Zuiderdam condition

jamarone

I am reading several complaints on the condition and even the service on this ship. It will be our first trip on HAL and I am anxious to have a good experience. The cruise sounds great - south Carib and mid way thru the Panama Canal.

I know the reputation of Holland America, I just want to be reasssured that it is still ongoing.

I am reading several complaints on the condition and even the service on this ship. It will be our first trip on HAL and I am anxious to have a good experience. The cruise sounds great - south Carib and mid way thru the Panama Canal.

I know the reputation of Holland America, I just want to be reasssured that it is still ongoing.

We were on the ship in May. The ship was in fine condition and well-maintained. (I have dozens of pictures to back up that statement, if needed, too ;-) The crew while we were aboard were outstanding.

Some of the complaints you may have read seemed pretty minor to me personally. IIRC, two people complained that one of the seats in the Lido were torn and patched. :eek: (I saw one such patch - wonder if they saw the same one - it wasn't large.) That kind of thing can be found all the time on both land and sea. At least the patches used match the material on the Zuiderdam. :D

Others who were aboard the exact same sailings as those reports you read had very different (positive) experiences and shared them here.

IMO, people tend to find what they expect to find, or what reflects their general view on life. No ship will be perfect, even on the first sailing (ask anyone who has sailed a "Maiden Voyage,") but what I saw of ongoing maintenance (painting, re-varnishing rails and deck chairs, regular overnight deep cleaning of carpets in the Lido and other high-traffic public rooms) leads me to believe the captain and hotel manager take the issue seriously.

Some people don't like the very colorful interior - why they didn't check it out online before booking is a mystery. I'm not one who seeks home decorating ideas from ship's interiors, or high-rise building lobbies for that matter, As such, I go with the flow established and, over the years, have never found a ship's overall interior design objectionable. JMO

IIRC, one person recently claimed the Zuiderdam was "old" and ought be retired. It was built in 2003.

FWIW, the only service failure we encountered while aboard the Zuiderdam was room service ordered late in the afternoon or evening.

You picked a great itinerary. It is a great ship. Don't go if you plan to pack white gloves and spend your time aboard seeking out possible defects. Do go if you just want to have fun on a nice, clean ship with a friendly crew willing to do whatever than can to make your cruise a memorable one. Roll with whatever punches come along, there are almost always a few and they are almost always also minor unless one is the type to make mountains out of molehills.

If you read the most recently post CC member review I think you will be reassured even more: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1472551

I board the ship in 10 days and know that I will be happy as a clam:)

Joanie

I can't mention the name of the site, but I often post elsewhere. It's all positive feedback on Zuiderdam this summer. One poster had a terrible cruise due to sick child, but went out of her way to praise the ship - condition and crew - even though she'd worried about "old" before sailing.

We were on the Zuiderdam in January-February this May and it was pointed out early by one of the staff members in the Neptune Lounge and our room stewards, that this ship has the highest rating of the entire HAL fleet based on comment/survey cards at the end of the cruise.

We were somewhat skeptical, as our favorites were the Eurodam and the Westerdam, but this was the best crew we have ever had on a HAL cruise along with the best food for the 10-day cruise. I can see why they have the top ratings, as the staff in the Neptune, gift shops, Lido, Front Desk, MDR and Pinnacle Grille were superb.

I personally ignore every comment or negative review I read on these boards, as I've never had the same experience on the ships that are mentioned. Then again, there is not one ship in any fleet that doesn't have a bad review.

Zuiderdam is now one of our favorites, otherwise we wouldn't have booked her again for a cruise next year.

We were on the ship in May. The ship was in fine condition and well-maintained. The crew while we were aboard were outstanding.

DW and I were also on in April and May, and we too felt the ship was in excellent shape and the crew top notch. We'd book another trip aboard the Z in a heartbeat.

Whenever someone posts a comment about the deteriorated conditions on the Zuiderdam there are always those who post that they recently saw nothing wrong with it. This is happening on this thread as well. I can state unequivocally from first hand observation that there were multiple glaring condition problems on the Zuiderdam when we were on it three years ago. In contrast, I've never seen condition problems on any other HAL, Princess, or RCCL ship that we've sailed on. This brings up the old adage that where there's smoke there's likely to be fire.

Hummm. Three months ago; three years ago. Which should I expect when I sail the Zuiderdam this December?

My money's on the three months ago reports. Literally, as final payment hasn't come yet. Time will tell.

Whenever someone posts a comment about the deteriorated conditions on the Zuiderdam there are always those who post that they recently saw nothing wrong with it. This is happening on this thread as well. I can state unequivocally from first hand observation that there were multiple glaring condition problems on the Zuiderdam when we were on it three years ago. In contrast, I've never seen condition problems on any other HAL, Princess, or RCCL ship that we've sailed on. This brings up the old adage that where there's smoke there's likely to be fire.

You'll be glad to know that whatever problems you noticed three years ago :eek: have been fixed. I was on her in July and didn't see any "glaring condition problems" or even minor condition problems. The crew is a delight and the ship is sparkling clean. :D

Hummm. Three months ago; three years ago. Which should I expect when I sail the Zuiderdam this December?

My money's on the three months ago reports. Literally, as final payment hasn't come yet. Time will tell.

Ruth, I'll be happy to send pictures (if I have them) of any sections of concern, yours as well as the real imaginary. ;)

I do have a photo of guy who sews all the deck seat cushions. Someone claimed on another thread that all of them needed replacing but HAL was too cheap to order them. They're replaced as needed every day. Sometimes not as fast as some would like, but that's life on the sea, isn't it?

Someone else ranted about about a mottled piece of wallpaper in the Lido. I may actually have a shot of that - I definitely saw it. Not easy to replace, but then I didn't think it was THAT big a deal.

