Non-USA citizens and US Customs

jtdlmc

A similar thread came up not too long ago on another board. It seems to be a debarking port thing, not a cruiseline issue. Miami and Fort Lauderdale have their own 'foreign' immigration people onshore. Some other ports do not; hence the meeting at 6AM on the final day while onboard to get cleared.

For now, I'll stick with the above 2 ports. :)

@jtdlmc -

We returned to NYC two weeks ago from The Bahamas. We did not hear any announcement other than that the ship had been cleared for debarkation, and that those passengers who schlepped their own luggage could now depart. Which we did. As mentioned earlier, there were two lines, U.S. and, OMG, Foreigners. Processing was very fast.

Juergen (and Helen)

Via Tapatalk & iPod touch.

With the amount of people going through any big ship port, you would think they would have the proper customs people there. It really puts a damper on your last night of the cruise if you have to get up at 6am to stand in some dumb line.

You're misplacing the blame. It's generally lack of adequate facilities in the port terminal building to separately process foreign nationals that causes the problem, not the number of CBP agents.

Sometimes, CBP just changes the way they're processing passengers for no apparent reason. We were on a cruise some years ago where US citizens had to be up early to meet with customs, while foreign nationals got to sleep later.

This is my guess on the reason.

It may also have to do with the demographics of the ship.

It stands to reason the any country wants to keep it's borders safe. In saying that, the US would have to do more checking of those from other countries because they don't have access to direct information regarding that individual. They do have access to more direct information of Canadians because of the sharing of information between the countries.

If most of the ship are US and Canadians and only a small percentage from other countries, then there would be no need to do pre-clearance work for Canadians, as the non-US lineup would not be overwhelmed.

If there are a high number of non-US citizens not including Canadians then the pre-clearance would be done so Canadians could line up in the US line and get cleared quicker.

Customs and Immigration are two different things. Everyone coming into the US goes through customs (sometimes all they do is collect your declaration). Non US citizens go through Immigration as well. This may take the form of pre-clearence.

Customs and Immigration are two different things. Everyone coming into the US goes through customs (sometimes all they do is collect your declaration). Non US citizens go through Immigration as well. This may take the form of pre-clearence.

In the US customs and immigration processing are both done by the same agency, Customs and Border Protection. We frequently cruise from New York City and Cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ and I can assure you that one CBP officer both reviews and takes our customs declaration, and examines (and often scans) our passports. Although we are US citizens we always go through both customs and immigration in these ports...and for that matter at any airport we've flown into on an international flight.

OK I won’t argue on who does what in the U.S., it is really not relavent, nor do I care, since this thread was started by a non-US citizen looking for info coming back into the States.

If you see reference to “customs and immigration” by a Canadian, please understand, even though these services here in Canada have been separated a few years ago. We used to have one umbrella called “Canada Customs and Immigration”. Therefore any older crowd would refer to them as one in the same.

I travel across the border frequently (more than twice a week, some weeks) as I live only a couple of miles from the border. Whether by car or air, I only go through one person that checks my passport and asks what I am bringing going or coming. Are they customs or immigration? Beats me all I know is they wear a uniform and take my appropriate information.

When we cruised I have been in 2 different lines, one U.S. and Canadian passengers (in LA) and one non-U.S. passengers (in Miami). Both had the exact same process. The only difference was in LA we were apparently suppose to go early (we never got the notice as I stated above) for our declaration to be checked that it was all in order. Followed the signs that said "U.S. and Canadian citizens"

OK I won’t argue on who does what in the U.S., it is really not relavent, nor do I care, since this thread was started by a non-US citizen looking for info coming back into the States.

If you see reference to “customs and immigration” by a Canadian, please understand, even though these services here in Canada have been separated a few years ago. We used to have one umbrella called “Canada Customs and Immigration”. Therefore any older crowd would refer to them as one in the same.

I travel across the border frequently (more than twice a week, some weeks) as I live only a couple of miles from the border. Whether by car or air, I only go through one person that checks my passport and asks what I am bringing going or coming. Are they customs or immigration? Beats me all I know is they wear a uniform and take my appropriate information.

