Carnival or NCL -- 2yr-old

DiploTraveler

As far as I can tell, Carnival, NCL and Cunard are the only cruise lines with activities for 2-yr-olds. I'd like to plan a vacation for Fall 2012, but need help deciding between the lines. The wife and I aren't terribly interested in Cunard, so we want to pick from Carnival and NCL.

Carnival has the Pride that leaves from Baltimore (within driving distance), but I am cautious because of all the bad things I hear about the line. Also, it seems that they charge full fare for 3rd passenger.

Have you cruised with both? Do you prefer one over the other? If you don't mind, please talk to the kids activities as well as the adult enjoyment.

Thanks!

I don't have anything helpful to contribute (sorry!) but I'm curious to read replies as we're also looking at traveling with a 2yo and would love to hear feedback re: children's programs.

Different people prefer different lines, but for the most part I find them all close enough that I would base the decision more on itinerary and price. One does change diapers and the other gives you a beeper so you can come do it (I don't remember which is which, but someone here will know).

Different specific cruises will have different pricing for the 3rd person, so the best thing to do is to price out anything you're considering to see what the total cost is and not worry as much about what the specific 3rd person fare is. 3rd person fares on both lines can be a fraction of the base fare, or can be almost the same depending on the time of year, itinerary, etc.

Best,

Mia

Different people prefer different lines' date=' but for the most part I find them all close enough that I would base the decision more on itinerary and price. One does change diapers and the other gives you a beeper so you can come do it (I don't remember which is which, but someone here will know).

[/quote']

Carnival is the one that will change diapers. NCL will give you a pager for when the diaper needs changing, which means you can't leave the ship.

I would choose based on itinerary - double check the times in ports - and total price.

My kids are older as they are now teenagers. I have been on Carnival (last in 2008, Miracle) and I have been on 9 NCL. We returned to cruising when our youngest was 5.

I love NCL because we can eat based on what we are doing. We can eat early, late, dressy, casual, or buffet. We can even just get a pizza. This works very well for us and that is one of the reasons we keep going back to NCL. The other is the suites for our family of 4. They are amazing and the perks make cruising with NCL relaxing and stress free. The butler can deliver a nice hot breakfast or dinner from any restaurant to the suite. My wife and I have also been able to have dinner for two while the kids (fed earlier at the buffet or Blue Lagoon) were at the Kid's Club.

I used to love dining on RCCL and Cunard. This was before kids. My kids are well behaved and like to eat out. They have enjoyed eating at the many restaurants on NCL. They also loved their Carnival cruise but dinner was torture for all of us. We never were able to get out before the second seating was trying to get in. This means that all of our dinners were over 2 hours long because of the slow service. I could never imagine that my kids at age 2 or 3 would be able to handle it. It has not happened on any of our NCL cruises.

We cruised with our DS 5 or 6 times the year he was two (He's 4 now). Carnival was our line of choice during those days. We wanted a bit of adult time, did not want to be paged to change an diaper, and we had used their babysitting service when he was under two and were impressed with the quality of care for those under two. They draw back is that they close an hour for lunch and for a couple hours before dinner.

We cruised on NCL this summer with him at 4. IMHO, the greatest thing NCL has over Carnival in the area of the kids club is that their kids club doesn't close for two hours here or there. They are open from 9am -1am. This made it much more convenient for us to choose what time of day we used the kids club.

So I would say that it depends on you and your child's schedule. We tend to stay up late, get up late, eat late ect. So the traditional hours of Carnival were less appealing to us than being able to choose the hours you want your child in the kids club, however, they always won out since they changed diapers during port days and let us explore the port on our own. Make a list of your priorities and go from there.

So the traditional hours of Carnival were less appealing to us than being able to choose the hours you want your child in the kids club, however, they always won out since they changed diapers during port days and let us explore the port on our own. Make a list of your priorities and go from there.

So, Carnival's kids' activities are open on port days? NCL only provides for-fee babysitting on port days... hmm.

So, Carnival's kids' activities are open on port days? NCL only provides for-fee babysitting on port days... hmm.

Yes, that's true. Paying $6 an hour for a limited amount of hours wasn't a deal breaker for us because in the big picture of the cost of the cruise it would only make a small difference. The dealer breaker for us was that is if your 2 year old isn't completely self sufficient in the potty, then you can't leave the ship. Please no flaming about leaving a two year on the ship, that's not the point of this thread.

If your little one is already potty trained, then it's no biggie. However, IMHO, I wouldn't book a cruise and count on child care unless my guy could articulate well in advance of having to go, dress himself and wash himself. In our case, our DS was almost three and a half before I was comfortable with him doing all of the above with strangers.

