Irene Update NY

CaroleLee

The Travers Stakes, at Saratoga, finished at about 6:00 P.M.; and the weather looked fine there.

Why do you persist in downplaying this storm? I am in Maryland toward the northern end of the Chesapeake bay, not on the coast, and am sitting here listening to the wind roar and I can tell you that this is not a non event. I am hoping we still have a boat in the morning.

Regarding the deaths in this storm so far, your comments were simply heartless. Apparently, however intelligent you may be, you lack compassion.

Anne

While I'm sure not wishing anyone a tough time dealing wth Irene, those of you sitting at home getting cosy get none of my sympathy. Instead aim your sympathy at those poor cruise passengers who are striving to get to their ship for their sailing. My sister and her family are currently driving from Toronto to New Jersey to catch a Celebrity cruise---they can't refuse to go or they lose all their $$$. So they are driving through rain etc and having to find a hotel for Sunday night since the cruise isn't leaving until Monday now...they don't want to stay too close too water in case of flooding. This was not what they planned on when they booked. They have already lost one of their cruise days...if there is flooding, we anticipate more cuts to their vacation.

I know what it is like to miss a cruise due to weather!!! Four years ago St Patricks day could not get out of Nyc to san Juan... we caught up with the ship in St Kitts.

Hear the wind picking up. We are in NY area on high ground. Not so worried about ourselves, but for others who will flood this is really sad.

While I'm sure not wishing anyone a tough time dealing wth Irene, those of you sitting at home getting cosy get none of my sympathy. Instead aim your sympathy at those poor cruise passengers who are striving to get to their ship for their sailing. My sister and her family are currently driving from Toronto to New Jersey to catch a Celebrity cruise---they can't refuse to go or they lose all their $$$. So they are driving through rain etc and having to find a hotel for Sunday night since the cruise isn't leaving until Monday now...they don't want to stay too close too water in case of flooding. This was not what they planned on when they booked. They have already lost one of their cruise days...if there is flooding, we anticipate more cuts to their vacation.

Your post makes the assumption that everyone who is in their house during this hurricane is safe and "cozy". Someone I know had a tree fall on her house, which caused their roof to leak, and they also lost electricity. I don't consider that to be "cozy"

The news and posters all seem to be very concerned about this hurricane, and obviously several people have sadly already lost their lives. I don't want to sound uncaring, but am genuinely wondering - why is it SO serious when it's only a Cat 1 storm? Is it because its path is expected to cover heavily populated regions? I am confused as we had a Cat 5 (Cyclone Yasi) in Queensland this year, and while there was damage, there was only 1 death - and that was indirectly due to the cyclone (a man died from generator fumes because he used it in an unsuitable location) - although there may have been a certain amount of luck in that as the authorities were braced for more casualties. Why does Irene appear to be so much more deadly when it is so much less powerful?

I can relate to the stress of possibly missing a cruise. We almost missed our cruise due to a snowstorm in NY last year. However, that doesn't compare to the stress we have gone through the past few days with Irene and not knowing how our house will fare. Luckily, so far, so good, but we still have a ways to go here. wishing everyone in Irene's path and those affected are staying safe!

The news and posters all seem to be very concerned about this hurricane, and obviously several people have sadly already lost their lives. I don't want to sound uncaring, but am genuinely wondering - why is it SO serious when it's only a Cat 1 storm? Is it because its path is expected to cover heavily populated regions? I am confused as we had a Cat 5 (Cyclone Yasi) in Queensland this year, and while there was damage, there was only 1 death - and that was indirectly due to the cyclone (a man died from generator fumes because he used it in an unsuitable location) - although there may have been a certain amount of luck in that as the authorities were braced for more casualties. Why does Irene appear to be so much more deadly when it is so much less powerful?

Yes, it is heavily populated as well as a lot of low lying land. There are many rivers and canals as well as the Atlantic Ocean and Long Island Sound surrounding us. In addition to flooding, we have very serious concerns of trees crushing homes. Battery Park City, with views of the Statue of Liberty is only 7 feet above sea level.

Thanks for your concern. The primary reason it is so serious is the location. A huge portion of our population is being hit by Irene. Although the winds are not indicative of a major hurricane, they are hitting an area that has been soaked by rain for the last month. The ground is completely saturated, the root balls on the trees have no holding power and trees are falling everywhere. We currently have 3 million without electricity and are being told it could be a week or longer before it is restored. As far as wind damage, it will not be a major storm the likes of others that have hit. But as far as affecting the lives of 80-90 million people it is a big event. A lot of flooding that will wipe out the savings of lots of people who do not have flood insurance. Hope this helps your understanding.

