Reporting of Theft on Princess

Shogun

Hi All

Did you spot in the small print that Princess reports all thefts over $10,000

in value, no wonder there is so few reports of theft,

I wonder how many thefts do take place

yours Shogun

Under internation conventions that's all they are required to do in most cases.

I would not be surprised if there were 10-12 thefts per cruise reported (of which not all would actually be thefts).

Hi All

Did you spot in the small print that Princess reports all thefts over $10,000

in value, no wonder there is so few reports of theft,

I wonder how many thefts do take place

yours Shogun

On my first cruise on the Island Princess, there was a guy who was stealing purses (I'm still not sure why some women insist on carrying purses around on the ship :confused:). They eventually caught him and he had about a dozen purses hidden in the ceiling of his cabin in the bunk bed space.

Several cruises ago, I felt so sorry for our cabin steward. Passengers across the hall from us had lost a piece of jewelry and reported it so. The first step is to search the cabin and then to search the cabin steward's cabin. Our cabin steward was a mess waiting for the passenger cabin search to be completed. It was apparent that they do NOT like to have things go "missing" in their attended cabins. The jewelry was found in the passenger cabin in the dark recesses under the bed, and our cabin steward was relieved to be off the hook.

I lost the original diamond from my engagement ring on the Sapphire. I think it fell out applauding one night in the Princess Theater. My friend and I combed that area the next day, to no avail. I reported it lost, and was given a document to submit to insurance. I had to submit first to my homeowners insurance, and then the travel insurance paid the deductible. I don't think Princess would have reported that as stolen, as it was clearly a case of mysterious disappearance. I like to hope that someone found it and realized what they had.

funny about the guy stealing purses - and it is kind of weird, sounds like a Love Boat Episode.

haven't had anything stolen but i know I have left things behind, one night left camera in the horizon court, the waitstaff had turned it in -- I got his name and went and gave him a big tip. I then left my cheap camera at the airport and the outside check in. When we went back it was gone. We must of pulled it out of the bag when we were transferring items for weight and left it on the sidewalk. Oh well.

Found quite a few things too, cell phone in safety deposit box (under the lip), gold bracelet between bed and dresser, and many items that were just laying around on lounge chairs (like book, one flip flop, sun tan lotion) so I just picked them up and gave them to one of the crew to take care of ..... joke intended.

On my first cruise on the Island Princess, there was a guy who was stealing purses (I'm still not sure why some women insist on carrying purses around on the ship :confused:). They eventually caught him and he had about a dozen purses hidden in the ceiling of his cabin in the bunk bed space.

I have been on Island four times in balcony,mini and a full suites and am trying to think of where he might have put something in the ceiling.I think the crew members are a very honest group.We were on Cunard many years ago and a crew member who knew us from previous cruises and knew where we lived asked me if I would return an expensive camera to a passenger from a previous cruise.He knew his name and the town he was from near Chicago.I found the guy,who thought I was selling something,and he hung up on me.I called back and he came for the camera.I guess there was no lost and found back then.

I have been on Island four times in balcony,mini and a full suites and am trying to think of where he might have put something in the ceiling.I think the crew members are a very honest group.We were on Cunard many years ago and a crew member who knew us from previous cruises and knew where we lived asked me if I would return an expensive camera to a passenger from a previous cruise.He knew his name and the town he was from near Chicago.I found the guy,who thought I was selling something,and he hung up on me.I called back and he came for the camera.I guess there was no lost and found back then.

It wasn't a crew member, it was a passenger who was stealing the purses. In quad cabins, the bunks come out of the ceiling. He had apparently also stolen a steward's key to unlock the bunk in his cabin, lowered it, stuffed the purses in and then raised it up again.

It wasn't a crew member, it was a passenger who was stealing the purses. In quad cabins, the bunks come out of the ceiling. He had apparently also stolen a steward's key to unlock the bunk in his cabin, lowered it, stuffed the purses in and then raised it up again.

I knew you meant a passenger and forgot about the bunks that come down.I wonder if they had a brig to put him in?

Some people do the right thing

Agreed. We tried to do the right thing on one of our cruises on the Golden a couple of years ago and sadly it left me feeling very upset and jaded. My husband found a beautiful antique looking gold locket on the Promenade deck the evening of our sailaway. It had clearly probably broken off a chain around someone's neck and had fallen on the ground. I immediately took it to the Pursers Desk and asked if that is where I should turn in a lost item. There was just one gentleman that I spoke with at the edge of the desk where I walked up as it was later in the evening. He took the locket from me and said he would put it in their safe. As I walked away I got an uncomfortable feeling, thinking perhaps he should have logged it in somewhere or taken my name or something. But I told myself that's silly and went on about my cruise.

About day 10 of our 14 day cruise I happened to go into the game room to look for my son and I noticed a bulletin board where people were posting messages. One jumped out at me immediately as it had a hand drawn picture of a heart on it with scrolling decorations. I read it in amazement as it was a passenger searching for a gold antique locket that had been her mother's that she lost the day we left. I honestly couldn't believe what I was reading, but I was so excited thinking that I would be able to reunite this lady with her lost locket. So I immediately called her cabin and told her my story and she came right down to meet me at the Pursers deck. Imagine my shock when the same young man who I had handed the locket to just days before looked at me like a deer in the headlights, denied he had ever seen or spoken to me, denied ever receiving a locket and said there was no such item in lost and found. The manager was called in a pulled out a LOG where items are supposed to be recorded and of course there was no record.

