Costa Maya - Chaccoben

Krazy Kruizers

there are alternative tours available with independant operators.......this is the one I'm booked with for our upcoming cruise and if you read some of the reviews on here, they've all been great......

http://www.chacchobenruins.com/

they also have other ruin tours available and you can price them on the same web site

there are alternative tours available with independant operators.......http://www.chacchobenruins.com/

We just returned on Grand Princess this last week and used Ivan. I will tell you it was worth every penny and more. He is actually a Mayan native and was born very near the temple. He is very passionate about his heritage and full of knowledge. They were great and worked very well with us since our ship was a day late and he still took care of us. I loved the fact that it was a small group (14) rather than 50 – 100 in the group. Any questions I will help the best that I can to answer them.

We just returned on Grand Princess this last week and used Ivan. I will tell you it was worth every penny and more. He is actually a Mayan native and was born very near the temple. He is very passionate about his heritage and full of knowledge. They were great and worked very well with us since our ship was a day late and he still took care of us. I loved the fact that it was a small group (14) rather than 50 – 100 in the group. Any questions I will help the best that I can to answer them.

last cruise we went to Costa Maya only because Progreso was ruled out due to weather........we had NO idea of what to do at this port because I never thought about researching it........after I booked this cruise, I started checking and all the rave reviews about Ivan and David sold me in a heartbeat.......I really wanted to see some of the Mayan ruins this time and I'm really not thrilled about the longer rides out of Cozumel to Tulum, etc........this seems perfect and to have a guide that was actually born there? what more could you ask for?? :) I study ancient civilizations as a hobby and the Mayans are fascinating.........can't wait to experience this.......

the personalized service he gives is one reason I was sold and the price was way lower........sounds like a win-win scenario........

thanks for giving one more testament to the merits of this tour and helping me feel that I've made a wise choice.......:)

Sharlene

The other reason he's so much cheaper is because he know's he's just starting an infant business and wants to attract attention. I say it's working. We went with him a couple weeks ago on Spring Break and believe me IT'S NOT TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE. He said the people who run the pier tax him so much (plus expenses to run a legitimate business) so he only makes about $5 pp. Let's just say we tipped Ivan good, and I'm not well known for my tipping habits. He was just worth it. We had a tour of five but we almost got a tour for two. Several people didn't show up at all. The three additional were late. Ivan said if no one else showed up he'd still take us (two). How many other small business owners will do that?

I have booked with Ivan too for my cruise in May.......after reading all the posative post about his tour and the fact that it is much cheaper than booking on the ship I decided it was worth the risk.....i have a feeling I made the right choice!!

Does anyone know if you can take a bus or taxi to the ruins without taking a guided tour? We would like to go to the ruins and just explore them ourselves. How much would a bus or taxi cost, does anyone know?

Thanks

Hi Krazy Kruisers,

I see you are at it again. We were together on the Maasdam last year. Anyway we have been to Costa Maya a couple of times but only did Mayan ruins one. The ones we saw are at the following web site.

http://www.locogringo.com/research/dzibanche.html

It was an all day bus trip to see the two sites, a ship supplied box lunch (Yummy??) and a short visit to a banana plantation although I have no idea why. I think the guide and bus driver liked bananas. Anyway the ruins we saw were worth the trip in spite of the heat and humidity. I'm not sure my better half would agree with me but we did get some good pictures.

Have a great next cruise.

CharityGeo-

To me, it's not a great option, but here are the prices to a non-guided tour-

You can get a taxi or a taxi/van from the pier out to Chacchoben for 45.00 US pp - they will give you a ride there, the entrance to the ruins and exactly one hour on your own, and then a ride back to the pier. You buy a ticket at the pier and then they make you wait until the van or taxi fills - and I mean filled - all seats must be filled before they will go. We waited about an hour. Nice waste of time if you ask me. I wish Ivan's company had been going at that time, I tried very hard to get a private guide before we went, but none existed last year. So, now we have to go back to do it right this time!

Friends that were with us went into Majahaul and got a taxi driver to take them to the ruins for 100.00 (for the two of them). They said they got the wildest ride of their lives..... (and they were pretty sure the driver had been drinking which was pretty scary to them)

My advise really would be to convince you to go with Ivan and David

at http://www.chacchobenruins.com/

His price is better than the above two options and you will get, from what I have read on this board - the best guide that there is available. I'm sure he wouldn't mind either if you explored on your own, once you were there, if you really did want to do it on your own.

I endorse the recommendations posted here to use Ivan who can be contacted at http://www.chacchobenruins.com. We took his tour on 24 March and were greatly impressed with his fantastic knowledge and enthusiasm, and also the excellent value for money. Longer tour, cheaper, more personal and better informed than the Galaxy shore excursion.

He is a very nice guy who has an interesting background in large business but has returned to his roots - he was born within sight of the Mayan ruins at Chacchoben.

We were part of a small party of six - it should have been eight but two cruisers were put off by the taxi drivers at Costa Maya pier who asked us whose tour we were taking and then told us "they are pirates!" (presumably because Ivan will not pay the $10 per person demanded to allow him to pick up from the pier).

