Many Thanks

Ozjohnno

With just around 48 hours before we fly out to Paris to start our Adventure of a Lifetime, culminating with our Tauck cruise starting at Amsterdam on 6th September, I thought I should take a few minutes to thank those on this wonderful board (Fashion Police excepted) for all the help, guidance and advice you have given us as we prepared for our expensive adventure.

I started our search for our "perfect holiday" back in January 2010 by asking a couple of questions that were answered promptly and honestly by people whom I've since come to appreciate as great CC posters. I'm going to name a few but in doing that I understand that I'll forget many.

Kellypoodle, Shoshona2 and Franski were three lovely ladies that came to my aid time after time answering questions that had been asked many times before and gave me much insight in how to search for our cruise. We took their advice and prepared spreadsheets that eventually lead us to Tauck.

Mike Preisman thank you for one of the most in-depth cruise reports any novice could want to read. Whilst I may never have your passion for photographing Cathedrals (I'm afraid I may become ABC'd by the cruises end) I have certainly been impressed by your attention to detail. We have booked a dinner at the Cafe Kor in Budapest - Ah! The wonders of the internet - and I'm going to order that beautifully photographed veal dish you had.

I would be remiss if I didn't thank Freddie for his support during the "attack of the fashion police" I went through earlier this year. Sometimes a simple question can lead to WW111. Thanks for having my back mate.

We will probably not post until we return but we will forever be thinking of all the good advice when we see those sights that many of you have already seen.

Now to go and try to stop "herself" from packing and repacking for the umpteenth time. I'll post a comprehensive review when we return.

It was my pleasure to be able to help --> even if it was in a small way.

Enjoy your trip... And let "herself" pack as many times as she wants... I'll bet with all the practice that she is an expert at finding a few extra inches in the suitcase when needed to bring back souvenirs...

Cafe Kor was great - we also dined there as a result of Mike's recommendation. After dinner, it was great to walk around and see some of the sights at night. The lights on some of the buildings are spectacular.

If you get a chance to go to the market, have a piece of strudel. They have a stall that only sells strudel - and I have never tasted anything like it. DH had apple - I had apricot and cheese. OMG - worth every calorie, and every gram of fat. I almost convinced myself that it was good for me - after all, it had fruit and milk products in it...:D

Look forward to reading about your experiences.

Fran(ski)

Hi Sheila -

The Cafe Kor is a great little local restaurant on the Pest side of the river. It is an easy walk from the Danube and the Chain Bridge.

http://www.cafekor.com/

It is not open on Sundays - and only accepts cash. There is an e-mail address now - so you can make a reservation. I would suggest that you do made a reservation - as it is popular, with both tourists and locals.

When we went, there was no e-mail address on the website - so we had the concierge at our hotel make reservations for us.

We had the one of the daily specials - and even splurged on dessert. I remember that... homemade donuts with apricot jam...mmmmm

We went after reading about it on Mike Preisman's site.

Fran

When we were in Budapest, we stayed at the Intercontinental for 2 nights. On the Sunday night, we ate at a restaurant just down the block from the hotel (away from the Chain Bridge...) It was called the Ambassador Étterem. We ate there as we liked the menu (on a sandwich board out front...) Very low key - but we quite enjoyed the meal. Price reasonable as well.

Just remembered that after I posted on Cafe Kor.

I couldn't find anything on the internet - other than an address. But thought I would share.

Fran

Was it on the corner with a large outdoor eating area overlooking the sidewalk next to the tram track? If you went out of the Intercontinental by the side door where the taxis are did you make a u turn and go left and then the restaurant was at the end of the block on the left?

stretchcruz - It was in the middle of the block. There was a restaurant at the end of the block - close to the bronze statue (? Little Princess) that was listed in the guide books as being a good place to eat. Based on the posted menu, it was more expensive than the one we ate at --> and there was a line up to get a table. We started to walk back towards the Intercontinental and noticed this one. And were quite pleased. I remember I ordered one of the specials, and it was very good.

Archived