When we cruised I have been in 2 different lines, one U.S. and Canadian passengers (in LA) and one non-U.S. passengers (in Miami). Both had the exact same process.

As I noted in my previous post, both customs and immigration in the US are handled by a single agency, CBP, so that single officer who processes you at the border, airport or cruise terminal is performing both functions.

As I noted in my previous post, both customs and immigration in the US are handled by a single agency, CBP, so that single officer who processes you at the border, airport or cruise terminal is performing both functions.

Thanks njhorsemen it is nice to know I'm not losing my mind ;). As I said I don't ask for his credentials, I just want him to process me and send me on my merry way. :D

I live in a border city as well and cross over at least once a week and only deal with one person per trip so I don't know why we have to go through two when coming off a cruise ship. It seemed like when we had to meet in the lounge at that ungodly early morning hour, they were just checking to see that our declaration form was filled out properly - that's all he did - looked at our passports and our forms, put an X on the form and away we went. Took all of 1 minute. Then when we again stood in line in the port terminal (along with the US citizens), the official there just took the form and sent as along - didn't look at our passports or speak a word to us other than - "you're all set". Seemed like a big waste of good sleeping time to be at that first meeting! I, for one, will not cruise out of Tampa again (or any other port that works the same say) because of it. So I'm glad to know that NY, Miami and Ft. Lauderdale ports will allow me to sleep in a little on my last day of vacation!

Well, those of us who frequent this NCL board will know more about this when the Star starts cruising out of Tampa in October. I'm sure there will be more than one thread about it.

If it works like that (up at an early hour for a quick check, and Canadians are included) I'll mention it to my MP when I get back from my November cruise. He's a old family friend and is thick with Harper. He probably can't do anything about it (at least not right away), but he likes to hear about stuff like that and will pass it along to whoever needs to know.

edit. But by the sounds of it, it just seems to be an administrative limitation in Tampa and possibly some other smaller less popular ports.

Well, those of us who frequent this NCL board will know more about this when the Star starts cruising out of Tampa in October. I'm sure there will be more than one thread about it.

If it works like that (up at an early hour for a quick check, and Canadians are included) I'll mention it to my MP when I get back from my November cruise. He's a old family friend and is thick with Harper. He probably can't do anything about it (at least not right away), but he likes to hear about stuff like that and will pass it along to whoever needs to know.

edit. But by the sounds of it, it just seems to be a limitation in Tampa and possibly some other smaller less popular ports.

LOL ok glad your MP likes to hear about things. But considering that Tampa is in Florida, which is in the U.S.A. and therefore under U.S. customs and/or immigration and has absolutely nothing to do with our government. I'd have to agree that complaining to our government is going to do nothing. And really such a minor issue. I don't think I would want our government wasting any time on it, we have far more pressing problems to deal with I would think.

We did 2 Cruises with Disney out of Port Canaveral & hubby wasn't a Citizen yet and he had to get up at the crack of dawn on the morning of Disembarkation along with all other Non-Citizens.. It didn't take long either time, but that alarm going off that early on the last morning of my Vacation did not make me happy..

We went on NCL out of Miami and he didn't have to do it..

We went to basically the same places on 1 of the Disney & NCL cruises, so I assume it is based on the Port..

So it looks like Tampa and Port Canaveral are the only ports on the East coast that have this requirement. New York, Miami and Fort Launderdale will allow for us non-US citizens to sleep in past 6 am on our last morning.

Sorry, lots of questions and I've tried to search but draw a blank with this one.

On my last cruise out of Tampa on CCL all Canadians (and other non-USA citizens) had to meet with US custom officials at 6 am!!!! the day of debark! I'm told this only happens at certain ports. Anyone know if this is the case with NCL in New York?

I remember having gone through the same ordeal on my cruise out of Tampa on the Carnival Inspiration. However, this was not the case when we sailed out of New York on the Carnival Dream. Just went through the lines at the terminal. Also, when we returned on the NCL Jewel to New York (from Miami), did not have to assemble prior to debarcation in the early hours.

I believe Tampa does it this way because the facilities in the terminal are lacquing as far as space is concerned.

Archived