Good question. She has only been a 1 due to the "Meteoroligcal"

way they grade hurricanes. Winds..the winds are how they determine

what category they are (many folks don't agree with that way) but

it is the way they do it. They is "Nooa" The National Oceanic

Atmospheric Adminstration. Here is a link:

http://www.noaawatch.gov/2011/tc_at09.php

This hurricane has been massive in size (diameter)....they said she

was larger than the continent of Europe and as she rolled up the east

coast her winds stayed about 74 mph....that is a cat 1....if they had

gone up over 75 it would have gone to a cat 2.....they have the winds

representing what category the storm is....might not make a lot of

sense because of what we are seeing. Some hurricanes bring more

wind, some bring more rain, some bring both.......but there are wind

GUSTS that exceed that.....it is very confusing even for those of

us who live in hurricane country.....

There is a forum on here for "Hurricane season 2011" if you want

to read more about it over there too.

Sitting home getting cozy? I have friends and relatives on the Jersey shore. Their homes and businesses are getting physically and financially devastated. Lives have been lost. Millions of dollars of damages are being done and it will take a long time to recover...some never will. And we are supposed to worry about some people driving in the storm or finding a hotel or missing out on a cruise?

If one has the money to be able to cruise, their life is pretty darn good. Missing a cruise or being out money (that should be recuperable through insurance) is merely a bummer, not a life changing catastrophe.

Sheesh.

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

From watching the Today Show this morning, it appears that things are hitting the NY/NJ areas pretty hard, but that direct hurricane damage is not as huge as feared. The NJ Governor was on the air with reports from State Police helicopters doing fly-overs within the past hour. The big challenging is flooding, high water, impacts on utilities/infrastructure, etc. Hope Carole Lee and all others are surviving. It is really strange to hear about the subways closed, no Broadway shows, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now over 36,000 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

The storm may be only a cat 1 but the combination of timing at high tide and the geography intensify the damage. The surge of sea water is pushed inland into bays and estuaries which are surrounded by low-lying land. Due to previous heavy rains, much of the surrounding soils are already saturated. This weakens tree roots, puts pressure in homes' basements and foundations etc. Cat 1 refers to wind speeds, but not the quantity and duration of the rain.

Hi Terry, yes, NY and NJ are getting a major pounding today. The low

lieing areas are now being flooded. I have been following the news too

and (example) apartments that are low are now being flooded...

The Hudson River has now exceeded its banks and the water is now

flowing into the streets. The Governor of NJ should be glad they did

not get a direct hit but as of the 8am advisory she is still a cat 1.:eek:

Now as of 9am they are saying she landed as "a tropical storm"

on Coney Island but now the folks out on Long Isand are saying the

winds feel worse:eek:. Makes no sense...looks like major wind gusts

to me and she is still going up further north. It is not over yet.

Be safe everyone.

I see Irene was just down graded to TS but is dumping massive amounts of rain. Major flooding in low areas affecting thousands of homes and businesses.

For those of you wondering how it could be so bad because the wind is not blowing over a certain mph, you should be here.

Now as of 9am they are saying she landed as "a tropical storm"

on Coney Island but now the folks out on Long Isand are saying the

winds feel worse:eek:. Makes no sense...looks like major wind gusts

to me and she is still going up further north. It is not over yet.

Be safe everyone.

Just spoke to mother in lawn gravesend section of broklyn about a mile from coney island high winds and rain but still has power which is good as she is 92 lives on 7th floor of apt building and can see the parachute jump at coney island heavy fog

Many thanks to everyone for their thoughts

By us in west Hester county most roads are closed many trees blocking roads bringing down powerco

Power lines

News now showing that south street seaport in manhattan is flooding but stingily the sun came out as it floods

More later

Carole

4:30 pm -- mid Nassau County, NY -- getting back end of Irene -- gusts of wind and some rain, but nothing like during the night. A lot of folks lost electricity and will be out for a quite a while. Trees down and flooding in area due to low lying and overflooded ponds. South (Long Beach) hard hit and North (Port Washington) also hit. Vicki:)

4:30 pm -- mid Nassau County, NY -- getting back end of Irene -- gusts of wind and some rain, but nothing like during the night. A lot of folks lost electricity and will be out for a quite a while. Trees down and flooding in area due to low lying and overflooded ponds. South (Long Beach) hard hit and North (Port Washington) also hit. Vicki:)

6:21 p update from Westchester Computers back up. We did not lose pwer or water but all around us fallen trees, branches & flooded roads. Heavy wind gust news reports 58 mph by JFK. Dh has business meeting in NYC in the am @ this point roads are closed so it should be interesting.