The whole security process and investigation that followed is too much to discuss here, but suffice it to say that this poor woman never got her locket back despite every effort and I don't know if the employee in question was ever adequately disciplined as it ended up being my word against his. Sadly the end of the desk where I handed him the locket is outside of the range of cameras so there was no video evidence and searches of his cabin and work area turned up nothing.

I truly believe that most people, especially those working aboard Princess ships are honest, but there is always a few bad apples and unfortunately I ran into one. The locket did not have great monetary value, but incredible sentimental value to a woman who had just lost her dear mother months before the cruise and wore her locket as a means of comfort. I still feel sad about it to this day.

Agreed. We tried to do the right thing on one of our cruises on the Golden a couple of years ago and sadly it left me feeling very upset and jaded. My husband found a beautiful antique looking gold locket on the Promenade deck the evening of our sailaway. It had clearly probably broken off a chain around someone's neck and had fallen on the ground. I immediately took it to the Pursers Desk and asked if that is where I should turn in a lost item. There was just one gentleman that I spoke with at the edge of the desk where I walked up as it was later in the evening. He took the locket from me and said he would put it in their safe. As I walked away I got an uncomfortable feeling, thinking perhaps he should have logged it in somewhere or taken my name or something. But I told myself that's silly and went on about my cruise.

About day 10 of our 14 day cruise I happened to go into the game room to look for my son and I noticed a bulletin board where people were posting messages. One jumped out at me immediately as it had a hand drawn picture of a heart on it with scrolling decorations. I read it in amazement as it was a passenger searching for a gold antique locket that had been her mother's that she lost the day we left. I honestly couldn't believe what I was reading, but I was so excited thinking that I would be able to reunite this lady with her lost locket. So I immediately called her cabin and told her my story and she came right down to meet me at the Pursers deck. Imagine my shock when the same young man who I had handed the locket to just days before looked at me like a deer in the headlights, denied he had ever seen or spoken to me, denied ever receiving a locket and said there was no such item in lost and found. The manager was called in a pulled out a LOG where items are supposed to be recorded and of course there was no record.

The whole security process and investigation that followed is too much to discuss here, but suffice it to say that this poor woman never got her locket back despite every effort and I don't know if the employee in question was ever adequately disciplined as it ended up being my word against his. Sadly the end of the desk where I handed him the locket is outside of the range of cameras so there was no video evidence and searches of his cabin and work area turned up nothing.

I truly believe that most people, especially those working aboard Princess ships are honest, but there is always a few bad apples and unfortunately I ran into one. The locket did not have great monetary value, but incredible sentimental value to a woman who had just lost her dear mother months before the cruise and wore her locket as a means of comfort. I still feel sad about it to this day.

Thats a distrubing story.. That poor lady must have felt terrible knowing for a fact that that guy basicly robbed her of her locket.

I can only hope that what goes around comes around for that guy

Srpilo

Because our slinky dresses don't have pockets in which will fit cruise cards and reading glasses and lipstick . . .

Because our slinky dresses don't have pockets in which will fit cruise cards and reading glasses and lipstick . . .

I was fine with the cruise card and lipstick, but did you HAVE to mention the reading glasses...:confused:;)

I feel bad about that lady. We have found rings with diamonds (1 man;s one womans) twice in our safes and handed them in. I never noticed anything being logged in. I was surprised at the lack of interest shown both times. I wish I had thought to post it here, even though chances were slim it would have been read by the owner.

I was fine with the cruise card and lipstick, but did you HAVE to mention the reading glasses...:confused:;)

Ouch, yeah, sorry about that. I was trying to sound all serious and mature, and not like some ditz who only needs a purse for frivolities like make-up . . . !

This did not happen on a cruise but when I was leaving JFK to fly to London last month for a cruise after coming through security the guy in front of me dropped his drivers license. I called to him immediately & stepped right next to it so no one could grab it as I was trying to retrieve my stuff from security. The guy was so happy he never saw it drop.

Onmy Summit cruise last year, when I got to my cabin, I couldn't unlock the safe...Previous occupant had left it locked. the cabin steward had a couple like that, including the cabin across the hall. Finally, someone came and unlocked it, went back out the door, I opened it, and there was a big fat wallet staring at me! I quick called him back, and he took it out, opened it, looked, and said I think we should lock it up again, and I will come back with security to get it. I had to leave and go to muster drill, but when I got back, the cabin steward said security had come and taken it. I would have liked to have looked in it for a phone number to call the owner, but didn't want to touch it and be accused of taking something. This was in Bayonne, so I hope it got on shore and the owner called...EM

The locket did not have great monetary value, but incredible sentimental value to a woman who had just lost her dear mother months before the cruise and wore her locket as a means of comfort. I still feel sad about it to this day.

And I feel sad for you both..... :( Sigh.

Please take consolation KMom, because KARMA will take care of that underhanded employee, and it won't be pretty.

On the Diamond in Jan 2008 I left a large tote with money, iPod, prescription sunglasses, driver's license, etc in the cabin when disembarking. I noticed it gone just after we left customs. I wasn't allowed back in to get to the cabin to get it. Needless to say, it never did show up in Lost & Found. :mad:

Fortunately, my insurance covered a good portion of the loss/theft.