Passport Question

Countries fussy about the six month issue tend to be those that require issuance of a visa or visa stamp. These often have a set time limit for tourist visit (typically six months) and the passport has to outlive the visa period. Countries (like EU and UK) that don't require a visa for U.S. citizens, so don't have a specific time limit, would not be a strict although inside a month might be cutting it too close as far as getting back into USA in event of lengthy delay.

Just in case you care, I recently had to renew my passport and had it within 3 weeks.

Yeah, I just renewed mine and had it back in 3-4 weeks, however that can change as well. You could always express it, but it costs quite a bit extra.

I understand your frustration w/ being "short changed" in a way. My passport wasn't even 2 years old, but I had to do a name change when I got married. Unfortunately, if your passport is more than a year old, they charge you full price to change the info on it. Of course, mine was 1 1/2 years old. So I got shorted 8 years from mine!!!

We have an upcoming Caribbean Freedom of the Seas b2b cruise leaving November 20 and November 27, 2011. I just noticed that our passports expire May 16, 2012....a little less than 6 months from the start of the second cruise. Someone told me that they read here on CC that a woman was denied boarding a cruise because her passport expired less than 6 months from the start of her cruise...can this be true? I wasn't really thinking I would have to renew our passports until Spring, what a hassle to have to do that now. It's like you are paying for 6 months less of a valid passport than you think you are.:(

Mine expired the Tuesday after we got home and they let me cruise just fine

You should be ok. On an Carib cruise, the only entity that requires a passport is the cruise line, otherwise you do not show a passport in the Carib port of calls (countries.) As a precaution, we guard our passports and never take them out of the safe. The only time we needed a passport was in Croatia on our last Medit. cruise as they are not part of the European Union, otherwise the only id that we took we us was driver's license and seapass.

I believe (and I could be wrong) that certain countries do require your passport to be valid more than 6 months from when you are traveling. However, I do not believe that any in the Caribbean have that requirement you should be fine.

That is correct. Many countries do require you passport to be valid at least 6 more months to let you into their country. When we traveled to Turkey, I was able to find the information on line. (I was in the same boat as the OP) Perhaps you can do a search for the countries you'll be visiting and find some information - or just be safe and renew the passports now.

Countries (like EU and UK) that don't require a visa for U.S. citizens, so don't have a specific time limit, would not be a strict although inside a month might be cutting it too close as far as getting back into USA in event of lengthy delay.

That's not correct, I'm afraid. Visa free travel to Schengen countries (which is probably what you mean by EU in this context) requires 3 month passport validity beyond the proposed stay. See your State Dept advice at http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_4361.html :)

I would just point out that consistancy, when it comes to corporate policies, is not always one of RCI's strong suits.;)

Oh, don't I know, thanks for the reminder. :)

I always suspected we would be OK with a Caribbean closed-loop itinerary, but wanted to get some feedback. My sister, who tends to be a little bit more cautious than me had me thinking scary thoughts and I was loath to show up and get denied boarding. How awful would that be??

Oh, don't I know, thanks for the reminder. :)

I always suspected we would be OK with a Caribbean closed-loop itinerary, but wanted to get some feedback. My sister, who tends to be a little bit more cautious than me had me thinking scary thoughts and I was loath to show up and get denied boarding. How awful would that be??

Very!:eek::D

That's not correct, I'm afraid. Visa free travel to Schengen countries (which is probably what you mean by EU in this context) requires 3 month passport validity beyond the proposed stay. See your State Dept advice at http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_4361.html

Had to look up the Schengen thing. Never heard of it. Interesting. Looks like they operate on a de facto 90 day visa basis (stay limited to 90 days) hence the three month requriement so the passport outlasts the 90 days.

I thought it was odd on last TA when we got to Ireland nobody checked passport or anything. Just got off the ship and walked into Cobh. Then at Plymouth, England passport got checked the evening prior and again on shore. But at Le Havre, France again nothing. I suppose RCI had provided the info and in a pinch could have matched to list of people whose SeaPass exited the ship.

Archived