A few Monarch questions.....

Hi - I'm close to booking a 4 night Monarch cruise. I've never been on RCI. I'd like to know about the gym/fitness classes (pretty standard?) and the spa. Is there a sauna, and is there an extra charge?

And how is Jade? I like the idea of Asian fusion very much. It seems to only be open for dinner. Do I need a reservation?

And for a scheduled 7 am arrival at PC, what would be a comfortable flight time from MCO? I'll probably ask this over at the port board, but just thought I'd ask now, as long as I'm here.

Thanks so much - any additional info is welcome!

Hi - I'm close to booking a 4 night Monarch cruise. I've never been on RCI. I'd like to know about the gym/fitness classes (pretty standard?) and the spa. Is there a sauna, and is there an extra charge? The gym has some free weights, a good selection of weight machines, treadmills, ellipticals, and bikes. My wife tells me there is a sauna and it was free.

And how is Jade? I like the idea of Asian fusion very much. It seems to only be open for dinner. Do I need a reservation? You are correct, Jade is only open for dinner. I've been there many times, and it was never even half full, so I don't think a reservation is necessary. The sushi was very fresh. We also enjoyed the filet on the hot rock. Cost should be $15 to $25 per person, depending on what you order. We normally order one sushi, one salad, and the petite filet, and that's about $18.

And for a scheduled 7 am arrival at PC, what would be a comfortable flight time from MCO? I'll probably ask this over at the port board, but just thought I'd ask now, as long as I'm here. I'd be comfortable with a noon flight.

Thanks so much - any additional info is welcome!

See answers in red above.

Bob

Just came off the Monarch. Have been on several other Royal cruises and hace enjoyed every single one of them. It's the smallest in the fleet of RCL. The ship is dated in some areas, and definitely nothing like the newer ships w. the promenade, etc. If you are just looking for a relaxing get away, then this will be fine. The Jade restaurant is pay for what you eat, not a one price cover. We didn't visit that for this reason. Spend a few extra $ and book a room on deck 9 w. a window. It was well worth it, and the window was not that obstructed as we were led to believe. If I hadn't been on the other bigger ships of RCL and this was my only one, I feel that I wouldn't have gotten a good impression of cruising. The staff is great, friendly, helpful, etc. It's just not the same as being on the ships w. more activities and all of the newer things! have fun!

Monarch is an older ship but her crew and staff have hearts bigger than the ship - you will have a gret time!!!!

Happy cruising!!:)

Really true what you said about the crew. With the new (old) Hotel Director John Denton, and the Associate HD Patrick Beck, the hospitality and service aboard Monarch is unsurpassed.

Bob

Just back from a 4nt cruise on Monarch..it was a great ship & I would not hesitate to book again...as mentioned the rooms are really...REALLY small..I was sailing solo so my cabin on Deck 4 was fine...but if you can swing a little bit extra the Superior Ocean View on Deck 9 would be even better...

I would definately NOT book any flight before noon...we were delayed yesterday getting into Port due to hurricane Irene...I am a light packer & was doing express check out..carrrying off my own luggage...it was close to 8:30 before we were cleared to leave the ship.. a couple next to me in the waiting area were really nervous about the 10:30 flight they had booked...they were planning to grab a taxi as soon as they got off..which I am sure was VERY expensive...hopefully the line for security at MCO wasn't to bad & they made their flight...not a very fun way to end a vacation IMHO...

Just came off the Monarch. Have been on several other Royal cruises and hace enjoyed every single one of them. It's the smallest in the fleet of RCL. The ship is dated in some areas, and definitely nothing like the newer ships w. the promenade,

There's no promenade? I like to walk around and around the ship. But in any case, the big ships don't interest me (except for maybe more stability?) . I like the idea of a smaller ship.

I'm still not sure I'm going to go. I have a few things to consider, but every time I check this board, I get all excited again :cool:

There's a 12:30 flight I was looking at, but as someone mentioned upthread, sweating out an on-time arrival is enough to ruin the vacation.

Thanks again for the information!

There's no promenade? I like to walk around and around the ship. But in any case, the big ships don't interest me (except for maybe more stability?) . I like the idea of a smaller ship.

I'm still not sure I'm going to go. I have a few things to consider, but every time I check this board, I get all excited again :cool:

There's a 12:30 flight I was looking at, but as someone mentioned upthread, sweating out an on-time arrival is enough to ruin the vacation.

A 12.30 flight should not be a problem, even if you didn't get off the ship until 10.00, and that would be very very unusual, you could still be at MCO by 11.00, leaving plenty of time for a 12.30 flight

i used the fitness center on my recent monarch cruised and enjoyed it ..it had awesome veiws of the sunrise in the am.....this was my first ever cruise and we really enjoyed the cruise director drew, he was amazing !!! seemed like something was always going on!!! they offer optipnal classes in the gym for a price of 12.00 such as pilates yoga and a body assessment they also offered a few free classes on healthy eating and what not ...we really enjoyed this cruise!! i hope you will too!!!;)

Monarch does not have the Royal Promenade shopping area BUT has the outside promenade to walk around (is that what you are asking???) Monarch is one of my favorite ships..small, cozy, friendly and relaxing!!! Go for it!!

Actually, the Monarch does have a Promenade. It's the traditional type of promenade - which is the type that circles the entire ship on Deck 7.

Its not like the inside Royal Promenade on the new ships. I love the Monarch's Promenade Deck - it's big and wide and you can walk uninterrupted up one side around the front, down the other and around the rear. I think the sign said 3 times around is a mile.

Especially at night when the lights from all the indoor venues are twinkling away and people are buzzing around, its such a peaceful nice place.

Enjoy your cruise .. Monarch is one of our favorite ships -- I'm jealous!!

just got off 8-26 and John Denton had gone home so the associate HD, Patrick Beck stepped up to Hotel Director. Great crew and the Captain kept us informed on what was going on with Irene and where we'd be going next (kudos to Capt Nik back at the desk in Miami doing his Port Captain job, getting us places to go). It was fun!

Monarch does not have the Royal Promenade shopping area BUT has the outside promenade to walk around (is that what you are asking???) Monarch is one of my favorite ships..small, cozy, friendly and relaxing!!! Go for it!!

Actually, the Monarch does have a Promenade. It's the traditional type of promenade - which is the type that circles the entire ship on Deck 7.

Its not like the inside Royal Promenade on the new ships. I love the Monarch's Promenade Deck - it's big and wide and you can walk uninterrupted up one side around the front, down the other and around the rear. I think the sign said 3 times around is a mile.

Especially at night when the lights from all the indoor venues are twinkling away and people are buzzing around, its such a peaceful nice place.

Enjoy your cruise .. Monarch is one of our favorite ships -- I'm jealous!!

Yes, thank you, outdoor walking.

kc320: How was the solo cruising? And more importantly, did you mind leaving your (avatar) cat for 4 days ;)

Archived