Table for 2 are always cramped?

Universe93B

We were on the Sapphire last year, and did anytime dining. The tables for 2 did not have a good arrangement -they were pretty much a foot and a half away from another table. Anyone near you could listen to your conversation, and you were so close together, that you felt obligated to make conversation.

Definitely didn't have this problem on any of the RCI cruises for tables for 2.

Planning on going on the Caribbean Princess. Are the tables for 2 the same way, even if we do scheduled dining? Are they set up the same way for scheduled dining?

I agree with you about the tables for two in the Anytime Dining Rooms on the Sapphire. They're basically tables for 8. My wife and I didn't like them at all. Fortunately, the Sapphire and the Diamond are the only two Princess ships that have the four AT Dining Room configurations. While I haven't been on the Caribbean Princess, it has two larger AT Dining Rooms, very much like the Star and Golden Princess, which I have sailed. The tables for two on those ships were much more private. And I would assume that the layout of the Caribbean Princess would be similar.

Most tables for two are just a table split off from a larger group. They slide the table 8, 12 or 14 inches away from the rest of the group.
That really hasn't been my experience on the Star and Golden. We've always had tables for two, and most of them were very nice, similar to what you would find in a restaurant. A few times we were even sat by ourselves at a table for 4.

The tables for 2 on the Sapphire are quite different. They are up against a wall. There is a long bench seat along the wall, and four small tables with a chair on the opposite side. Very cramped. The tables for two we had on the Star and Golden were nothing like that.

We had a table for two in the Palm Dining Room (traditional dining room) a couple of years ago on Caribbean Princess. We had a table for two that was standalone and separated from the nearest table by a few feet. Nothing like the arrangement in the Sapphire's dining room. That being said, my partner just informed me that there are some tables like the Sapphire's in that dining room... I just don't remember seeing them. He says that that arrangement does not exist in the Coral or Island dining rooms...

The tables for 2 on the Sapphire are quite different. They are up against a wall. There is a long bench seat along the wall, and four small tables with a chair on the opposite side. Very cramped. The tables for two we had on the Star and Golden were nothing like that.

They have a setup like this also on the Caribbean Princess.

A comfortable table for two can be arranged in anytime dinning if you set a constant dinning time after about 7:30 pm. Seek out a table for four but for the two of you. The method used in reserving this table each evening is between you and the maitre d' or headwaiter or whomever has the authority to assign it to you. The measure of his gratitude will determine the germane table for you.

I didn't like the table for two configuration on the Sapphire. Didn't care for the 4 dining rooms either and having to go from one to the other to the other when it was busy to see if there was a table open.

I'm hoping the setup on the Ruby is better since I'll have 18 nights onboard in October. :)

Planning on going on the Caribbean Princess. Are the tables for 2 the same way, even if we do scheduled dining? Are they set up the same way for scheduled dining?

Yes they are, but I still prefer it to having someone I don't know sitting across from me at the same table. We will be on the CB again at the end of September.

We were on the Caribbean Princess earlier this year and chose anytime dining. We always requested a table for two and for the most part, they were set comforably apart from the other tables. What I find is that even if you are close to another table for two they respect your privacy as they also requested a table for two to be alone.

I also found the tables for two far too close to each other on the R class ships. Interesting that you cannot specifically book a table for two at booking time. The minimum is 4/table.

You can request any size table when you book and Princess "tries" to accommodate everyone. However, sometimes the demand is greater then the number of tables of a given size.

I confess, I cannot understand the idea of being at a table for two is so important on a cruise. We have enjoyed 17 cruises and even with anytime dining never hesitate to be seated with others at a larger table. I currently communicate with a number of people we met at the MDR . Making new friends is great, and if you get a table -where you are not pleased with the folks at the table, just refuse to sit with them the next time you are dining. Never a big problem for us

I confess, I cannot understand the idea of being at a table for two is so important on a cruise. We have enjoyed 17 cruises and even with anytime dining never hesitate to be seated with others at a larger table. I currently communicate with a number of people we met at the MDR . Making new friends is great, and if you get a table -where you are not pleased with the folks at the table, just refuse to sit with them the next time you are dining. Never a big problem for us

I believe some people like to have a romantic dinner alone (some what alone). I can NOT imagine trying to have a romantic dinner with my wife with 2-3 other couples....... Just a little wierd.

