5 Star Experience on the Star Princess - Mediterranean & Greek Islands - Aug 10 - 22

homeinboca

AstroFlyer--no, I worded that poorly. We did ship's tour of CT ($129PP) and it was great. That was the ONLY way to do it with the time restraints. I meant that we did DIY in all OTHER ports, except CT. For DIY Q, I will respond over on Europe ports BB.

Thanks for the clarification & for the Europe ports suggestion.

Thanks again everyone for your comments. I hope you have enjoyed reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it...

Cruise Day 9 – Katakolon & Olympia

For our stop in Katakolon, we decided to make a last minute decision on whether or not we wanted to go to Olympia or not. Katakolon was a nice little port town with a main street of shops and restaurants selling all matters of Greek trinkets, olive wood carvings, etc. There wasn’t much else in the town, so we ended up taking the Geo Tours bus for 10 EU each to Olympia and buying our own tickets to the site of the ancient Olympics.

The weather has been great all trip, without a cloud in the sky since we landed in Rome almost two weeks ago. However, this was the hottest day of the trip so far and going inland didn’t help. We were told it was 45C at the Olympic site. We spent some time in line waiting to buy tickets, as they only had one wicket open. Some people just walked right up and pushed in line, not very nice!

There were some interesting ruins at the site including the Phillippeion, dedicated to Phillip II, father of Alexander the Great, and the Temple of Zeus, where many of the findings are in the Louvre, another sore spot for the Greeks. The best part was walking though the athletes entrance into the Ancient Stadium, with the starting blocks still in place. People were actually doing sprints! I imagined how 3000 years ago people would congregate here to cheer on the athletes. It’s quite inspiring. I’ve been to the Olympics and there is nothing like the silence of the crowd as the race is about to start and then the gun goes off and 80,000 people all start screaming all at once!

Also here is The Temple of Hera is where the Olympic flame for the modern games is lit and transported to the site. We didn’t stay too long in the ruins as the heat was too much. The small museum was nice and a offered a break from the oppressive heat. The town of Olympia looked nice and offered the usual shops with knick-knacks, and souvenirs. We spent a little time there wandering around and we caught the bus for the 30 minute ride back to Katakolon. It was time to head back to the ship for a dip in pool. The cold water of the spa pool felt wonderful!

I really enjoy getting back to the familiar confines of the ship after going ashore. It’s a little like going home, but not quite! We still have a few more days before we really head home!

Cruise Day 10 – Corfu

I figured by two weeks into our trip, we would need a break from ancient ruins, walking over rocks, souvenir shopping, and just need a relaxing day on a beach, so we booked the Princess excursion to a resort in Dassia Beach in Corfu. We were supposed to dock at port in Corfu, but for some reason we ended up tendering that day.

I think many had this same idea as there were two full buses on this excursion. After a short drive, we arrived at the Dassia Beach Resort. After the splendor we experienced on Mykonos at St John’s, this was a bit of a letdown, but we were there for the beach anyways. It was a pretty plain resort, probably been there for many years. Everyone got a chair, an umbrella and a coupon for a drink and we had 3 hours just to chill on the beach. The pool didn’t open until 10AM, which I thought very strange, something I’ve never seen at a resort before.

In any case, weather was beautiful, it was nice and early before the sun got too hot, and the water was so clear and calm, it was like glass. No soft sand here, the beaches are pretty rocky, but once you got past the rocks, the bottom was sandy and the water was so nice just to float around in. it was a nice morning. Before you knew it, it was time to head back to the ship.

We hadn’t booked anything in Corfu, so we just wandered around for a while, did some shopping, and headed back to the ship for the afternoon. DW was worried she wouldn’t be able to find Olive Oil soap. Well let me tell you it’s everywhere!

That evening was the second formal night, and as I mentioned, we decided to skip the formal wear for this trip. We booked Sabatini’s for dinner, and as you may know, they have recently changed the menu to a la carte for everything. Unlike before, where they came around with trays of appetizers that filled you up even before you got to your main course, now you just order off the menu whatever you like.

We had a really nice waiter from Serbia, and when we told him we couldn’t decide from the so many wonderful choices of appetizers, he said, “Don’t worry, I bring you a little of everything!” So we ended up the same as we used to have. The food was delicious, especially the Buffalo Mozzarella from Napoli, it literally melted in your mouth.

I saw someone who ordered the Sea Bass, where they cook an entire fish for you in the oven and bring it to your table, where it is presented and de-boned. It was huge! If you like that, it was highly recommended. We had Lobster Three ways, and along with another bottle of Italian wine; it was a very nice dinner. Afterwards, we went dancing in one of the lounges. It made for a very special evening on board.

