Formal Night on the Gem?

dmp203

Hi All,

I am hoping someone can tell me when formal night is on the Gem. I just saw another cc post in this forum wtih the dailies. The ship departs Sunday, and typically formal night is Monday. I don't, however, see anything about that in the daily. So I checked Tuesday and didn't see anything either. Have they done away with it?

I ask because I want to make sure the whole family (all 15 of us) get our photos done when we're dressed up. And instead of scrambling to communicate the where and when of things when we get on the ship, I'd really just like to put it on our schedule now (so I can relax too!)

Thanks for any info,

Dawn

Hi All,

I am hoping someone can tell me when formal night is on the Gem. I just saw another cc post in this forum wtih the dailies. The ship departs Sunday, and typically formal night is Monday. I don't, however, see anything about that in the daily. So I checked Tuesday and didn't see anything either. Have they done away with it?

I ask because I want to make sure the whole family (all 15 of us) get our photos done when we're dressed up. And instead of scrambling to communicate the where and when of things when we get on the ship, I'd really just like to put it on our schedule now (so I can relax too!)

Thanks for any info,

Dawn

That's really great that Your Entire party will be taking pictures! I have never traveled in a large group but that would be something i'd want to do...

Depends on what sailing your on! We're on the 10/30 sailing and that week i'm told it's moved to the second Sea Day-Evening to accomodate 10/31!:eek::eek::D

Bill(DrFootball)

("You WANT the TRUTH? YOU can't HANDLE the TRUTH"

Bill's Brainiac Random Quote Generator V0.95 final(really!) beta for Mac

We small-percentagers know we are not correct when we persist in calling it formal night now and then. That does not make us bad people.

I wasn't suggesting you were bad people.;)

I mentioned there hasn't been a "formal night" on NCL for years, because the OP may very well be looking in the Freestyle Daily for the "formal night" and wondering why he can't find it, when really he needs to look for the "dress up or not" night.

I also didn't want him to be shocked when he finds out that...on most itineraries...only a very small percentage of passengers dress formally.

We small-percentagers know we are not correct when we persist in calling it formal night now and then. That does not make us bad people.

Wow...I couldn't find the post where someone labeled you "bad people". Was that here, or on another thread? :confused:

Anyway...something you "small-percentagers" might be able to clear up: Could you please explain the difference in the dress code on the nights you call "formal" vs. the other nights of the cruise? Is a passenger allowed to wear formal wear on a non-formal wear night?

Wow...I couldn't find the post where someone labeled you "bad people". Was that here, or on another thread? :confused:

Anyway...something you "small-percentagers" might be able to clear up: Could you please explain the difference in the dress code on the nights you call "formal" vs. the other nights of the cruise? Is a passenger allowed to wear formal wear on a non-formal wear night?

The comment was directed at something I wrote, and I in no way took offense...so you shouldn't either.

The comment was directed at something I wrote, and I in no way took offense...so you shouldn't either.

How could you tell it was directed at you since you weren't quoted?

Besides...who ever said I took offense? I certainly never did.

Seems to be a lot of trying to put words in the mouths of others here...:rolleyes:

How could you tell it was directed at you since you weren't quoted?

Besides...who ever said I took offense? I certainly never did.

Seems to be a lot of trying to put words in the mouths of others here...:rolleyes:

Read the thread carefully... it could only have been directed at me because I was the person who used the term "small percentage". The only other reply to the OP's question not only didn't use those words, it made no mention at all of how many people actually dress formally.

Why would you make your comment if you either weren't offended by it or weren't looking to stir the sauce for no productive reason.

Used "bad people" to be funny. Joke evidently missed. Of course we small-percentagers are able to dress up any night we feel a little spiffy and sparky, maybe even snarky. I think I might tux up next cruise for white-hot party.

Used "bad people" to be funny. Joke evidently missed. Of course we small-percentagers are able to dress up any night we feel a little spiffy and sparky, maybe even snarky. I think I might tux up next cruise for white-hot party.

Go for it!

Gotta love FREESTYLE.

Read the thread carefully... it could only have been directed at me because I was the person who used the term "small percentage". The only other reply to the OP's question not only didn't use those words, it made no mention at all of how many people actually dress formally.

Why would you make your comment if you either weren't offended by it or weren't looking to stir the sauce for no productive reason.

Nope...sorry, I don't see how you stating that a small percentage of people dress up could possibly be taken as being equal to saying someone is a bad person. And, by reading their response, the person who made the comment didn't either.

And, as for what I said, maybe YOU should read the thread carefully. I didn't make a comment, I asked questions. (The dead giveaway is the "?" at the end of the sentence). And even if they were comments instead of questions, it doesn't mean someone is "offended" just because they make a comment. Besides...the questions were directed toward a specific posting (as is told by the fact that it was quoted), not to you...so perhaps the best thing would have been for you to not step in where you weren't asked.

What a shame that such a usually cheerful and polite board has taken on such an argumentative tone; must be the stress of hurricane Irene.

I, for one, am slightly disappointed that more people don't dress up for formal night. {yes, I said it- the F word- Formal} I don't care what NCL calls it these days. It's one of the highlights for me, as how often do my husband and I get to dress up in our normal, everyday lives. Not often enough. And yes, I probably will dress up every night, and probably sit right next to someone with jeans on. That's part of what freestyle cruising is all about.

