Do you think NCL owes them anything?

Cruiser303!

Wow...I didn't realize there were so many insurance representatives disguised as CC members on here. One says insurance won't cover weather delays, another says it will. If you want to know what the travel insurance covers, I would suggest you call the toll-free number that comes with your policy. Then again...did anybody even read your policy?

Just wanted to add this also: If you do have insurance and make a claim and are fortunate enough to get some $$$ back, please do not ask if you will also be getting your premium for the insurance you paid refunded too. If you had to make a claim on your auto insurance, would you ask for your premium back on that? Now I'm sure most of you realize this, but there are some of you who do not. Just doing my best to be helpful. :D

Actually, the update for the Gem didn't get posted until about 2:30/3:00 yesterday afternoon. Updates for the Jewel were posted at 11. Emails and phone calls did not start until even later--the email I received is time-stamped 4:18 PM, and the first phone call was well after that.

I am not asking NCL to "save my butt." I do take responsibility for not buying travel insurance. I recognize that they owe me nothing. I am simply asking NCL to acknowledge my loss. The storm is out of their control, but it is out of my control too. They are not taking a financial hit. I am. It would be nice of them to recognize that. Other cruise lines are.

I would consider the fact that at 11am NCL stated they would be putting out information on the Gem at 2pm to be an update. The NWC was announcing their next update at 2pm and they needed to know what Irene and NYC was going to do. It makes no sense to make announcements without knowing what NYC was going to allow them to do. I don't understand why everyone isn't blaming NYC for not letting NCL pick them up tomorrow. Sue them for your day!

It's a shame this has happened to you on your first cruise but you really need to take a deep breathe and calm down. Stressing yourself out will not get you that 7th day on the ship but may ruin the 6 days you will have.

HELLO JAJA!!!! How the hell are you?? Looks like we can sleep good tonight since Irene is coming tomorrow morning. God help us.

Even tho we lost a day back in Dec, it was still a blast!

We had the option to cancel per NCL people. 6 days was better then none.

We ALWAYS buy insurance. One never knows if a family member gets ill, someone breaks a limb, car accident, ect.... stuff happens.

I have to say that NCL did the right thing for us.

I find it much better to deal directly with cruise line when booking over going thru a travel agent. Had a woman in my office book with my travel agent at NCL for her next cruise this December and she has gone from a courtyard penthouse to the owners suite for less money and just the other day the prices went down and she wrote to our travel agent and is getting close to $400 back on her charge card. It pays to deal directly with the cruise line agents, that for sure!

hi Mrs.H..yes..we all did have a great time!!!! shortened cruise or not:D

it was good to sail with such a nice group!

NCL gave us back our port charges for missing Nassau.

I also got reimbursed for my car service since I had a relative to drive us on Sunday but since the ship was leaving on Monday I had to pay to get to the pier.

I have to admit, NCL did do their best in helping us get thru a bad situation.

I did have to laugh when we were advised that NCL was not charging us for tips for the first night of cruise. UMMMMM WE WEREN'T ON THE SHIP THE FIRST NIGHT WHEN IT WAS SUPPOSE TO LEAVE. LOL

We all got a kick out of that. They tried to make it look good by saying such a thing.

I wonder if these people that are suppose to go out tomorrow are being given the option to opt out like we were given.

I look now and again to see if I can get a good deal on the owners suite.

That cabin was to die for. Was looking at the pics from Rich and Loretta

3 bedroom this past May. OMG! HOW WONDERFUL MUST THAT HAVE BEEN??!!!!

I don't think I'll ever get that cabin.....not unless they take us with them. lol

Actually, the communication started going out yesterday morning -- 11am. Emails, facebook, phone calls, NCL web site. I am due to go on Gem a month from now and even I noticed all of the hoopla surrounding YOUR cruise.

Take a little bit of the responsibilty. You didn't buy travel insurance. Don't expect NCL to save your butt now.

I have to disagree. at well after 11am, they said there would be a 2pm update. That's not really an update, but okay it was something. The 2pm announcement didn't come til more like 2:50. I was monitoring constantly. And they posted on their facebook page 1st at 2:40pm. B/c I wrote on their wall and they directed me to the update they had just posted. Honestly, I'd rather have that 11am "non-update" than looking at that SAME message from 8/24 til 8/26 @ 2:50pm. In today's day of technology there is no excuse for that. They should CONSTANTLY be updating, even if there is no news. People live online these days.

And I didn't get a call until 1pm today. And my agency didn't get called until 4:40pm yesterday.

I'm an agent, I bought insurance, and I'm well aware of what's in my contract. And, I think that b/c of the bad press RCCL is getting, that's all the MORE reason why NCL should give an OBC. Of course that's probably why Celebrity's doing it, and guess what? That's the right call. NCL should follow suit. It would really go a long way for the people that are put off by this. And when booking that next cruise, people will remember.

I did have to laugh when we were advised that NCL was not charging us for tips for the first night of cruise. UMMMMM WE WEREN'T ON THE SHIP THE FIRST NIGHT WHEN IT WAS SUPPOSE TO LEAVE. LOL

We all got a kick out of that. They tried to make it look good by saying such a thing.

I think that was aimed at the passengers who chose the prepayment option for gratuities.

