Reporting of Theft on Princess

Shogun

Because our slinky dresses don't have pockets in which will fit cruise cards and reading glasses and lipstick . . .

And those are the only things I carry in my thrift store evening purse. I will know immediately my cruise card is missing and report it quickly if I haven't given it to my DH to carry. They might get lucky and get a few "tipping" dollars but not more than five ones.

[quote name=Loonbeam;30251512

Note - if you do tag your luggage or other items with an address' date=' make it your business address or another location close to your home. It's been known for baggage workers to make lists of addresses on outbound luggage to popular tourist destinations and provide them to burglars to check if the houses are empty. I use my business cards on luggage tags.[/quote]

As retiree, I use the address of our local police station (small town). I have already left a notice I will be gone because they are very good in keeping an eye out when patrolling. Last time, both my husband and I thought we had locked our front door but neither of us had. The police found it right away, went into the house to see everything was o.k. and notified us of our "bad" (lol).

While preparing my house for a sale, I took my Rolex watch and tennis bracelet out of my jewelry box (so it wouldn't get stolen) and hid it. Of course after selling and moving and unpacking I cannot find them anywhere. I never reported it to my insurance company because it would be very much like me to hide it in a place where I would remember what I did, and then forget. To this day I don't know if the jewelry was stolen or if someday I will find it, or maybe I put it in a coat pocket, forgot about it and turned it into Goodwill. Who knows, that is why I would never accuse any cruise staff of theft unless I knew 100% that it was indeed stolen.

I gave a purse to Goodwill only to discover months later it still had our passports in it! Fortunately, it was several days before the cruise when I was looking for something else that I discovered it and had time to get them replaced. Usually, I don't take out the passports from our safe until the night before we leave when I am assembling my "travel" purse.

How I wish I had done that! The lady started going to the Purser's desk the same evening we found her locket and told me she checked back every day of the cruise. In desperation she posted notes around the ship, including the one I just happened to see in the game room. Had I kept it and just given my name to the Purser with a description of the item, she would have gotten the locket back right away. If I ever find something valuable in the future I will keep that option in mind.

Something I have also learned is to make sure you hand the item over under one of the cameras they have posted at intervals above the desk which are used to monitor cash transactions. Also, make sure it is logged, that they take your name and that you are provided something documenting you turned it in. And get the name of the person accepting the item. It seems sad to have to go to those lengths, but unfortunately is a necessary precaution to keep everything honest and aboveboard.

Or take a picture, or recording, of you handing over the item at the Purser's desk. Just in case.