Ipad e-mail on ship

SMNYCruise

Gee, I wish I knew what you guys were talking about :confused:

Me too:confused:

Does the Ipad work differently than netbooks/laptops???

I just log in then download my mail to my mail reader (Eudora) log off

Read & reply

log on & send the mail

I never change any settings or SMPT or ports

Never had a problem with the ships wireless other than the speed sometimes;)

Maybe I am just too simple to understand all that techie stuff

We were just in Paris and we stayed connected by slipping into a McDonald's to warm up with a cup of coffee and a macaron or two. They have free wifi that works great. My friend has an iPad2 and so she takes pics with it and emails them out. I take pics with an iPhone. We send pics and emails while relaxing in McDonald's, then use the restroom and head out to the next place on our itinerary. We found that a number of Starbuck's charge to use their wifi, even if you buy a cup of coffee.

If there's no McDonald's in port, I just check out where the crew congregates. They know all the free wifi hotspots. In Flaam, they were in an area by some trees, emailing and skyping away.

This information would be extremely helpful to me as well. I too am in my own business and need to be able to receive and send emails daily. Can you explain how to use the email on either my IPad or notebook by downloading, going off line and then reconnecting. This sounds great but I am not sure I understand how this works. I use MS Outlook.

Judi

For iPad users

If you go into settings, networks to connect to wifi or the easier way is to turn on airplane mode which shut down the wifi or 3G. You can still reply to emails if you configured the iPad with your mail like gmail hotmail yahoo etc... (I.e. using the iPad mail icon vs using safari browser to get online to see your mail). Then you are ready to send the mails, turn on the wifi or off the airplane mode to connect and refresh your mail and it will go out.

For MS outlook on laptop, you should see in the lower right hand corner where if it's connected to an exchange server. If the computer does not detect an Internet connection, you will work in offline mode (shown by a X over the computer icon). You can write all the mails and it will sit I your outbox until you connect to Internet and it should automatically go out or sometimes need to press the "send and receive" button in the menu bar.

Hope this helps!

Archived