I think that was aimed at the passengers who chose the prepayment option for gratuities.

Mrs H isn't talking about the current situation. She is talking about her December Jewel (drydock problem) cruise.

Are you seriously asserting that a company that charges more for a similar product makes more money? Key word here is similar . . . the NCL and X product are not identical.

Summit has 1 crew for 2 pax and a 46.7 space ratio while Gem only has 1 crew to 2.8 pax and a space ratio of 32.8 . . . clearly not an identical product. Then a look at the food served in the regular dining venues is another indicator that which company spends more money per passenger.

Most of us expect to pay more for a roomier car, a larger house or a meal with more and (subjectively) better ingredients and courses.

You have my permission to pay whatever you want for your cruises. I prefer to deal with a company that doesn't gouge their customers, then play the "good guy role" and give part of it back !!

Your further comments about prices are not supported by facts. Mine are !!

I just assumed EVERYONE prepays for gratuties on NCL since this way

the well deserved hard workers on the ships are ensured to get what they so justly deserve. (of course butler and concierge not included in that);)

My heart goes out to all those affected by Hurricane Irene . I know the excitement that goes into planning a cruise and there is nothing worse then your vacation being ruined by a storm of this nature. This was not part of the plan when you made your reservations.

I personally would be very upset and disappointed if I were on this upcoming sailing . This exact time last year we were getting ready to board a ship to bermuda from NYC with two impending storms that might have ruined our cruise. Luckily it didn't. But I do remember the panic I felt up until the very end.

While yes this is hurricane season , it's also summer vacation for alot of people who can only take time off of work / school during these months .

This may be someones first cruise and maybe their last because of this. It may be a First of something for alot of people.

Hurricane season lasts for 5 months it's not like it's a window of a few weeks to worry about.

I think some sensitivity would go along way here instead of wondering if NCL owes them anything.

I think we as cruise critic members should be wishing for the path of Irene to change drastically so no ones itinerary has to be interrupted . Afterall, we're all cruise lovers here .

I'm saying an extra prayer tonight for all those on this weekends cruises.

It would be nice if NCL or others did a little something extra for their guests whether they had to or not .

Goodnight all .

Well said !

NCL cant control the weather, so dont sail hurricane season and expect a "perfect" cruise.

A little OBC would be nice though.

I just assumed EVERYONE prepays for gratuties on NCL since this way the well deserved hard workers on the ships are ensured to get what they so justly deserve. (of course butler and concierge not included in that);)

I certainly agree that the workers deserve their tip, but I don't agree that NCL needs to hold on to that $$$ for me until I cruise and reap the benefits of the measly interest that would accrue. I prefer to pay the money when it is owed, and let it sit in my bank account until it's due.

I certainly agree that the workers deserve their tip, but I don't agree that NCL needs to hold on to that $$$ for me until I cruise and reap the benefits of the measly interest that would accrue. I prefer to pay the money when it is owed, and let it sit in my bank account until it's due.

I must have misunderstood the prepayment. I thought NCL just takes the funds from your account each day of the cruise.

Are you saying that at time of booking people pay up front for the tips?

I must have misunderstood the prepayment. I thought NCL just takes the funds from your account each day of the cruise.

Are you saying that at time of booking people pay up front for the tips?

You have the option of paying the DSC or what is now called OSC (Onboard Service Charges) prior to your cruise. If you don't wish to thats OK too, they will add it to your account daily as they always did.

Some people wish to keep their end bill down and have as much of their vacation paid ahead as they can for various reasons.

We did ???.:D..Who knew...:confused: you are right it was fun cruise..

Hey gals, how are you all doing ???

Made it through Irene just fine..

You gals are right BUY INSURANCE !!!!

We did ???.:D..Who knew...:confused: you are right it was fun cruise..

Hey gals, how are you all doing ???

Made it through Irene just fine..

You gals are right BUY INSURANCE !!!!

Hi RIch!!!:D

Update: NCL "weather alert"--STILL not updated....same message -dated 8/26 still there...

Well since the alert says "If there are any further changes, we will update this site."

I would guess there are "no further changes"

Update: NCL "weather alert"--STILL not updated....same message -dated 8/26 still there...

There are several websites that give you the ship's position if that is what you are seeking. Otherwise, I would rely on NCL to let you know of any changes. They have been very good about doing that so far during this storm.

I think we all would - in a perfect world.

However, can you truly blame NCL??? Hell no!!! It isn't there fault that the weather isn't cooperating. Get real!!!

My lord you all talk as if NCL is a person. It is a bussiness that cares less about its passengers. They will refund 1/7 only if they have to.

This additional loss is figured into the profit margin and other reputable cruises have offered it back to their customers. You will be stuck with NCLS decision this time but remember this next time you go on a cruise.

Go online to the respective line's site and look at the prices for this time next year . . .

Hmmm how odd. The prices seem to be more. I could not possilbly be that NCL is trying to keep its profits up could it. What a strange thing for a business do :rolleyes:

Check their facebook page...

Norwegian Cruise Line 21 hours ago

Captain Roger Gustavsen reports that Norwegian Gem is having a good day at sea today, well away from the storm. He says there is no rain and many guests were out on the upper decks. He appreciates that he has recieved lots of support and understanding from the guests onboard.

Archived