I confess, I cannot understand the idea of being at a table for 6, 8 or 10 with folks with whom I may or may not have anything in common. We have enjoyed 24 cruises and even with anytime dining have never hesitated to request to be seated at a table for two. We have been married for 42 years and continue to be best friends. I can think of no one else with whom I would rather dine. We too have made numerous friends on cruise ships and enjoy lasting relationships with many of them. We have even dined with them on occasion.

To the OP. We have often been assigned to a table for two in the cafe-seating configuration. When that happens, I see the Maitre'd and request a free-standing table for two. We have always been accomodated either at a table for two or a table for four with just the two of us. hope this helps. Bon Voyage!

I confess, I cannot understand the idea of being at a table for 6, 8 or 10 with folks with whom I may or may not have anything in common. We have enjoyed 24 cruises and even with anytime dining have never hesitated to request to be seated at a table for two. We have been married for 42 years and continue to be best friends. I can think of no one else with whom I would rather dine. We too have made numerous friends on cruise ships and enjoy lasting relationships with many of them. We have even dined with them on occasion.

To the OP. We have often been assigned to a table for two in the cafe-seating configuration. When that happens, I see the Maitre'd and request a free-standing table for two. We have always been accomodated either at a table for two or a table for four with just the two of us. hope this helps. Bon Voyage!

my sentiments exactly

It looks like I am in agreement with the other posters who posted ahead of me. I love sharing a breakfast or lunch table with others, we have had some great conversations and actually made friends who we have arranged to have dinner with.

But honestly? We so rarely get to spend an actual supper alone and a big part of why I say yes to Mr.QT when he books another cruise is because I so enjoy dining alone with Mr.Qt at the end of a cruise day, catching up on time spent apart ( I travel alot for business), re-capping the day, talking about the next day and such that I am not in favour of taking a chance of that tables mates we do not know might damper that time together.

We have made friends on cruise that we are good friends with to this day but for the most part I love having supper alone with Mr. Qt.

On a lighter note, Sapphire tables for two are so close together that the few times Mr.Qt was too tired to be a less then ideal witty dinner partner, I could always rest assure that the other tables were so close together it is always easy to become part of the conversation if I were invivted to be :D

I also found the tables for two far too close to each other on the R class ships.

If you go to http://fp.caribill.com/ and click on "Food", the first photo is of the Club Restaurant.

In the upper left there are two pictures on the wall. Beneath each of them is a table for two, relatively isolated. I think they are tables #1 and #2.

The rest of the tables for two are just inches away from a larger table. The second photo shows a table for two in the lower left. It is very close to a table for six.

Exactly on the mark. Cruising is great in part because you can make choices when to socialize with others or spend time alone. Dining is one time we like to keep more 'initmate'. We always ask for a table for two. I do find the 'jammed' together tables awkward and I will politely and patiently wait for a more 'secluded' table for two. Anytome dining and balconies are the two greatest advancements in cruising IMHO.

We just sailed on the Ocean Princess & had a table for 2 for 18 days. Imagine having intolerable table mates for that lenght of time? I go on a cruise to relax yes I do talk to fellow passengers that I meet during the day but just want to enjoy my dinner & wine with DH at our pace. We have had some doozies in the past so if we are not traveling with our travel companions then we prefer to eat by ourselves.

just returned from grand princess, we were on anytime dining and always asked and got a table for two, sometimes the table was round sometimes it was square, but we were always a decent distance from other tables, on other cruise lines there have been just about 1 or 2 inches between tables. this time you couldnt touch the person on next table without getting up and walking to them (not that i would want to i hasten to add). we only ever waited once for a table and that wait was only about 10 mins.

Archived