Which helicopter trip to take in Juneau or Skagway

bigcat46

I've done heli in both ports, not different IMHO. The larger variable is what other excursions you plan and than squeezing this in.

In Juneau there are several vendors, Skagway only one. Thru the ship costs a bit more but transportation is included. The other advantage of thru the ship is of course you book and don't pay till end of the cruise. If you go independent you pony up when you make the reseveration, both of course give refund if canceled due to weather. The cruise options at least on Princess allowed cancellation last year on the first day of the cruise.

Going to Alaska next June and there are a wide variety of helicopter trips. Cost is not an issue just want great experience. Also should we use ships or get one not through the ship. Thanks for your help.

If you are adventurous and are in relatively good shape the best excursion we took in Alaska was the Extended Helicopter Glacier tour in Juneau. We took a helicopter to the glacier, got out and hiked across the glacier (stopping to drink fresh glacial water) then did a technical climb up a glacial wall. It was amazing and we saw things we didn't see anywhere else on that trip. In our group, 4 were in their mid 40s and two late teens.

Book your flightseeing where it fits your time best. It does not matter which port. For the "best" you need to determine, what you want? The level 3 glacier trek is excellent, but if you don't want a trek, then the longer "pilot's" choice option with two glacier landings- certainly a "better" option for the longer flight.

With no limits in budget, then figure out which would fit your touring priority best and go with that. :) All are great!

just wondering what helicopter adventures are available in Skagway. I googled and couldn't find anything other than renting a private plane.

The operator is TEMSCO, go to their web site for their tour details.

TEMSCO is a first class operation, just be aware that at least last year if you book directly they won't pick you up and it can be a bit of a hike to from dock to airport

just wondering what helicopter adventures are available in Skagway. I googled and couldn't find anything other than renting a private plane.

We just got back from our cruise. We had booked a dog sledding glacier excursion through TEMSCO (temscoair.com) in Skagway that had to be canceled due to weather. Instead, they took us on their glacier discovery tour. Because it was a cancellation flight, we ended up going on a pilot's choice, and it was awesome.

Since we booked independently, we did have to find our own way to their office. It was a pretty short walk from the boat, though. They also have shuttles running from the boat to their office. And it was much cheaper booking on our own instead of through the ship.

I will say there were two main reasons we chose to do this excursion in Skagway versus Juneau. First, we were in Skagway for much longer than we were in Juneau, and we had time to do two excursions there. And second, when I looked into booking this in Juneau, the person at the helicopter company actually said that if we only had time for one excursion in Juneau we really should do whale watching instead, especially since we could still do the helicopter in Skagway. So that's what we did. I thought it was really refreshing that she was willing to lose business for herself in an effort to make sure we had the optimal Alaska experience.

I thought it was really refreshing that she was willing to lose business for herself in an effort to make sure we had the optimal Alaska experience.

We have found that to be true for most Alaskans. They love the state and want to do everything they can to make sure you love it too. The whole state feels like a small town where everyone is friendly and helpful.

Since we booked independently, we did have to find our own way to their office. It was a pretty short walk from the boat, though. They also have shuttles running from the boat to their office. And it was much cheaper booking on our own instead of through the ship.

I will speculate this poster was either at the Ore or Broadway dock. TEMSCO certainly is not a "short walk" from the RR dock, especially the second ship. There is a SMART shuttle bus available, that loads at the end of the dock.

I will speculate this poster was either at the Ore or Broadway dock. TEMSCO certainly is not a "short walk" from the RR dock, especially the second ship. There is a SMART shuttle bus available, that loads at the end of the dock.

Yep, Broadway.

We just got back from Alaska. When we booked our heli trip for dog sledding on a glacier, we decided to book it in the first town our boat docked at (Skagway), so if the weather was bad, we would have another shot in the next port (Juneau) at rebooking the trip. The trip in Skagway was cancelled due to weather. And we actually decided not to rebook it in Juneau because there were other things we wanted to do, but it was nice to plan that option into the itinerary.

Going to Alaska next June and there are a wide variety of helicopter trips. Cost is not an issue just want great experience. Also should we use ships or get one not through the ship. Thanks for your help.

You don't say what ship you're on but I would imagine the tour operators have contracts with most of the cruise lines. In 2009, I took a helicopter through TEMSCO to Meade Glacier in Skagway and it included a walk around the glacier. It was raining but that didn't detract one bit from the awesome experience.

DSCN0791.jpg

DSCN0804.jpg

DOes anyone know of a helecopter + mendenhall glacier tour for less money than Temsco? I went on their website and if you are on any of the major cruise lines they will not permit a direct booking. The quoted fare was $304pp.

DOes anyone know of a helecopter + mendenhall glacier tour for less money than Temsco? I went on their website and if you are on any of the major cruise lines they will not permit a direct booking. The quoted fare was $304pp.

You don't need any "tour" of Mendenhall, I am speculating you are looking for a visit there and your reference is a drop off? I don't know of any who do this, you could take a cab, direct airport/Mendenhall and then the $8 shuttle bus to/from the ship.

Archived