Either way, it's wonderful!

Hi All,

Thanks for any info,

Dawn

OP,

To make scheduling easier for you and your group, PICK A NIGHT, ANY NIGHT! On NCL you can choose when/where/what you wear, so if you think a sea day is the best bet for your group go for it. If you are not planning on doing an excursion at one of the ports choose that day. The photogs have formal backgrounds every evening, set up ALL over the ship and you can even talk to the photo studio people and ask where they will be set up on the evening that you choose to be YOUR formal night.

Have a wonderful time!

Advice: pick a night other that dress-up or don't for the group photo. On d-u-o-d night, most of us small-percenters show up in dude duds and cause long lines at the more popular posing points such as the grand staircases in the atria. On one cruise we had to wait nearly half an hour while the favorite photog posed, reposed and posed again an extended oriental family of 20 people in at least three generations. It was fun to watch but due cause for miff.

I didn't miss the joke...but someone else certainly did.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for your thoughts. I guess the dreaded "F" word (formal) is a carryover from when I first started cruising...

I am going to do just that -- do it for an evening we are all available and hope for the best. I may even speak with the photogs on board to see if they can't come to our room to do a group picture (or have us meet somewhere). That may be something I check with the Concierge on.

Thanks again for your input!

Hi All,

Thanks for any info,

Dawn

THIS IS A EMAIL I GOT FROM NCL ABOUT PICTURES,

Norwegian Cruise Line is proud to announce that custom tailored photography sessions from Perspectives Photography Studio are now available during your cruise*. Offering a more personal experience than our traditional portrait photography, our highly talented and professional photographers will help create the perfect moments that you will cherish for a lifetime.

PERSPECTIVES PHOTOGRAPHY STUDIO OFFERS:

• In the Studio • On location

Senior Portraits • Weddings • Special Occasions

For more information or to schedule your personalized session:perspectives_ncl_btn.gif

While on board visit the Perspectives Photography Studio or call 7970.spacer.gifspacer.gifperspectives_ncl_blogo_1.gifperspectives_ncl_bnav_02_01_1.gif

* Only available on Norwegian Gem & Norwegian Jewel.

We hope you enjoyed this email from:

Norwegian Cruise Line | 7665 Corporate Center Drive | Miami, FL 33126 | 800.327.7030 | ncl.com

Add NorwegianCruiseLine@email.ncl.com to your address book.

PERSPHOTO Look on the NCL site to Have what night all of you want to do your Great Photo take!DRESS UP WHEN YOU WANT AND DRESS DOWN WHEN YOU WANT, IT'S YOUR VACATION, IT'S SO MUCH FUN TO FEEL PRETTY OR HANDSOM!

@dmp203 -

Hi, Dawn, do you see what you created here with your question?

While all these bristly missives were going back and forth, referring to you, the OP (original poster), nobody bothered to read your post thoroughly. Had they done so, they would have noticed that you, Dawn, probably are a 'she' instead of a 'he'.

OK, kids, back to the sand box. And play nice this time!

Juergen (and Helen)

Via Tapatalk & iPod touch.

Thanks all for your thoughts. I guess the dreaded "F" word (formal) is a carryover from when I first started cruising...

I am going to do just that -- do it for an evening we are all available and hope for the best. I may even speak with the photogs on board to see if they can't come to our room to do a group picture (or have us meet somewhere). That may be something I check with the Concierge on.

Thanks again for your input!

Most of my cruises have been with large family and friend groups. (we had 18 on the POA last year for example.) We always get a group photo on our cruises. We also always select a night OTHER than the "dress up or not" night for our group picture and the reason is simple:

Everyone who dresses up on DUONN (Dress up or not Night), wants a formal picture on that night and the line is very long. Since you can dress up any night, pick another night and the line for pictures will be much shorter and because of that we have found that most Photographers (except on the Dawn cruise when the photographers were the absolute worst and most unprofessional I have ever met), were willing to work with you and spend more time with you because they didn't have a line.

i love dress up or not nights

last year i made my son dress up for one night so i could get one nice picture of the three of us

my DD and I dressed up in pretty sundresses and such and had our pics taken everytime..it was fun

this year i now have to force the two men in my family to 'DUON'

Just to add to the mix, DH and I have been real fans of dress-up or formal night but now, not having to pay the airline for the extra garment bag with the tux and the gown is a real draw. We've taken enough pics and don't want to pay for those either! (We're saving our pennies for specialty restaurants and that next cruise, with one day a suite!)

Hi Dawn, the Gem will have photography options available most nights throughout the ship as previously mentioned. They are set up in the public areas with different backdrops. While sailing on the Gem in August, I happened by the perspectives studio which is a large room specifically for photos. This is new and definitely something to look into. They can digitally add things to your backdrop and other cool things! I think the best conclusion from all the answers here is that there is no need to worry about having that special photo for your group! Perspectives studio was open during the day as well, from what I remember. Have a wonderful cruise,

coka

GEEZE!! Some people ars so sensitive. This is why I always hesitate to post on NCL. Everytime I have posted something on NCL someone always is offensive or offended. I have never had this problem on RCCL boards. Only reason we are sailing on NCL is we didn't get to pick. It's a gift from children for anniversary. I hope the passengers on our cruise have at least some sense of humor.

Archived