Irene Update NY

CaroleLee

We are in the Long Beach area where evacuation was mandatory .Our initial thought was to go to friends or relatives in Hartsdale but we did not want to be that far away and instead stayed with friends in East Meadow .We just came home and have minimal damage to our house .However ,the wind is blowing at a higher speed than last night.

Just saw your post my 100 y/o aunt lives on Pacific Blvd-she went to her dgts house. Luckily she did not lose power and the sump pump worked. Glad that you are OK. Again this is from my Town Supervisor- Insurance claims: If you have homeowner's insurance and sustained any damage, start collecting documents to support any claim, Visit the NYS Insurance Department Web site at http://www.ins.state.ny.us to learn more about insurance and natural disasters. Flood damage is often not covered under many policies. I will be contacting our Congressional representatives and will ask if FEMA will be offering residents who are impacted by the floods any reimbursements/loans and what process they should use to apply for the FEMA assistance.

Hope your damage is very slight.

Incidentally my Town Supervisor is Paul Feiner-Town of Greenburgh NY ( Hartsdale is part of Greenburgh) where does your family live?

Carole

However ,the wind is blowing at a higher speed than last night.

Yea, that was terrible. The wind yesterday afternoon into the evening was almost worse than the winds from the storm. We have so many downed trees and limbs and limbs that are cracked but still hanging in the trees I was nervous they were going to do more damage.

Luckily we never lost power, even though 50% of Stamford, CT is without power and the only damage I had was water pouring through my living room window. We were very lucky in my area of town. Other parts near the sound were flooded and North Stamford is a nightmare.

Yea, that was terrible. The wind yesterday afternoon into the evening was almost worse than the winds from the storm. We have so many downed trees and limbs and limbs that are cracked but still hanging in the trees I was nervous they were going to do more damage.

Luckily we never lost power, even though 50% of Stamford, CT is without power and the only damage I had was water pouring through my living room window. We were very lucky in my area of town. Other parts near the sound were flooded and North Stamford is a nightmare.

Cruising Chick, glad to hear that you didn't lose power or have serious damage to your house. I saw photos of Stamford on the Connecticut news station last night and thought of you.

Thank you for the above. I think that the reason we are all on this board is that we love cruising & all the wonderful details that make up a cruise. We want to help/advise others so that they can also have a great time. I started the thread because I know that many of us have friends/family in the storm track & sometimes an on the ground reporter is more helpful than the TV networks re your/their area. Right now (9am NY) the Sun is out and the air is clear. My deck is almost dry so by this afternoon I can move the bar b que out of my living room ( as it clashes with my furniture :) ). Let's all be glad that we made it through the storm.

And to everyone out there pls excuse my bad typing.

Carole

So glad things are drying out. And yes, barbeques are good for the decor of the LR. Would love to meet you on a cruise sometime. My husband and I are going Feb. 11th on the Constellation. Then the next year (Jan 2013) we are taking my daughter on a cruise (Princess) to celebrate her 50th birthday. We go usually once a year - wish it were more as we love cruising so much but we are retired and have to watch our pocketbook. Have a good day and thanks so much for being such light in this world.

So glad things are drying out. And yes, barbeques are good for the decor of the LR. Would love to meet you on a cruise sometime. My husband and I are going Feb. 11th on the Constellation. Then the next year (Jan 2013) we are taking my daughter on a cruise (Princess) to celebrate her 50th birthday. We go usually once a year - wish it were more as we love cruising so much but we are retired and have to watch our pocketbook. Have a good day and thanks so much for being such light in this world.

Opps, speaking of typing - I meant barbeques are NOT good for the decor.

Just saw your post my 100 y/o aunt lives on Pacific Blvd-she went to her dgts house. Luckily she did not lose power and the sump pump worked. Glad that you are OK. Again this is from my Town Supervisor- Insurance claims: If you have homeowner's insurance and sustained any damage, start collecting documents to support any claim, Visit the NYS Insurance Department Web site at www.ins.state.ny.us to learn more about insurance and natural disasters. Flood damage is often not covered under many policies. I will be contacting our Congressional representatives and will ask if FEMA will be offering residents who are impacted by the floods any reimbursements/loans and what process they should use to apply for the FEMA assistance.

Hope your damage is very slight.

Incidentally my Town Supervisor is Paul Feiner-Town of Greenburgh NY ( Hartsdale is part of Greenburgh) where does your family live?

Carole

We have relatives in the Fox Glen development and friends about 1/4 mile north of there .

We have friends living in CT who are on vacation and coming home tomorrow .They have no idea what to expect .

We have friends living in CT who are on vacation and coming home tomorrow .They have no idea what to expect .

YIKES. I feel for them.

That happened to us in April 2007. We were out visiting colleges during Spring Break. We knew the weather had been bad and there had been a storm. We did not know we were coming home to a flooded basement and family room. What a mess. I hope they don't find any damage.

It would be my pleasure to meet you & your family on a cruise. Planning for 2013 Scandanavia & St. Petersburg-just in the gathering info & counting those FF points.

HAve a wonderful cruise & an early Happy Birthday to yourdgt.

Carole

Thanks for the update re: Stamford. I work in Stamord and live in Greenwich. We left Friday with the kids and pets and are holding off returning until tomorrow due to the roads back still being flooded or blocked etc.

If you have any more details about Stamford/Greenwich area, I would love to hear them.

Take caer and happy cruising (once we clean up this mess !)

Andrea

If you have any more details about Stamford/Greenwich area, I would love to hear them.!)

Andrea

Just like Stamford, Greenwich back country near Westchester County is a mess and near the water got flooded. Here's a link from the Greenwich Times today:

http://www.greenwichtime.com/news/article/Some-Greenwich-shoreline-residents-decide-to-ride-2144287.php#ixzz1WRU7RNSh

I-95 is fine and the Merritt is okay for driving. Not sure where you are coming from but all the major roadways around seem to be okay.

CC is a small world I'm about 1.5 miles fromFox Glen

Stay safe, dry out

Carole

On our cruise last month a couple sat down at the table we were at for dinner ,total strangers .After conversing for a bit we discovered that we lived 2 blocks away from each other in the 80's .

It wasn't the roads in CT holding us up. We are coming back from Binghamton and the Central NY/Penn roads are our challenge.

Stay safe and dry.

I haven't heard of anything about the roads in Central NY. I do know that NY State Thruway I-87 between exits 15 and 17 were closed, but now they are back open.

There is a portion of I-287 N in Booton, New Jersey that is closed. It washed away.

While I'm sure not wishing anyone a tough time dealing wth Irene, those of you sitting at home getting cosy get none of my sympathy. Instead aim your sympathy at those poor cruise passengers who are striving to get to their ship for their sailing. My sister and her family are currently driving from Toronto to New Jersey to catch a Celebrity cruise---they can't refuse to go or they lose all their $$$. So they are driving through rain etc and having to find a hotel for Sunday night since the cruise isn't leaving until Monday now...they don't want to stay too close too water in case of flooding. This was not what they planned on when they booked. They have already lost one of their cruise days...if there is flooding, we anticipate more cuts to their vacation.

Hope your sister & family made it safely.

Things are getting back to normal in NY but many still no lack power & water. NJ really bad

Carole

Archived