Ready to move up and only "kinda" handicapped

tpbf

We have normally been Princess minisuite cruisers, habit mostly, and are ready to "graduate" into more luxury. We like 7 Seas ports, but have a room question: DH does not actually need a handicapped cabin (no wheelchair, does use a cane), but needs the bar on the side of the toilet and a step in shower, no tub.

To save some time, which cabin levels offer these things as standard?

Thanks.

In a non-handicap suite with a shower and no tub, I think your best bet would be a cruise on the Mariner in a shower-only Deluxe Suite. Those suites have a large shower with a tile bench seat. All Deluxe Suites whose suite numbers end in 1 through 6 are shower-only suites. Here's a picture of a Mariner shower-only bathroom. (https://www.rsscmedia.com/AssetDetails.html?aid=l131109&cbPage=X) Just click on the picture to enlarge it.

Unfortunately, I can't remember whether there is a grab bar next to the toilet. Give Regent a call to find out. There are grab bars in the shower.

Hope this helps.

Dave

We have only cruised on the Mariner and Navigator, never on the Voyager, though I understand that Voyager's cabin layouts are the same as Navigator's. These comments apply to cabins below Penthouse (and, in fact, on Navigator the Penthouse suites are the same layout too). Hopefully other CC'ers will confirm/correct/amplify these recollections.

First, as I recall, there is a grab bar near the toilet. Second, the bathing facilities on Navigator (and Voyager as I understand it) include separate tub and shower. The shower is (almost) level in, but the shower stall is not very spacious and I found it to be tight quarters. On Mariner, the bathrooms have either a shower only, which is almost level in, or a shower-over-tub combination that requires a very substantial step up. I believe that on Mariner a majority of the suites have been converted to shower only, and the shower stalls are nicely tiled, spacious, and include a bench.

I should also note that there is a small step up from the floor of the suite to access the bathroom itself.

Not having cruised in any of the upper-level suites I can't offer any information about them. Hope this is helpful.

I cannot comment on Navigator but I can confirm that as DaveFr says many Mariner deluxe (basic) suites have been converted to shower only. Voyager deluxe suites have shower plus bath. The mariner showers have a tiled seat and in addition your stewardess will provide a shower stool on both ships.

On neither are there the handles or supports to help rising from the seat, but you can help yourself up by holding nearby supports (sink or whatever)

Of course the handicapped accessible suites have all aids.

Just to say that on our recent Voyager cruise, I was impressed by how many of the passengers had handicaps of one sort or another, some seemingly "minor," some seemingly significant indeed. I've always had the feeling that I'd be one of the stay-in-my-room-and-sulk types, so it's an important course-correction for me to see people with large or small disabilities going about their business and pleasure with as much spirit as anyone else. I learn a lot on these cruises-- about all sorts of things! Btw, it reminds me of a couple we once knew (both now gone) who so loved traveling that even in their late 80's/early 90's, even years after the fellow had dementia, they were both still happily sailing the seven seas. The strength of the human spirit and character amaze me. I don't think I'd ever measure up.

We were on the Mariner on its transatlantic crossing in 829, an F deluxe suite which is a handicapped room. Slightly larger than the other suites of the same category to allow for turning a wheelchair and a slightly different layout but very similar to regular suites. It has a shower with no step-up and bars for both the shower and for the toilet. Not the most well thought out for the handicapped but it worked. There are 2 of these suites on deck 8 and I think deck 9 and 10 have similar suites but in a higher categories.

It really sounds like it would fit you perfectly even if not in a wheelchair.

Just to say that on our recent Voyager cruise, I was impressed by how many of the passengers had handicaps of one sort or another, some seemingly "minor," some seemingly significant indeed. I've always had the feeling that I'd be one of the stay-in-my-room-and-sulk types, so it's an important course-correction for me to see people with large or small disabilities going about their business and pleasure with as much spirit as anyone else. I learn a lot on these cruises-- about all sorts of things! Btw, it reminds me of a couple we once knew (both now gone) who so loved traveling that even in their late 80's/early 90's, even years after the fellow had dementia, they were both still happily sailing the seven seas. The strength of the human spirit and character amaze me. I don't think I'd ever measure up.

I love your post, Poss -- and I agree completely!

I would say, given the number of pax I've seen aboard with physical limitations, that Regent is well-equipped to handle the OP's situation. Simply let Regent know your specifications (or have your TA do it), and I have little doubt they'll make sure you're taken care of and comfortable.

I learn a lot on these cruises-- about all sorts of things! Btw, it reminds me of a couple we once knew (both now gone) who so loved traveling that even in their late 80's/early 90's, even years after the fellow had dementia, they were both still happily sailing the seven seas. The strength of the human spirit and character amaze me. I don't think I'd ever measure up.

What a lovely post, Poss! I'm sure you will measure up.

One of the most wonderful things we witness on every Regent cruise we have taken is the kindness shown to passengers by the crew onboard. They truly care for their passengers and I find the warmth and care one of the most appealing things about this cruiseline.

You will enjoy your Regent experience.

• 2 weeks later...

We recently had a Mariner Penthouse suite that was shower-only. Not only did the shower had a grab bar or bars, the wall opposite the shower head had a nice sitting area. The was also a secondary, hand-held shower sprayer.

I don't recall any grab bars around the toilet. From a mobility perspective, the one negative aspect was a slight step to enter the bathroom -- actually a potential tripping hazard for anyone.

Agree about the step to enter the bathroom. I have often stubbed my toe there. But not unique to Regent. I have encountered it on other ships, so don't know if it is something about the construction of a bathroom on a boat.

I think I've seen this on every cruise ship (nay, every ship, period) I've been on. I think it has to do with possible flooding, and keeping it confined to its own area.

Archived