I imagine someone somewhere is claiming a safety violation because part of the Promenade Deck railing occasionally went missing. :eek: It was off being re-varnished. As soon as it dried, it returned and another section was removed for the same treatment. True, the deck chairs aren't refinished to a fare-thee-well (i.e., brass hardware not re-polished) like the old days, but we saw many getting attention during our evening walks.

Speaking of the Promenade Deck, there was no rust to be found anywhere, from floor to ceiling. (ASIDE: As we weren't in Alaska, it seemed to us that the windows on all decks got regular cleanings.)

The ship's interior has been described as gaudy. I guess it is. I like to think of it as vividly colored or cartoonish, as in an animated cartoon. A few of the elevator lobby chairs definitely qualify IMO. They always made me smile, too!

You'll be glad to know that whatever problems you noticed three years ago :eek: have been fixed. I was on her in July and didn't see any "glaring condition problems" or even minor condition problems. The crew is a delight and the ship is sparkling clean. :D

DDD: I've followed your comments here and there (some from while aboard IIRC) and am so glad you spoke up on a couple of occasions.

What you said about the crew is so true, although I imagine almost everyone we met already went on furlough by the time you boarded. From Nita (always lugging a vacuum cleaner) to Head Chef Tony and Canaletto Chef Shajiv, to Reydel (sure to be chief Sommelier some day) to Brian, the bar assistant who never forgot a single name of anyone introduced to him during those 22-days, the crew was amazing.

A lot is due to the leaderhsip qualities of a remarkable captain, Christopher Turner, and the Hotel Manager, Edwin Brunink. Turner is obviously well-loved and respected by the crew. His zest for life is palpable to even a distant observer. His attention to detail was evident during his daily inspection of different areas of the ship, which I unobtrusively observed on two or three occasions.

Brunink must be a "crew member's hotel manager" because my impression is that he isn't particularly good at small-talk with guests, whether they're staying in a suite or a MM interior cabin. But, as he has much to say about how things run in so many departments, it is obvious he knows how to work with good leaders downstream and maintain outstanding morale among the crew.

Ruth, I'll be happy to send pictures (if I have them) of any sections of concern, yours as well as the real imaginary. ;)

Thank you for the offer; I appreciate it. But I really don't think it will be necessary.

I've taken a look around my own house. My living room carpet really should be cleaned, and turned. But I am not going to the trouble of hiring a crew to pack up all the furniture to turn the rug. I'll have it cleaned, and the worn area will show.

There's a few rust spots on the iron railings outside my front door. Someday I may get around to painting them. Maybe.

That garage door really should be replaced. The paint is peeling badly, and the wood is rotting in a couple of places.

The point is, I live in less than House Beautiful surroundings. I can certainly cruise in surroundings that are no worse.

Thank you for the offer; I appreciate it. But I really don't think it will be necessary.

I've taken a look around my own house. My living room carpet really should be cleaned, and turned. But I am not going to the trouble of hiring a crew to pack up all the furniture to turn the rug. I'll have it cleaned, and the worn area will show.

There's a few rust spots on the iron railings outside my front door. Someday I may get around to painting them. Maybe.

That garage door really should be replaced. The paint is peeling badly, and the wood is rotting in a couple of places.

The point is, I live in less than House Beautiful surroundings. I can certainly cruise in surroundings that are no worse.

Straight to the point and so true!! Love the comparison/analogy!!:)

I'll be on Zuiderdam isn just over a week and can deal with everything as long as I am on the ship, enjoying my fellow passengers, the crew, the food, heck I'll be on a cruise and loving it!!

Joanie

I found an interview with Captain Turner of the Zuiderdam, where he describes the ship receiving the highest ratings in 2010. You can find it at www.beyondships.com/HAL-Zuiderdam-Captain.html. It certainly made me feel very assured that we will be having a great cruise on her this coming month! :D Joanie, you'll be first to find that out!!

I found an interview with Captain Turner of the Zuiderdam, where he describes the ship receiving the highest ratings in 2010. You can find it at www.beyondships.com/HAL-Zuiderdam-Captain.html. It certainly made me feel very assured that we will be having a great cruise on her this coming month! :D Joanie, you'll be first to find that out!!

I will be Loosey:) And if I can find the time while in US Ports I may try to do a semi live from thread on my new Net Book:) Cannot guarantee it will happen, but will try:)

Joanie

Goosey, that would be wonderful! Hope it works out. I'd like to do the same, but I don't think I'll bring my netbook. As it is, I think I'm going to be struggling to fit everything into one suitcase! :eek: Anyway, I've no doubt that you and I will enjoy the Zuiderdam!

For what it's worth, my parents were on Zuiderdam on the July 30-August 6 sailing (their first cruise) and had no complaints about the condition of the ship or the quality of the service. They were also nervous going into it, having read all the negative comments here. But they said they didn't notice any of the issues reported. They just disliked the bad weather and rough waters, which HAL has no control over.

Current captain is Captain Timmers, whom my parents met and said he was great. :)

We just returned from the 7 day inside passage and saw nothing that would make us avoid this ship.

That being said -- she's not perfect. There was one area of the Crow's Nest bar that needed repair -- not sure why it would take so long to fix something like that? A few hinges on our closet doors had pulled away from the inside wall. The doors still functioned fine, so that wasn't a big deal. Probably my biggest complaint was that our shower curtain was a little mildewed. I made sure I mentioned that in my survey -- you don't need to go into dry dock to fix something like that! And lastly, I noticed a few items not working up to par in the Lido buffet (electric burners on the pasta station seemed to be acting up one afternoon).

Again -- nothing so overwelming that I would avoid the ship if it had the itinerary I wanted. And most of the ship was lovely, bright and enjoyable.

Archived