Do not believe them or be put off, it was the best tour we have taken - unbeatable and highly recommended.

We were booked on Ivan's tour at 11:00 on March 29th. We arrived early, found David and Ivan, saw that our name was on their list. They directed us to sit under a palapa. Unfortunately, David took off with the trip and left us behind. Ivan's face was quite stricken when he realized what had happened. But he offered several options to us. We ended up taking a taxi with Ivan as our private tour guide. For the 45 minute drive he talked non-stop about the area, the Mayans, and his life. It was facinating. He is very intelligent.

The ruins were more extensive than I thought. At the ruins, Ivan found a shard of pottery along the path. Later he picked up a rock, it was a painted piece.

Ivan informed us about the beliefs and ceremonies. He was very tentative about informing us. He has been verbally attacked by people who disagree with the Mayan beliefs. If you are not open to hearing about the way that other people live; then stay home.

It was HOT...take water.

Ivan had another tour to take over, so he sent us back on the same taxi. That was a FAST ride.

I encourage you to take this tour.

Has anyone taken both this tour and the one to the Kohunlich Ruins? It sounds like Kohunlich is a much longer ride and I am leaning toward joining paradisegal in Chacchoben. Is it anything like Chichen Itza? We enjoyed that immensely, except for the heat, LOL!!!

Thanks in advance,

Scrumpy

Charity Geo,

To go to the Chacchoben ruins on your own, take the zebra trolley from the pier ($3/pp), then go to the taxi stand in Majahual (a tiny fishing village). The rate is $100 for a taxi, there is no per person rate. We had our two teenagers with us, so we were four.

One caveat: soldiers stopped the taxi to check my husband's backpack on the road from Majahual to Chacchoben, but we'd encountered similar situations in Spain and Africa, so no one was alarmed.

The entrance fee at the ruins is $3.30/pp. All of the transactions are cash (no plastic). You have to be adventurous and it helps if you speak Spanish.

I completely support all of the great things said about Ivan and his touring company. He is 100% legal. My husband and I had a personal 2 person tour after 2 other couples didnt show up. We thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful glimpse into the Maya culture. Ivan speaks perfect English so no worries there. Other cruisers that took the cruiseline tour, complained that the tour guides were difficult to understand, they couldnt hear them, and there were too many in their groups. We highly recommend a tour with Ivan @ chacchobenruins.com.

We toured the ruins with Ivan on March 3oth and it was wonderful! You can get a taxi and tour the ruins yourself but you will only be saving a couple of dollars per person and you will miss out on all of the history, stories and beliefs. Ivan is a wonderful guide and has a very interesting background. As mentioned earlier, he grew up within sight of the ruins with no electric or running water. When he was 11, his education was sponsored by Nestle. He ended up working for Nestle and the Ritz Carlton but gave it all up to go back to his roots and teach people about the ruins and his heritage. You have to understand that it's not just a way to make money for him but it is a way to teach people about his heritage which he loves and is very dedicated to. You would never experience that by yourself or with any of the ship tours for that matter. You will not regret it if you book with Ivan.

p.s. Don't be swayed by the pesty cab drivers at the pier. They have been telling people that Ivan is not ligitimate because they do not want competition. Just tell them you are going to the beach.

Ivan does not pick up from the pier? How do we get to him? If by taxi, how long does it take and what is the cost? Are the times listed on his website ship time or local time? Or are they the same?

Sorry for all the questions...

Liz

Does anyone know if you can take a bus or taxi to the ruins without taking a guided tour? We would like to go to the ruins and just explore them ourselves. How much would a bus or taxi cost, does anyone know?

Thanks

We were just in Costa Maya on RCCL Explorer of the Seas. We spent $3pp for the shuttle to Mahahual (sp?). From there we negotiated a private taxi to take us to Chacchoben - they want $100 for the taxi (you can fit 4 tightly). We negotiated down a little and then with the tip we met his asking price. The trip is quoted as taking 1 hr to get there, 1 hr there, and 1 hr to get back and they will usually drop you off at the tourism village. The admission price is $3-$3.50 but be sure to have change becuase they cannot always make change at the site. We bought a $5 souvenier guide map that was well worth it and did a self-guided tour. 1 hour was long enough to see all if you did not dawdle too long in one place. It was well worth the visit as the ruins are only partially excavated and not commercialized much yet. They only started excavating them in 1994. They are also the closest ruins.

We saved more than 50% from the cruiseship excursion price and at least 40% form the posted fee in the tourism village. We really saved even more considering I included the tips and the other prices do not. The taxi will wait for you and bring you back so you don't have to be worried about getting stranded.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do.

Ivan does not pick up from the pier? How do we get to him? If by taxi, how long does it take and what is the cost? Are the times listed on his website ship time or local time? Or are they the same?

Sorry for all the questions...

Liz

you have to take the taxi to the fishing village where they are set up - $3pp......short ride......5-10min? approx

Ivan will send you directions to find him

on the times.......maybe those who have taken the tour can answer that........I happen to be sailing from a port that is in the same time zone

Archived