Cunard TA in Oct - help me dress?

Milaandra

I need your help! I'm relocating to Scotland so I have a million things running through my head, and I can't even remember what the weather was like here last October! Now I need to figure out my wardrobe requirements for two weeks in Southern Ontario, one week on the TA and up to a week in Scotland (outside of Edinburgh) because everything else is getting packed up for shipping.

I think I have the four formal nights covered (although I will be bold and wear red for the black and white ball), and the semi-formal and casual nights.

I'll bring a cusp season leather jacket and ankle boots.

What the heck else do I wear? Will it be crisp...ie sweater weather?

I have a couple of nice structured wool cardigans, a couple of light-weight wool suits (with pants). Add jeans, another couple pairs of trousers, a couple of nice blouses and a couple of sweaters? Is that appropriate for the weather and the venue?

I have my own insulation, so I don't get overly cold.

Help me please! My brain is in overload.

I haven't had the pleasure of sailing with cunard, but since no one else has posted, I'll try and help. The wonderful thing about travelling on a more traditional and conservative shipping line is they are not afraid to tell you their rules. I briefly looked at cunard.com, and I think it is specific enough to help you decide what to pack. The not so wonderful thing about travelling with a company like this is that once they explain in detail all their rules, they expect you to obey them. So, yes, that includes not wearing a red dress on black and white night. That kind of fashion faux pas only works in a romantic movie, so don't do it.

You didn't mention bringing a trench coat. I would definitely bring one with a zip out lining and even a detachable hood if possible. And don't forget a travel umbrella that collapses small enough to fit in your purse. You are going to Great Britain in October. I would even be sure to have either pantyhose or long silk underwear you can wear under your pants in case there is an early cold snap.

The best of luck to you in your new adventure!

We have cruised often but have our first Cunard coming up, also a TA. On the Cunard board folks are very blunt about dress code but I have read elsewhere that the daily attire is much like any other line - it is the evenings that are strict and even then there may be some mercy for those who don't quite live up to the letter of the code.

I am anticipating cool, damp weather and. Am attempting to pack clothes that are mix and match as well as layer. I am leaving the jeans at home since they are not really warm, don't dry out quickly if damp and are not always welcome. We are trying to take as little luggage as possible since we have many connections and want to handle our bags ourselves as much as possible.

Thank you for responding! I haven't checked for a while, so this was a nice surprise.

Trench is a great idea. I finally gave away my "wino coat" which was practical but really too long for me, and I haven't had much luck finding a nice one since. I'll keep looking.

October can be such a cusp season, and with the weather shift and being on the open sea, I really couldn't get my head around what I would need. It takes a lot to get me cold...it's more about what looks appropriate for the location and season.

So you think I can count on it being crisp/damp/chilly? I have a couple of really practical cashmere/cotton tees, layered with wool cardigans or a jacket on board and in Scotland, maybe a couple of fine turtlenecks and one or two heavier sweaters, ankle boots, wool slacks and jeans...silk-lined fashion gloves...

Does that sound right?

As for the black & white ball, I don't own any black or white evening wear. We have our choice of red, lavender, green, warm gray (but that's more of a long evening suit) and brown. The brown is for the Ascot ball, as I have a complementary fascinator. I thought the red (with a black bolero...forgive me Curt) at least looked like it was on purpose... I was scrambling for extra formal wear, but I never found anything in black or white.

We just got back from a round trip TA on the QM2. (8/22 and 8/29) During the day, attire is the same as any other cruise so don't worry. Evenings are definitely more formal; 85% of men in tuxes and most, but not all ladies in long dresses and or cocktail dresses. Don't worry about daytime, you'll be fine.

Archived