Cruise Day 11 – Split, Croatia

I would have never thought that I would travel to Croatia, but I had heard that the whole Dalmatian coast is beautiful. It was another perfect morning sailing into the harbor of Split, past many islands along the way. The coastline was beautiful, very unspoiled and dotted with little villages and islands. Lots of sailboats everywhere!

There were some interesting excursions available, including a trip to the National Park, which looked beautiful. We decided to stay in town and wander on our own, with the main attraction here being Roman Emperor Diocletian’s Palace, built at the turn of the fourth century AD, for his retirement. The palace is now the centerpiece of the city of Split, and is considered the world’s most complete remains of a Roman palace.

Now that the city has grown around the Palace, it is very interesting place to explore on your own. A number of local companies do offer reasonably priced walking tours, but we decided just to wander. It was Saturday and the local produce market was bustling with activity. They used old style scales with counter-weights, and it seemed like there was lavender everywhere.

There are some nice sites within the Palace structure, including the Temple of Jupiter and the Cathedral of St Duje, named for the patron saint of Split. They also had some nice shops and a really nice promenade along the waterfront. We were told that many of the stores didn’t take Euros, only the local currency, but we didn’t find that to be the case. We used Euros in all the shops and cafes we visited with no problems.

As if this trip wasn't spectacular enough, we end tomorrow with the grande finale...a sail into Venezia!!

I'm reading with such excitement I can hardly stand it :D We're flying into Rome next Thursday and 2 days later heading to the Star for the same cruise. I can't wait to read about the rest of your trip!!!

Thanks for the great review of your trip so far.

Have a great trip, it's an outstanding intinerary, and going to Rome for a few days first, really gets you into the European lifestyle! Say hello to the Star Princess for us!

we were on the same cruise and second this review--great trip, great ship! The Star was 5* for us, as well. We had a wonderful time, food was excellent, entertainment fair--but we didn't care. We flew on FF miles and did a "budget" trip. We had a partially obsstructed view cabin (E414), which was still a very good view and only cost $200 more than interior.

To save $ and b/c we like to explore, we did all ports DIY except Livorno, where we did ship's tour of Cinque Terre b/c it would be impossible to DIY within the time restraints. We did Eze (hill town) and Nice at Monaco using a combo of cruisecritic and ricksteves DIY for buses--wonderful cote d'azure ride (cost us 6 euros total). Pompeii and Ercolano using the Circumvensia train, Greek beaches using public buses at Mykonos and Corfu. Took the tourist train to Olympia. We rented bikes in Split, Croatia and biked about 10km around a penisula with beaches and parks (we will take snorkels and suits next time). We liked Eze/Nice and Croatia the best and Pompeii for the ruins.

I was the tour guide, using Rick Steves for most things (finally put that European History degree to use). We did our own walking tour of Venice, St. Mark's Basilica, Doges' Palace, Venetian houses (interior tours), and finally a train-ride back to Milan to fly out.

For those who DIY--you really have to be comfortable not knowing exactly where you are at times (we rode our bikes in the direction of town--but no roads we took were on our map--and then suddenly, we were back at the road to the walled city), and asking for directions a fair amount---sort of like a jr. version of the "Amazing Race" on TV. Speaking a bit of French/Italian helps, but a phrase book would work OK in a pinch, as well. We always padded a 2 hour time onto our return to be safe. It was a great trip.

FYI--for those considering their 1st trip/cruise to Europe. We loved the ruins in Pompeii and Athens and absolutely loved this cruise (our 20th anniversary), but preferred Western Med. (French Riviera, Italy, Barcelona) to Eastern Med. (we found Santorini, Mykonos and Corfu OK, but sort of boring). Elaine

Amazing Race, one of my favorite shows!

Thanks for this review, and for passing it on to everyone.

Elaine, if you check back here, could you please answer a question about your cabin? We have E-412 next March and would like to know what you thought of your accommodations?

Thanks again!

E-412 will be just fine. Our partial OV--was 95% unobstructed. You have some white metal poles 3 inches wide, and maybe part of an open metal crew ladder--which we had to the right of us. You will have a great view looking straight out--just a pole or two. If you stand at window and look down, you will see barrels, metal walkway for crew, etc. on the floor below---crew was out 2X during the day on the 12 days for an hour or so--DH loved our view--he said every time he looked out, he saw $ signs--LOL (b/c room was much less $ than total OV).

Homeinboca, can you please tell me how you reserved your day pass at St. John's in Mykonos? That sounds like a great idea for our upcoming Star cruise.

Hi Karen, just send them an email - info at saintjohn dot gr - They were very responsive and will send you a confirmation form to fill out.