We are cruising in Feb 2012, about a week after my little guy turns 2. The timing is not a coincidence. ;)

We considered Carnival and NCL for the same reasons as you, but in the end we booked on Carnival. I just didn't like the idea of being paged to change a diaper. Especially considering that I do expect some tears when I drop him off at first, and returning to change his diaper is just going to make it that much harder on him, you know? We have cruised Carnival in the past and have always been very happy with the line. It wouldn't be my top pick if it was just me and DH, but it's very family friendly.

My family took the Pride two days after my son turned two. It turned out to be a great decision. The staff were great and they change diapers!!! He got his face painted and although the youngest child in the camp, was incorporated into activities. The bar staff gave him lots of cherries. We had some time to be adults. It was safe and he had a lot of fun. While in Nassau, we went to Ardastra where he saw the marching flamingoes). We were also able to leave him on board ship for a couple of hours while we went window shopping. He has been in day care since he was three months old, so being left with "strangers" didn't phase him at all.

The phone you receive from Camp Carnival comes in real handy...He escaped from us...(snuck into an elevator while my head was turned for 5 seconds...no comments please), was located by a Camp Staffer (eating lunch on the Lido deck on break) who recognized him, took him to the camp whereupon they called us on the cell phone; thereby ending the longest 5 minutes of my life.

Irrespective of which line you decide to take him on, do get him a passport. Aside from the other benefits (ease of travel etc. he can see it get stamped in port; a priceless souvenoir).

Your waiter will speed service if he sees you with a two year old. Our service got progressively faster throughout the week.

BTW, we're taking the Pride again in November to Bermuda.

My family took the Pride two days after my son turned two. It turned out to be a great decision. The staff were great and they change diapers!!! He got his face painted and although the youngest child in the camp, was incorporated into activities. The bar staff gave him lots of cherries. We had some time to be adults. It was safe and he had a lot of fun. While in Nassau, we went to Ardastra where he saw the marching flamingoes). We were also able to leave him on board ship for a couple of hours while we went window shopping. He has been in day care since he was three months old, so being left with "strangers" didn't phase him at all.

The phone you receive from Camp Carnival comes in real handy...He escaped from us...(snuck into an elevator while my head was turned for 5 seconds...no comments please), was located by a Camp Staffer (eating lunch on the Lido deck on break) who recognized him, took him to the camp whereupon they called us on the cell phone; thereby ending the longest 5 minutes of my life.

Irrespective of which line you decide to take him on, do get him a passport. Aside from the other benefits (ease of travel etc. he can see it get stamped in port; a priceless souvenoir).

Your waiter will speed service if he sees you with a two year old. Our service got progressively faster throughout the week.

BTW, we're taking the Pride again in November to Bermuda.

Thanks for sharing your story. How did you like the Pride? That's the ship we're considering since we live within driving distance (NoVA).

I think the Pride was an okay ship. Was it the lap of luxury? No. Did it have every bell and whistle known to man? No. But the staff was nice, especially to the youngster. The comedy shows were funny. The drinks were plenty strong, and it was for the most part, a week away from reality. The duty free prices on alcohol on board were competitive, but the selection was kind of weak. Before child, we traveled on a humongous RCI ship out of San Juan. It overwhelmed me. Personally, I like smaller ships, but that's me.

One of the interesting things about the Pride was the MDR. I was expecting everything to be large tables, but we had a table for 3. While it meant that we didn't meet all that many people on board ship, it did make dinner a lot easier for us. Two year olds and strange old people don't mix all that well.

It was really nice not having to fly. It was nice being able to take 8 bags (remember this included diapers, juice boxes, strollers etc.) without having to worry about airline baggage fees. I live in MoCo, and it was only an hour away. We traveled the first week of December, so it was plenty cold, but there was plenty to do on the ship, and for $439/person and $279 for the 3rd person who at the time still slept in a crib, the price couldn't be beat. The ship didn't shake despite the terrible weather on the way down from Baltimore. I had a mini-college reunion with a Bahamian flatmate I hadn't seen in nearly 20 years. That was really nice.

This time we're going to Bermuda which promises to be a very different experience. An almost 3 year old is very different than a barely two year old. Bermuda is very different from the Caribbean. That said, my ex-boss with whom I am on good terms is originally from Hamilton so at least I have leads on where to go.

We took our 2 1/2 year old daughter on the Ecstasy last year. I gave Camp Carnival a letter, with a picture of her, some basic information (likes, dislikes, etc), which room we were in and that we mom and dad were frequent cruisers. I had two staffers compliment me on the letter. They thought it was super cool. I explained about the potty training and packed extra clothes in her backpack. I think she maybe had 2 accidents in there, but one was very minor. They never complained about it. We spent a lot of time in the room during "open time" they during the sail day so she could be familiar with the area and know where to go potty. She did AMAZING!! We went to dinner every night in the dining hall. We were seated with another family. Their son was a little older. It was such a great experience!

