Istanbul Restaurant Recommendation

We overnight on our ship on Sept. 19 before departing the next afternoon. We'd like to have dinner in Istanbul that evening instead of eating on the ship. Can someone (Cruisemom?) recommend a nice restaurant, not too touristy, maybe with a view? Price is not an issue.

I'll be happy to recommend a few possibilities, as I love dining in Istanbul. However, I also recommend checking out this link to restaurants in Istanbul (this one is fairly recent; the other long restaurant discussion is a bit dated now):

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k3704983-Istanbul_restaurants-Istanbul.html

Also note that many of those mentioned aren't very centrally located.

One place I really like is Albura Kathisma, a restaurant in Sultanahmet with both indoor and outdoor seating. Although it doesn't have views of any monuments, the lively street scene is enjoyable to watch as you dine and the food is really good. It is currently rated #2 among Istanbul restaurants on TripAdvisor.

The location is at #26, Akbiyak Caddesi ("caddesi" means street), in the bustling area around the Blue Mosque. (Sultanahmet tram stop).

A good location for dining with views is Hamdi in Eminonou near the Spice Market. Although I think the food is a bit more touristy than Albura Kathisma, it is still good. However, the service can be spotty. The restaurant is on several floors; if you want a view ask for a table on the highest floor.

Sorry, don't have the address but you can look it up on Tripadvisor (Eminonou tram stop).

I've visited Sarnic for a drink but haven't dined there; however I've heard it's good and the atmosphere is amazing and unique (basically you are dining in one of Istanbul's ancient cisterns.....). The food is good but most expensive of the restaurants I've listed. The restaurant is close to the tourist area.

I've eaten at Asitane, which is often highly recommended by locals, but it's location makes it a bit less convenient. It is located near Chora Church so unless you've been to Istanbul before and are looking to combine something new to see and a great dinner, I wouldn't recommend it. (Although the food is great....!)

If you are interested in dining in one of the traditional Istanbul "fish houses" I've done that as well. There are several well established places in one particular street but you'd need to take a taxi there and back (not good walking area to and from). I can give you the name of the place I went, which was great fun but I'll need to look it up. Good grilled fish and mezzes, watch out for the raki. Often local musicians will walk around and play but they do want tips!

Hope this helps...:) It's really difficult to go too wrong when eating in Istanbul as there is good food galore at all price levels.

For a fantastic menu with a view with reasonable prices, try Pasazade Restaurant. It's rated #4 in Trip Advisor. It's a few minutes walk from the Gulhane tram stop. Their website has very thorough instructions. You'll find the link to their website with the following Trip Advisor listing:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293974-d814707-Reviews-Pasazade_Restaurant_Ottoman_Cuisine-Istanbul.html#REVIEWS

Archived