Irene Update NY

CaroleLee

Hi everyone. Posting from Westchester NY- about 18 mile North of NYC. Its warm & very humid. Staring to rain. Moved everything from my deck indoors. Have filled buckets in case of loss of water.

NYC transit has halted. Most of our train service ( subway) is underground in tunnels. Service has been stopped for fear of tunnel flooding. Low areas inc Battery PArk City- near ground Zero has been evacuated. Montauck Long Island ( also known as The End as it is the farthest point on Long Island is a ghost town.)

There are reports that Bridges- George Washington ( from NYC to NJ) and the Tappan Zee ( from Westchester County to Rockland County NY) will be closed if winds are excessive 60mph. Libraries closed until Mon. All airports in area (LGA,JFK, Libert Newark) are halting Inbound flights. If you have family in NYC they can call 311 for info please use 911 ONLY for emergencies. Tolls in parts of NJ & NY are suspended to faciliate evacuation.

Local news staions have cx their regukar programming & are on storm alert. We have been advised to have a Go Bag (Rx, ID etc) ready if we have to leave.

Will keep posting as long as I can- will take questions

Everyone in the track hold on

Carole

Hi Carole, thanks for posting and hope you and your family stay safe!!!

Thanks. Update Metro North- the commuter rail has halted service. Supermarkets still open. DH was @ Costco this am reported no more crowded than usual on a Sat. We stocked up on Thurs. Bottled water seems to be sold out everywhere.

NYC not permitting construction of any kind until at least Monday. Weather service now posting Tropical Storm warnings in addition to Irene

For those of you with family in NY CON ED emergency tel 800-572-1131

Rain has stopped here for the momemnt but you can feel it in the air

Carole

Yikes! :eek:

Hold on!!

Ditto due to hit NY approx 10pm tonight. This is from my Town Supervisor -Town of Greenburgh

NYBee-Line Buses: There will be no Bee-Line Bus or ParaTransit service on Sunday. Normal operations will continue on Saturday, with the last routes going out at 6 p.m., except for ParaTransit medical trips, which will continue. Service will resume Monday if conditions allow.

Other transportation: The MTA has closed down the NYC transit system (including Metro-North Railroad) as of noon.

Airport: All commercial airline service to and from the County Airport will be cancelled as of 6 p.m. today (Saturday). Flights are expected to resume around 3 p.m. on Monday. Passengers should contact their respective airline for further information. Check the Airport's Web site.

County Roads: The Bronx River Parkway will be closed today at 6 p.m. from the split with the Sprain Brook Parkway to Kensico Dam. There are no other reported road closings at this time.

PAUL FEINER

Started raining again.Con Ed has announced that they will cut power to lower Manhattan-afraid of power outages

Getting ready for a rough night.

Carole

Where/town are you?

Carole

Below are websites for NY.Putting batteries in my flashlights & cranking up the wind up radio. DH thinks we will probably lose power tonight going into Sun early am

For NYC

hurricane evacuation zone finder can be found here: http://gis.nyc.gov/oem/he/index.htm

for alerts http://www.nyc.gov/html/notifynyc/html/home/home.shtml

DH on tel with nephew in Boston- so far its calm there.

CArole

Below are websites for NY.Putting batteries in my flashlights & cranking up the wind up radio. DH thinks we will probably lose power tonight going into Sun early am

For NYC

hurricane evacuation zone finder can be found here: http://gis.nyc.gov/oem/he/index.htm

for alerts http://www.nyc.gov/html/notifynyc/html/home/home.shtml

DH on tel with nephew in Boston- so far its calm there.

CArole

Hi Carole,

Wishing you and your Family all the best. Everyone in the Hurricane's path is in our prayers.

Hi Carole,

Wishing you and your Family all the best. Everyone in the Hurricane's path is in our prayers.

Thanks for the thoughts. Stopped raining slight sliver of sunlight but you can definity feel something in the air.

Updates NJ= PATH tarins suspended.

Mandatory evacuations parts of NAssau & Suffolk counties NY

NJ Transit light rail & bus will be suspended @ 6p

Storm hugging the coastline

NJ Garden State Pkwy closed.

Outside my window- getting cloudy, wind has picked up

NYC Housing Authority is turning off the power to elevators in ZONE A-lower Manhattan, Coney Island etc.-basically low lying areas

Several colleges have postponed Freshmen move in from today until at least Monday

Mets games cx for Sat & Sun

Local station WABC now showing footage of Bloomingdales main 59th St NYC branch boarded up

More later Mayor Bllomberg -NYC starting press conference

Carole

Thanks for the thoughts. Stopped raining slight sliver of sunlight but you can definity feel something in the air.

