Connecting Door

flyingv4me

If you are in a cabin with the connecting door, is your cabin smaller than those without? I'm sailing an S-class ship with a veranda cabin, but just noticed that my cabin has the connecting door to a neighbor. Is there a greater noise factor to deal with? Should I try and change this as quickly as possible?

Thanks for any advice and help!

We sailed in connecting cabins on the Eclipse (S class) last February. Connecting cabins are not smaller than other cabins. Here's how they work - As you walk down the ship hallway, all cabins are grouped by twos with a small foyer for each pair of cabins. There is a door for each cabin off this small foyer. For connecting cabins there is a hallway door that can be closed so that the cabin occupants can leave each of their cabin doors open (they open in) and access both cabins through the foyer. The cabin doors can still be closed individually, but you can go from your cabin to the one next door through the foyer without going out into the hallway. The hallway door can be opened with SeaPasses for both cabins.

We really enjoyed this setup because we my husband and I were in one of the connecting cabins and our daughter and my sister were in the other. We kept our individual cabin doors open most of the time, but would shut one or the other for changing clothes, etc. or at night for sleeping. This is a great setup because you don't lose any space inside the cabin for the connecting door.

Someone posted a photo of the doors a while back, so maybe they will do it again - once you see a photo, you'll understand. Sorry I don't have one available today. If you are sailing with people you know, the connecting cabins are great!

It is the same design that has been used for years in some hotels. The advantage is the ability to configure and sell the same space either as connecting or non-connecting rooms, since there is no common connecting door in the wall between the two rooms. The Banff YWCA even had some rooms configured that way.

Archived