A Silverseas cruiser seeking opinions

Mayriver

Following many voyages on Silverseas, we have booked on Seabourn for a 30 day itinerary in 2012. Based on the accolades on this site and others, I have no doubt that Seabourn will not disappoint, but what I am really interested in is to seek out the opinions of those who know both lines, and get their views of how they differ. The Silverseas crowd are a rabid bunch, despite a noticeable decline in quality in recent years. Are there experienced cruisers out there who can relate to what I saying? If so, why have you chosen Seabourn over Silverseas? Thx

1) The switch to a Filapino majority crew.

2) Not solving food shortages when the ship is parked nearby a farmers market in Canada.

I believe many long time sailors with both companies are disenchanted with today's product. Both have reduced drinkable included wine, but SS did not have a chardonay to pour for four (sea) days on our last cruise.

After a year long break from SS, we have one booked for 4th quarter and one for 1st quarter 2012. During same period we will do 40 days on Quest.

I do miss sailing with the good SS passengers.

Seven years ago I remember my first Silversea cruise. I was so excited everything was new to me and it was fantastic. Over the years I accumulated many nights and then started to notice changes and just get bored. Silversea is just not what they once were.

The food took a turn for the boring...the lunchtime la veranda restaurant had terrible food on the Wind and the Cloud. The main dining room was good and the Italian specialty we always found lacking. We saw cutbacks in alcohol and what they were stocking and then they brought out the ridiculous Indian Butlers....That was just terrible. We also noticed service decline heavily throughout the ships over the years. Like it was all show and no substance.

Then the Silver Spirit came out....Silversea cleaned house of everyone who worked on this ship....really terrible in design on so many levels. Temperature controls not working, hot dining rooms, water all over the decks all the time and a poor flow of people throughout the ship. Silversea cancelled the Sister ship and I wonder how long before they get smart and merge with another line? It appears to be ripe for it especially given the age of their ships. We were very disappointed with their newbuild and she has now been removed from doing their world cruise due to customer disappointment.

We then had a mis hap on one of our cruises and was told to contact guest relations in Miami when we returned. We did so and were VERY disappointed with their response after sailing several hundred nights onboard almost exclusively. It was at this point we said goodbye to Silversea. We cancelled 5 cruises and vowed to try Seabourn out.

Our first cruise was in Asia on the Spirit. We loved it! Great food, friendly staff and a lovely little ship. I see right away why people like the little ones. Really yacht like. The people we met were just as entertaining and friendly as most onboard Silversea....really a nice group. We found the alcohol on Seabourn to be a bit better then Silversea and the staffing and general demeanor to be excellent. Crew seemed somewhat happy working there and that feeling was not alive and well on Silversea. More and more we got the feeling that Silversea staff could not wait to escape the slave ships....this made us sad and sometimes we were happy to get off.

We shortly will begin a 3 cruise trip on the Legend in the med, we cannot wait! Both lines have their pluses and minus's however we were very impressed with Seabourn and find we really don't miss Silversea all that much. Now if only they would offer us a matching number of nights? or some semblance there of?

Happy travels to all!

cruiseerf: many thanks for your thoughtful reply. We can relate to your views on the Spirit, having endured that ship for a month crossing the Pacific. We also believe that the butler situation is absurd. One thing they do excel at are cruise directors: how does Seabourn compare? Do they offer bridge, trivia etc in a fun, relaxed way?

Mayriver - I would personally say that they are equal to Silversea CD's. One of our favourites on SS was Judi - SB have Jan Stearman who is rather similar in style. They are all pretty good at organising trivia, being around the ship, hosting dinner tables, but of course vary in age and style, from quietly charming to younger and more 'upfront'. Certainly all know their job, and also have assistants. I think bridge is organised, when there are lessons on sea days, by the bridge instructors. Someone who plays bridge should be able to fill you in on this.

Something I find a bit strange - Seabourn fans seem more likely to complain about SB than those on Silversea -or especially Seadream - on their boards. I suspect it is because we tend to have such affection for the line that we feel sad when anything goes wrong! I have travelled both lines, SS certainly 4 times, and SB many more, and would not go back to SS now for reasons I and others have given. But it is such a personal thing, people should try both if they possibly can before final judgment - or you might like both equally.

I have sailed quite a few days on Silversea beginning with June 1994 when the Cloud first came on to the scene. Back then SS was really special. The dining room menus were interesting, sophisticated and the preparation was excellent. The whole experience was superb. Over the course of the years things changed a lot but mostly I found the crews less accommodating, the food more boring and the atmosphere less inviting.

This is not to say that things haven't changed on Seabourn in that period as well. Lots of little things have disappeared over the years (petit fours in the bars after dinner come to mind) but in general they have done a much better job imo in maintaining a true luxury experience. The food is much better, the service remains top rate and overall, I am rarely disappointed.

The one area where I have to disagree is that of cruise directors. Silversea seems to shine in that area. I have never met a CD on SB equal to Fernando or Judie Abbot on SS.

I would say that you have nothing to worry about in anticipating your first SB cruise. Enjoy!

An area in which Seabourn excels is its welcoming graciousness towards singles. My late husband and I sailed Royal Viking/Seabourn for many years; my first sailing alone was not indeed alone: it was on my favorite Pride and the many officers and staff we had known welcomed me back as part of their sailing family. I always feel comfortable and so very well cared-for that I would never return to Silversea which did not even provide hosted tables. Seabourn's strength is those who staff its ships and take such good care of us all.

