Airline security question re: liquids

CUTTERSAM

If I recall from my two times abroad in the last few years, you'll need to go back thru U.S. TSA screening coming back into the states on your flight, (after exiting customs) anyway, so it would be a moot point.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though!

ETA: I also recall there being a restriction at DaVinci airport when I was there in Oct., 2010.

Depends on the country, seriously. Germany is following the TSA rules about 100 ml liquids.

Had no problem flying from Spain with anything back to Germany.

Why don't you want to pack it? Buy a couple of ziplock bags, they do have them in Europe and wrap it with clothes. Safer checked than sorry.

London was following the same rules as we do although maybe not as strictly. Paris was unbelievably strict. Remember, all these restrictions started because of a terrorist in London with something in their liquids.

You can carry on anything you purchase once you go thru security if you buy olive oil in the airport.

Plan to pack anything over 3.4 oz. I know, it is a pain in the ASS, but until they loosen their stupid rules we are stuck. BTW, I am not putting down the TSA, I know they are just trying to keep us as safe as possible, but I think it has gone a little overboard.

Nita

If I recall from my two times abroad in the last few years, you'll need to go back thru U.S. TSA screening coming back into the states on your flight, (after exiting customs) anyway, so it would be a moot point.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though!

ETA: I also recall there being a restriction at DaVinci airport when I was there in Oct., 2010.

Only if you are connecting to another flight in the U.S.A. then of course you will have to go through U.S. screening and any bottles will be confiscated if not the allowable limit. (Saw many people upset at Dulles because they had given up their bags after customs to be re-checked and still had airport bags of duty free alcohol in their hands. You should have seen that garbage can at the security checkpoint!)

If you land from your international flight at your final destination you won't have to go through TSA checks again.

Depends on the country, seriously. Germany is following the TSA rules about 100 ml liquids.

Had no problem flying from Spain with anything back to Germany.

Why don't you want to pack it? Buy a couple of ziplock bags, they do have them in Europe and wrap it with clothes. Safer checked than sorry.

Other way around. The TSA adopted the UK's (and then rest of Europe's) rules about 100mL. That's why it's a metric measurement, it didn't start in the USA. The rules were put in effect as they discovered and prevented the 2006 transatlantic aircraft plot. The plot was to sneak aboard explosives as liquids, as successfully tested on Philippine Airlines 434

Any flight into the US must comply with TSA and FAA regulations, even if the flight and/or passenger does not continue beyond the first landing point. So the 3.4 oz rule will apply to your Europe-US flight.

Honestly I would pack it. That's what I did with the bottles of wine we bought and the bottle of olive oil. I just wrapped it in plastic and surrounded it with clothes. Plus, everywhere we purchased anything breakable they had bubble wrapped or quadruple wrapped it for shipping, so I also put that around bottles with clothes in between (socks, underwear etc.).

We did not have any problems leaving Europe (Rome specifically). However, once in the US and going back through security at Pilly my daughter had to leave her 4 oz. jar of face cleanser that she had packed in the carry-on. And my mother-in-law lost her bottle of water she bought at the Rome airport (she tried to argue about it but no good and I had to end up buying her another to keep her quiet and moving).

I know flying in and from US' date=' 3 oz liquids in quart ziploc. What about out of Europe? I want to bring back some olive oil but want to carry it rather than pack.

Thanks in advance[/quote']

It is the same rule in Europe. 3.4 oz or less for liquids in a 1 quart bag. You will have to check a bottle of olive oil.

Archived