, I used the checks to get a can for the cruise. It wouldn't hurt to contact them to see if they can send you a sample before you make the purchase, just in case your child doesn't like it as serta pointed out.

Archived