Broadway - worth going to see a show?

karenbeanpole

We live close to London and frequent the West End. Just wondering if it is worth catching a show in Broadway. Thinking of the getting discount tickets in Times Square on the day but I am dreading queueing for hours and finally paying very high prices for something I can get back here in London.

Question is whether I should bother at all with Broadway when our time is limited in New York, or whether it is worthwhile? Any opinions welcome please.

If it's your first visit to New York and your time is lmited you might do better not to spend time waiting in line (or as New Yorkers say, "on line").

If you're in NYC for a few days you could either get in line in Times square 60-90 minutes before the booth opens at 10AM or visit the south Street Seaport or Brooklyn booth the afternoon of the day before when you want to see the show (for a matinee).

http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56

Of course it is always worth catching a show on Broadway!:) Maybe you want to catch a quirky off-broadway show, if you have seen most of the regular shows at home. Or maybe you want to catch a favorite movie star trying his luck on Broadway. All shows are at 8 p.m. so I can't think of anything better to be doing at that time. Most of the museums are closed. There is plenty of entertainment such as jazz clubs that start after the theater. No need to wait on line, try Playbill.com You sign up for free and you can purchase discount tickets. Either print them out. Or pick them up at the Will Call window. (Yes I love Broadway)

We live close to London and frequent the West End. Just wondering if it is worth catching a show in Broadway. Thinking of the getting discount tickets in Times Square on the day but I am dreading queueing for hours and finally paying very high prices for something I can get back here in London.

Question is whether I should bother at all with Broadway when our time is limited in New York, or whether it is worthwhile? Any opinions welcome please.

If you don't have a lot of time to stand in line for discounts, here is a better alternative. www(dot)broadwaybox(do)com Most shows have discounts, only the hottest sellers are never discounted (such as Book of Mormon, Wicked, Jersey Boys, etc.)

Joanne

I've noticed that ticket prices are generally more expensive than West End. In London the non discount top price tickets are about £69 ($105) with a few seats at £85 which I never buy. On looking at these websites, there doesn't seem to be many top price tickets, if any, under $100 and that's supposedly discounted. I guess there is more demand in Broadway for them to have the prices so high.

B/c you live in London & can see quality shows at home unless there is something you are dying to see that isn't coming to your part of the world any time soon, don't bother. I did go to the theater last time I was in London b/c the show wasn't coming to NYC.

I would try to get tickets in advance if I were you or at least work through the concierge at your hotel. I would not waste 1/2 day at TKTS.

I've noticed that ticket prices are generally more expensive than West End. In London the non discount top price tickets are about £69 ($105) with a few seats at £85 which I never buy. On looking at these websites, there doesn't seem to be many top price tickets, if any, under $100 and that's supposedly discounted. I guess there is more demand in Broadway for them to have the prices so high.

Yes, they are--I'm a Broadway performer--have been singing and dancing fo dollars for about 25 years now on the big Broadway. Not to knock the West End because there are a lot of talented performers that come over here (that I've had the pleasure of working with) and are able to make a living here without a second job as is the case with the ensembles in London. My husband who is a music director has worked on Billy Elliot in London and North America, did Guys and Dolls and Evita in London as the dance arranger, and the competition is much fiercer on Broadway for the performers, hence the skill level is extremely varied and high. For example, in London, you may have an amazing singer. Great, but in NYC that same level of singer will be an A list dancer and/or actor as well. Job security is higher, so you don't just see "kids" in the ensembles--I hardly see anyone over thirty in the ensembles of shows in the West End. Most all of the actors in New York are age appropriate for their roles. Not just the principals. I have friends that are chorus players here, but moved to the West End so that they could play leads...for a cut in pay of course.

AND--the cost of living in London is even higher than NYC...it's a hard-knock life.

I'm so long-winded, aren't I?

Anyway, yes, by all means, go to a Broadway show. Go to a recently opened one if possible that is fresh with its original cast in tact. Get the best seats you can afford. There's nothing like a Broadway show on the big Broadway; I promise you won't regret it. You get what you pay for--and you'll see on stage.

Wait, are you looking in the correct place? Certain shows are not discounted because they are "hot" ie Wicked and Jersey Boys. But if you join Playbill.com and then click discounted shows then it should be 40% off, so more like $60 for a $100 seat. And off broadway shows are even less money.

I have been to many, many Broadway shows, and really I enjoy the theater, but; if I lived in London which has a very popular and talented theater as well, I would probably skip the theater and see other things in NYC. I've lived in NJ for 44 years and have been going into NYC for about 30 years now and have yet to see everything there is to see.

If this a chance to be in NY and you may not get back for a very long time, don't spend 2 hours of it sitting in a theater- get out and see the city!

Just my opinion. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We were at south Street seaport and decided to join the ticket line there- 30 mins later we came out with tickets for The Addams Family which is not showing in the UK - side orchestra for $75 each. Thoroughly enjoyed the show. Times Square at night is also a sight to behold! Loved it all and so glad we went.

We were at south Street seaport and decided to join the ticket line there- 30 mins later we came out with tickets for The Addams Family which is not showing in the UK - side orchestra for $75 each. Thoroughly enjoyed the show. Times Square at night is also a sight to behold! Loved it all and so glad we went.

funny i was going to suggest that TKTS location...but i see you figured that out already..

I believe that location opens earlier, and the line is a LOT shorter...Have a great cruise!

Nothing like Times Square at night! We have to remember the South Street Seaport location for picking up tickets for the next person. So glad you had a wonder time in NYC.

Archived