Their site is saintjohn dot gr if you want to check it out. it has some nice pictures!

Enjoy!

E-412 will be just fine. Our partial OV--was 95% unobstructed. You have some white metal poles 3 inches wide, and maybe part of an open metal crew ladder--which we had to the right of us. You will have a great view looking straight out--just a pole or two. If you stand at window and look down, you will see barrels, metal walkway for crew, etc. on the floor below---crew was out 2X during the day on the 12 days for an hour or so--DH loved our view--he said every time he looked out, he saw $ signs--LOL (b/c room was much less $ than total OV).

Thanks Elaine, appreciate it very much. We have friends on this cruise with a mini-suite and they will be seeing a lot of us, (you already know Larry), feel free to e-mail me if you want to share anything else, I don't want to get away from the subject of the original post here.

luvseadays@q.com

Thanks again OP, can't wait to set sail in March with your shared knowledge.

Thanks so much for your in-depth review! We are cruising the same itinerary on Star on September 3rd and are doing many of the things you did. Your great review has further ramped up the excitement in our house!

Thank you for a wonderful review! I almost feel as if I have been transported back to that area of Europe! So glad you enjoyed your holiday!

Thanks for the great feeback, it was my hope to share our great experience with our CC community.

Thanks so much for your in-depth review! We are cruising the same itinerary on Star on September 3rd and are doing many of the things you did. Your great review has further ramped up the excitement in our house!

Hi suzski, I hope you are doing ok in Hampton Roads with Irene. Have a great time on the Star in September. I know you will!

Enjoying your review very much. Planning to do the Grand Med on the Ruby or maybe the this trip on the Grand Princess in 2012, so I'm like a sponge sucking up all your info.

Glad you are enjoying, we made some great friends from down under on this cruise!

Cruise Day 12 – Venicia!

Well, it’s been some time coming, but our last day at sea for this trip is at hand. I have mixed emotions about this as I do know that all good things come to an end at some point, and at the same time I so excited to visit Venice! A city we all know as one of the most unique and fascinating destinations in the world.

We were up early as usual and went up to the starboard side of the Sun Deck, with the sounds of Italian opera playing on the loudspeakers as we made our entrance into the channel towards Venice. One of my favorite Italian songs - Con te Partiro by Andea Bochelli was playing. I have this song on my iPod and it never fails to move me, as it is such a hauntingly beautiful song, and sung so well by Bochelli. And unfortunately, it was almost time to say goodbye, making the title of the song very appropriate.

A sail into Venice is one of life’s amazing experiences. They say it’s really the only way to arrive. This morning, it was my DW’s turn to have her teary eyed, emotional moment. We stood, arm in arm, as we sailed in and passed St Mark’s Square, on our way to our berth. Unfortunately, the music stopped, and we had a running commentary from Joe May, who is the ship’s resident shore expert, but were both enthralled at the sight of Venice.

Once, we arrived at the port, we prepared to leave on our Princess shore excursion to St Marks, Doges Palace and the Cathedral. Since it was Sunday, we were not allowed to have the tour of the Cathedral in the morning, but our sticker would allow us to bypass the lines later in the day to visit. Things were delayed a little by the Venice authorities due to congestion. There was another large cruise ship arriving, and we had to wait until it cleared the channel. Once we received clearance, we were on our way. Princess delivers a pass for you to use for transfers from ship to St Marks, not free of course, $15 PP, and good for all day and for going back in the evening. I guess they can’t use their own tenders. Our group departed and met up with our tour guide and made our way past the Bridge of Sighs, into the Doges Palace.

The Doges Palace is an impressive structure and it one of the most recognizable sites of Venice. It was built in the 1300’s and was the residence of the Doge, the supreme authority of the Republic of Venice. In addition to being the Doges residence, it also housed the government offices of the Republic, including the courts and the prisons.

Our guide led our group into the Palace and up the Golden Staircase, with the beautiful ceiling of real 24k gold and through the succession of waiting rooms. Each room was more impressive than the previous one as the rooms were designed to keep people waiting and to impress upon them the power of the Doge and the republic.

We spent some time in the ante chambers, the Courtrooms, the Senate chamber, and ended in the massive Chamber of the Great Council. All of the rooms were very ornate, with beautiful paintings. The Great Council room is the largest in the Palace and also one of the largest rooms in Europe. Along the walls, were painting of all the Doges, and behind the Doge’s throne is the longest canvas painting in the world, the Paradiso, by Tintoretto. It’s very impressive!