Winnie

An area in which Seabourn excels is its welcoming graciousness towards singles. My late husband and I sailed Royal Viking/Seabourn for many years; my first sailing alone was not indeed alone: it was on my favorite Pride and the many officers and staff we had known welcomed me back as part of their sailing family. I always feel comfortable and so very well cared-for that I would never return to Silversea which did not even provide hosted tables. Seabourn's strength is those who staff its ships and take such good care of us all.

Winnie

Well Said! Without experiencing this special treatment..it is hard to relate what a special family SB is. It is true for couples as well.

Hello:

After all the cruising the best cruise director I had was a husband wife team (jaime?) who did the round the world on the Regent Voyager. He did video logs, tables, everything. Though I think they have since moved on to another line?

Judy is fabulous....entertaining and lovely...She has seen it all. We had many dinners with her over the years. Silversea though has many cruise directors who come and go because their head office is apparently run quite poorly and according to several past CD's, Maitre D's etc, Silversea organizes terribly and calls people during their vacations to come back early etc....constantly. THIS is why many of their CD's and sales staff, head sommeliers, bounce to Oceania, Regent and Seabourn.

This has worked well for us as we have been welcomed now at most of the luxury lines by past Silversea staff who are happy to be gone.

Our last Seabourn CD was quite good, and his assistant was also excellent, a blond English lady who also sang....And Alastair the classical guitar player was fantastic. Really excellent group.

Cheers! Happy Sails.

Hello:

After all the cruising the best cruise director I had was a husband wife team (jaime?) who did the round the world on the Regent Voyager. He did video logs, tables, everything. Though I think they have since moved on to another line?

You are thinking of Jamie Logan who is still working for Regent, though on holiday at the moment. You might like to read his blog on jamie@sameshipdifferentday.com.

The differences between Seabourn and Crystal are greater imo than those between SB and SS. Even though beginning in March and May Crystal is going all inclusive the ships are much larger (meaning they can't dock in some of the smaller, charming ports that SB can) , carry more passengers and still have two assigned seatings for dinner. They have something called preferred dining time (I think) but you still have to reserve your time in advance. This is a deal breaker for me as I love open seating. Otherwise Crystal is a great cruise line with food and service on a par with SB.

The differences between Seabourn and Crystal are greater imo than those between SB and SS. Even though beginning in March and May Crystal is going all inclusive the ships are much larger (meaning they can't dock in some of the smaller, charming ports that SB can) , carry more passengers and still have two assigned seatings for dinner. They have something called preferred dining time (I think) but you still have to reserve your time in advance. This is a deal breaker for me as I love open seating. Otherwise Crystal is a great cruise line with food and service on a par with SB.

Reading how bad the wine is on SB I'm not so sure all inclusive is worth it! :eek:May be best to purchase what you really want!

Reading how bad the wine is on SB I'm not so sure all inclusive is worth it! :eek:May be best to purchase what you really want!

Don't beleive everything that you hear!....Most people are quite satisfied..and..the sommelier usually can find one that suits you. I have never heard a complaint...but have watched glasses happily refilled freguently.

We have sailed Regent, Crystal, Silversea and Seabourn. The next two cruises we are taking are on Seabourn.

Although we are Gold on Regent, we do not find paying for excursions we do not need, and the new concierge program to meet our requirements for a luxury cruise. Many of the staff we knew and loved have left. It is an excellent cruise line otherwise, and we enjoyed our past cruises immensely. But we have moved on.

We enjoyed Crystal, especially the Symphony - Serenity was not up to our expectations in terms of dining room service, especially preferred choice dining. The cabins also are smaller than on the other ships. Wonderful food. Silk Road restaurant is an absolute wonder. The staff was outstanding. It will go all inclusive next year, so it remains to be seen how that fares.

We cruised Silversea 4 times last year. Our most favorite cruise ever was on the Wind in South Africa. One of the truly memorable experiences ever. The ship's staff is like family to us. However, our last two cruises on the Shadow and especially the Silver Spirit left something to be desired. On the Spirit, the design of the ship, lack of soundproofing, lack of hotel management of high standards and the tiredness of the crew were very obvious. The Shadow cruise was fine, but food standards and a bit of a tired ship concerned us.

We have sailed Seabourn four times recently. Three on the sisters, which are intimate, high service ships, and once on the Sojourn. Not everything was perfect on the sisters, but the service and food was outstanding.

We can say that the Seabourn Sojourn is now our favorite ship ever( and we do love Regent's Mariner). We sailed Singapore to Dubai, doing India as well, (my review is on the Seabourn website) and it was fantastic. Cabins are spacious, food was excellent, speakers were excellent. Jan was a great CD and Vitor the Hotel Director was wonderful. We had a great choice of complimentary wines. We did not necessarily accept what was poured, but asked for our favorites, and got them with no problem. There was a great anticipation of needs by the staff, and we left with total satisfaction from the cruise, which is not an easy thing for cruise lines to do these days.

We will be on the Sojourn in South America in November.

The best thing about all these lines is that we have the opportunity, and we are able to sail them. We are very lucky. You may prefer something that we don't. That's about choices, and we're glad we have them.

Funny how the topic of wines has permeated several different threads. In all my time on Seabourn I have never been unable to find something drinkable, even enjoyable. Are they really fine wines? Of course not! But they are more than satisfactory for the most part. at least imo.

Harbormaster

So well said - thank you. We have over the last 7 years been exclusively Silversea but have wanted to try Seabourn again which we last sailed in 2004 on the Spirit and truly loved. We will now try the Quest in December and are looking forward to the new ship.

I agree with so many that itinerary plays an important part and we are so fortunate to be able to sail any of these lines. All have pros and cons - whether it be food, service, cd, and wine choices. I myself will bring my own wine on board so the poor wine selection will not deter me. I will base it on the overall experience.

Cindy

Archived