Updates NJ= PATH tarins suspended.

Mandatory evacuations parts of NAssau & Suffolk counties NY

NJ Transit light rail & bus will be suspended @ 6p

Storm hugging the coastline

NJ Garden State Pkwy closed.

Outside my window- getting cloudy, wind has picked up

NYC Housing Authority is turning off the power to elevators in ZONE A-lower Manhattan, Coney Island etc.-basically low lying areas

Several colleges have postponed Freshmen move in from today until at least Monday

Mets games cx for Sat & Sun

Local station WABC now showing footage of Bloomingdales main 59th St NYC branch boarded up

More later Mayor Bllomberg -NYC starting press conference

Carole

Mayor Bloomberg's press conference:

Con Ed will be cutting steam to lower NYC

City & School buses being used to speed evacs

Worst flooding will probably be Sun morning

Local news update approx 1400 in NYC sheltering in evac ctrs

? People may be waiting as long as possible

Staten Island rapid transit closed

All Broadway show will be dark today & Sunday

Jets games reschedule

Wind outside my window has ceased. Some sunlight

Anyone out there on LI or outer boros?

Carole

Thank you for keeping us all updated Carole. You are doing a great service for those who need info in the NY area. Keep safe.

Thanks- Vancouver is a beautiful city-wonderful food.

Anyway will keep posting until my lights flicker.

Updates for NYC etc: MTA ( Transit Authority) totally shut down inc Access A Ride-handicapped van

Staten Is Ferry will cease as of 10p

All NJ Transit & PATH suspended until further notice

NJ No south bound traffic on Garden State Pkwy south of 98

CT- Norwalk mandatory evac in low lying areas

Fire Is NY- All electrical power has been turned off

NYC- Mayor Bloomberg aks that everyone stays inside for the next 24 hrs.

Best quote of the storm season Gov Christie of NJ re beaches " get the hell out of there"

Just walked outside to get the mail. Very humid-its hanging in the air. Getting dark but still light out.

Has anyone left Port of NY- Manhattan or Cape Liberty today? Conditions?

Carole

Wind has picked up slightly

Here in mid Nassau County (approx. 25 miles east of Manhattan) there has been some rain -- now at 5 p.m. -- squalls and looking gray. Breeze at times enough to make windchime collection ring! You can see that sewers are taking it in slowly, so will eventually back up. Reports on radio say that high tide is at 8 p.m. and 8 a.m. and it might be dangerous. Since storm path has changed slightly, Nassau County will be hit more than the City of NY proper.

Mandatory evacuation -- meaning no services for rescue if you don't leave. South of Sunrise Hwy. Rockville Centre to Queens. Also Bellmore area and then in Suffolk south of Sunrise Hwy.

Port Washington and Manorhaven areas also mandatory evacuation. Manhasset? Vicki:)

Hi all,

Having a "rain thread" right now but it will probably stop soon. Just picked up my father who lives on the water to stay with me. The eye is not scheduled to come through my area until tomorrow at 3ish. I'm cooking some sausages and meatballs. I will put them in a foil pan to heat up on the barbque tomorrow night.

Hi all,

Having a "rain thread" right now but it will probably stop soon. Just picked up my father who lives on the water to stay with me. The eye is not scheduled to come through my area until tomorrow at 3ish. I'm cooking some sausages and meatballs. I will put them in a foil pan to heat up on the barbque tomorrow night.

Sounds good- coming to your house for dinner :) I'm making lobster ravioli & lots of wine tonight.

Westchester NY update Rain starting. Getting dark. Wind picking up.

Carole

The Travers Stakes, at Saratoga, finished at about 6:00 P.M.; and the weather looked fine there.

7:45p Lights are flickering in Westchester NY. Mother-in-law in Coney Is Brooklyn NY had tel call from Con Ed they will be browning out the area. Skys are dark. Rain getting heavy.

Signing off computer. Thanks to everyone for good thoughts. Will try to connect via I-Pad

Everyone in the track courage & check your batteries.

More later or Sun am if possible

Carole

PS Ravioli was good. Finishing my wine

Hope you all keep safe over the pond. It must be so worrying for you all at this time..Take care and I'm sure that all in the UK are thinking of you and keeping our fingers crossed for your safety..Sharon..

The Travers Stakes, at Saratoga, finished at about 6:00 P.M.; and the weather looked fine there.

Not to sound rude, but where are you located? I saw your posts on another thread about the storm and along with this post you seem to have absolutely no compassion for anyone who is in the track of this storm. :( :(

Archived