Is it acceptable??

CaroleSS

Is it acceptable in Bermuda's shops to 'negotiate' prices?

We've been to a number of other locations where haggling over price is not only acceptable, but recommended! As we've not been to BDA before, I do not wish to offend a shopkeeper, so I thought I'd ask.

I would think I could negotiate on the price with an individual vendor -say at Hamilton Nights, but what about brick-and-mortar businesses?

Is it acceptable in Bermuda's shops to 'negotiate' prices?

We've been to a number of other locations where haggling over price is not only acceptable, but recommended! As we've not been to BDA before, I do not wish to offend a shopkeeper, so I thought I'd ask.

I would think I could negotiate on the price with an individual vendor -say at Hamilton Nights, but what about brick-and-mortar businesses?

I'm going to say no. It isn't like St. Thomas where prices are jacked up so they come down on price to give you a "deal".

Laura

No, you don't haggle over prices in Bermuda. Certainly not in the shops. I've never heard anyone even try. And I haven't heard it tried any times I've been at Harbour nights. This isn't like the Straw Markets in the Caribbean, where haggling is part of the "experience."

I also would have to say "no". The only exception is if you are contemplating buying an origianl work of art and dealing directly with the artist. This would be appropriate however, only if you are considering buying a work in the upper 3 digit price category and up (like $500 and more)

Archived