Our Italian guide was very informative and she had a great sense of humor. Discussing how, when Napoleon occupied Venice in 1797, he admired much of the art, and took many pieces back to France, where they are now in the Louvre. She asked if any of us had visited the Louvre, and then told us “Don’t visit the Louvre, there’s nothing there”. I thought that was rather amusing, as she commented how, we Italians, we only borrow the art from the regions we conquered, but our treasures were stolen.

Following our time in the Palace, we crossed the Bridge of Sighs into the prison complex. It was pretty stark in there, and we were told of how Casanova was once a prisoner here, and made his escape, by climbing through the roof.

Following our tour of the dark dingy prisons, we made our way out into the bright sunlight of St Marks Square. It was very busy in the square as Venice gets 20 million tourists a year, and I think they were all in the square that day! We made our way to a Murano factory, where we watched a glassworker, who was built like the Hulk, make a vase in no time at all. Making glass must be very good exercise! We were also offered a decanter and 6 glasses for a “Cruise Special” price of 2,000 Euros, shipping included. We passed and made our way out into the city to start our own exploring of this magical place.

We had a great time getting lost in the maze of streets that led in all different directions. We found some beautiful shops and bought lots of small Murano pieces which are now gracing our home. Signs pointed the way to Pont di Rialto, and we made our way there. Once you reach the Grande Canal, it feels much more open than on the narrow streets of the city.

We stopped for lunch right on the water, near the bridge to relax and watch the hustle and bustle on the canal. DW spotted an artist near the bridge and left her half eaten lunch to run over and buy some his work. She picked a beautiful piece, and it’s being framed and will grace our family room as a great memento of Venice. DW loved the shops everywhere, and we spent some time on the interesting shops on the bridge, including a shop that made hand-made leather note books, and of course, the nice jewelry shops. Lots more shopping followed, and my backpack was getting pretty full.

It was time for our ultimate Venice experience, a ride in a Gondola. We travel to Las Vegas all the time and DW always wanted to go on a gondola at the Venetian hotel. I told her one day, we will visit Venice and go on the real deal. Well that day has arrived, so I made good on my promise! We found a nice gondolier on the canal, were onboard and away we went to fulfill a unique experience you can only do in Venice.

As we pulled away, I had a special surprise. I pulled out my iPhone, put on the speakers, and started playing Pavarotti that I had downloaded. Here we were, cruising down the Grande Canal in a Gondola, on a beautiful sunny day in Venice, singing ‘O Solo Mio’ with Pavarotti, kissing and laughing all the way. It was a special moment in a special city, and a great way to end our last day of the trip of a lifetime.

As I said at the beginning of my review, our trip was blessed from beginning to end with everything going perfectly well and we had an amazing time. Our transfers to the airport and our flight home were long but on time and we arrived home safe to our family.

I only hope that you enjoyed reading my review as much as did writing it as a way of remembering our trip of a lifetime. I'm thinking I may just combine all the chapters into one post. Let me know if you think that is ok.

We count our blessings everyday and we now have some amazing memories that will last a lifetime. Thank you CC Community for providing some great advise and helping in the planning of our trip.

Safe travels to all and in good health!

I only hope that you enjoyed reading my review as much as did writing it as a way of remembering our trip of a lifetime. I'm thinking I may just combine all the chapters into one post. Let me know if you think that is ok.

We count our blessings everyday and we now have some amazing memories that will last a lifetime. Thank you CC Community for providing some great advise and helping in the planning of our trip.

Safe travels to all and in good health!

Bellissimo...Grazie Mille! Wonderful...Many Thanks! :D

This will help us so much with planning our cruise next year to the ports that you so generously took the time to share with all of us...just amazing!

I have just finished reading all of your wonderful review. It has brought back so many wonderful memories of our visits to Europe over the years and the many places we have visited.

Your writing is so exciting to read and it conveys such vivid pictures of what you have seen. I especially enjoyed your descriptions of Venice and the Doges Palace etc. We too visited Venice for the first time when we were in our early fifties and even though we toured those buildings way back in 1994, your writing has reminded us of our first visit to Italy and how we kept on pinching ourselves as we couldn't believe we were there.

Thanks for the memories.

Jennie

Wow, what a great idea with the i-phone, a very special moment I'm sure, your wife is one lucky lady!

Thanks for sharing all of this with the rest of us, it was almost like being on board again.

I hope that you enjoy cruising for many years to come.

Thank you so much for your review. It was so positive & refreshing. We will be doing this itinerary in 40 days and are excited beyond belief! Although we have traveled a lot, we have never been to Italy & Greece. It seems that we are doing most of the same things that you did. I can only hope that we have the same wonderful experience that you did. (although I can't imagine NOT having a wonderful time on ANY trip!!)

Archived