We booked the Magic on its first sailing out of Galveston. She is 4 now. I know she will have a great time! We book a room on the same deck as camp carnival just so we can be closer to the action.

I think Carnival does a great job with kids! just wish the stayed open like NCL!!!!

Does the kids club open up at night after leaving a port on NCL. When in port if you wanted a few hours of pool time to yourself, where do they offer paid babysitters in cabin or in kids club? Is there anytime you can go in with your child to play with the toys?

Thanks for sharing... sounds great!

BTW, what did you mean by the comment I quoted? I thought it was NCL that closes the kid's area on port days.

I was able to leave my girls (over 2 years old) in the NCL kid club while we went into port. We had to pay by the hour (and even a part of an hour was charged the full hour), but it was open.

Best,

Mia

I no longer cruise Carnival. Too many issues in past sailings. NCL has the youngest fleet in the business. Their kids club for 2 year olds can not be beat. If you can cruise EPIC, Pearl, Gem, Jade I highly recommend. No Carnival ship can touch these vessels for the toddler kids club or entertainment. By the way, you hear the Carnival Loyalists always point out about the diaper change policy. Seriously, do you want some strange person you have never met changing your kids diaper? For me it really has never been an issue as I do not leave my child for more than 2 hours in a row in kids clubs EVER.

I no longer cruise Carnival. Too many issues in past sailings. NCL has the youngest fleet in the business. Their kids club for 2 year olds can not be beat. If you can cruise EPIC, Pearl, Gem, Jade I highly recommend. No Carnival ship can touch these vessels for the toddler kids club or entertainment. By the way, you hear the Carnival Loyalists always point out about the diaper change policy. Seriously, do you want some strange person you have never met changing your kids diaper? For me it really has never been an issue as I do not leave my child for more than 2 hours in a row in kids clubs EVER.

My biggest concern with NCL is that the kids center is fee-based on port days. Maybe it's not a big deal since I should probably be taking my son with us to see the sights anyway? I could always pick a cruise with a lot of sea days...

My biggest concern with NCL is that the kids center is fee-based on port days. Maybe it's not a big deal since I should probably be taking my son with us to see the sights anyway? I could always pick a cruise with a lot of sea days...

I have never use the service while in port because we always leave the ship as a family. I would never leave my child onboard without a family member because there are just too many things that can happen while you are away from the ship and the thought of being seperated is well, just a not a good thought to have to worry about on vacation. In the scheme of things if you had to pay 12 bucks for two hours that really isnt some crazy extra spend. Just buy only one drink of the day instead of two lol.......

I have never use the service while in port because we always leave the ship as a family. I would never leave my child onboard without a family member because there are just too many things that can happen while you are away from the ship and the thought of being seperated is well, just a not a good thought to have to worry about on vacation. In the scheme of things if you had to pay 12 bucks for two hours that really isnt some crazy extra spend. Just buy only one drink of the day instead of two lol.......

Here is my problem with the charge - I am in Bermuda for 3 days. I have 2 kids. I am not going to leave the ship without them. But lets say we are on the ship while the ship is in port (we are there for 3 days) and the kids want to go to the kids club (they always want to go to the kids club) - then I paying for them to go to the kids club when I don't usually have to pay for them (on other lines)

This is my problem with the port play charges. I think NCL should do away with the charges. And I have addressed it with NCL because I think its ridiculous that parents should pick a cruise other than NCL just because of port play charges.

So that's my 2 cents. :D If I don't believe it something, then I try to change the system. ;)

Here is my problem with the charge - I am in Bermuda for 3 days. I have 2 kids. I am not going to leave the ship without them. But lets say we are on the ship while the ship is in port (we are there for 3 days) and the kids want to go to the kids club (they always want to go to the kids club) - then I paying for them to go to the kids club when I don't usually have to pay for them (on other lines)

This is my problem with the port play charges. I think NCL should do away with the charges. And I have addressed it with NCL because I think its ridiculous that parents should pick a cruise other than NCL just because of port play charges.

So that's my 2 cents. :D If I don't believe it something, then I try to change the system. ;)

I agree and to tell you the truth I did not even know these charges existed until reading this thread. As far as charges go, I am still having a hard time getting over the entry qualifications all the lines have (except Carnival and NCL) of the potty trained and under 3 year old group to be allowed into kids clubs. I think I am going to jump on a 2 day Pearl out of Miami next month. I will be sure and write something on the comment card concerning this issue.

Archived