Many thanks to everyone for thewir good wishes. To everyone in the track of Irene, be safe and very careful in cleaning up watch out for power lines & be careful lifting debris.

Carole

Wow, I feel for them have family in Toronto and on a good day its a long drive- & I'm closer (in NY) than NJ. Tell them to be careful many of the bridges and roads are closed.

So the most direct route many not exsist. Once they are on board (& safe) let the board know I think we all will join in a cyber toats to a good trip.

Carole

Wow, I feel for them have family in Toronto and on a good day its a long drive- & I'm closer (in NY) than NJ. Tell them to be careful many of the bridges and roads are closed.

So the most direct route many not exsist. Once they are on board (& safe) let the board know I think we all will join in a cyber toats to a good trip.

Carole

Carole, I can see that you are really a Class One person. Here you are in the middle of this storm, (where, by the way, some have died, and many have lost lots) and you still have concern and kind comments for that person who can only think about her sister making it to their cruise. I love cruises and was on a cruise that left from Santiago, Chili a few days after the big earthquake. We were delayed, only 400 of us made it to Chili to get the ship but let me tell you, we were feeling guilty when so many had lost so much. People need to have perspective. What is really important. What was great was that so many on the ship helped those who had lost their homes, etc. I do hope those people make their ship but PLEASE, can't she still have some sympathy for those going through this storm. I don't think you or the others were feeling very cozy. It can be very scarey as I have also been in a bad hurricane many years ago. (matter of fact, I lost a baby during the hurricane - premature birth that night). Carole, very happy to hear that you are safe. Best wishes to you (a very fine lady).

you're so right Barjolov,

this has been a trying time for so many, here in Montreal, so far from the coast, we are feeling the effects of Irene, a tree fell a few inches from my neighbor's window where her newborn was sleeping, all are well, thankfully!

Stay safe everyone!

Jo.

6:21 p update from Westchester Computers back up. We did not lose pwer or water but all around us fallen trees, branches & flooded roads. Heavy wind gust news reports 58 mph by JFK. Dh has business meeting in NYC in the am @ this point roads are closed so it should be interesting.

Many thanks to everyone for thewir good wishes. To everyone in the track of Irene, be safe and very careful in cleaning up watch out for power lines & be careful lifting debris.

Carole

We are in the Long Beach area where evacuation was mandatory .Our initial thought was to go to friends or relatives in Hartsdale but we did not want to be that far away and instead stayed with friends in East Meadow .We just came home and have minimal damage to our house .However ,the wind is blowing at a higher speed than last night.

Not in New York, but in Maryland we have been without power since midnight last night. Our neighborhood is usually the last to have power restored, we are small, so we do not expect it back for several days. However, many of us have generators and are sharing with neighbors who do not. Something about a storm like this brings out the best in most people. Kind of renews my faith in human beings.

Anne

Carole, I can see that you are really a Class One person. Here you are in the middle of this storm, (where, by the way, some have died, and many have lost lots) and you still have concern and kind comments for that person who can only think about her sister making it to their cruise. I love cruises and was on a cruise that left from Santiago, Chili a few days after the big earthquake. We were delayed, only 400 of us made it to Chili to get the ship but let me tell you, we were feeling guilty when so many had lost so much. People need to have perspective. What is really important. What was great was that so many on the ship helped those who had lost their homes, etc. I do hope those people make their ship but PLEASE, can't she still have some sympathy for those going through this storm. I don't think you or the others were feeling very cozy. It can be very scarey as I have also been in a bad hurricane many years ago. (matter of fact, I lost a baby during the hurricane - premature birth that night). Carole, very happy to hear that you are safe. Best wishes to you (a very fine lady).

Thank you for the above. I think that the reason we are all on this board is that we love cruising & all the wonderful details that make up a cruise. We want to help/advise others so that they can also have a great time. I started the thread because I know that many of us have friends/family in the storm track & sometimes an on the ground reporter is more helpful than the TV networks re your/their area. Right now (9am NY) the Sun is out and the air is clear. My deck is almost dry so by this afternoon I can move the bar b que out of my living room ( as it clashes with my furniture :) ). Let's all be glad that we made it through the storm.

And to everyone out there pls excuse my bad typing.

Carole

Archived