Rome Disembarkation Question

360Guy

Our 2012 Rome disembarkation shows the ship arrives at 0430. Our flight is at 9:30 a.m. from FCO. Does anyone know if the ship offers a transfer that would get us to the airport in time for the flight or would we be better off arranging and independent transfer from the port to the airport?? Thanks!:)

I hope those plane tickets are changeable !!!! 9:30 is too early. You just cannot do it. Even with self disembarkation.

Even tho the ship says docked at 4:30 - chances are they will begin disembarking at around 7 am or 7:30 am.

It is about an hour from the port to the airport, and you need 2 hours to check-in.

Even the cruiseline advises no flights before 10:30 and that is with their transfers.

Most folks will advise not to book a flight any earlier than 11:00 am or even noon.

9:30 is absolutely nutz! And here is why. It take about 1 hour to drive from the port to FCO and you should check-in for any international flight at least 2 hours before the flight (many experts recommend 3 hours). This means you need to be off the ship by 6am and on your way to FCO. Can you do it? Perhaps. But you will need to use express disembarkation (this means you carry all your own luggage) and have a car/driver waiting for you when you get off the ship. Given the huge penalties charged by airlines these days for missing a flight, we would not even consider this kind of schedule. Bottom line for us is that we would feel very rushed, would worry ourselves sick, and its just not the way to end a cruise vacation.

Hank

Please change your tickets to mid-afternoon or later.

FCO will try your patience to the max. You'll be dragging your luggage from here to there to somewhere.

Compared to our US airports, IMHO, Rome FCO airport is primitive.

Be sure to have Euro for drinks and food. Prepare for delays. And please don't have Celebrity transfer you from ship to airport unless you prepare yourself for delays.

Have you considered an overnight in Civitavecchia? Or the Hilton close to the Rome airport? Go to the Ports info on these boards and find information to plan the end of your cruise.

An early flight just won't work. Too many problems and hauling/collecting (repeat) of luggage.

Maris

We made a Delta 10:20AM flight a year ago and it was very tight. We had a private driver pick us up at 6:30AM. We were among the first off. We were at the airport at about 7:20AM. Then it took us over an hour to check our luggage and get boarding passes. The line was very slow. Then it took another hour and 15 minutes to pass customs and airport security. Again very slow. Then you have to take a shuttle to the departure terminal. This is about 15 minutes. Then you look on a board to find your gate. Which can be far away.

You might, if you are very lucky and can get off the ship at 6:00AM, make a 9:30AM flight. But if you miss the flight, most other flights home will probably be booked. So you may have to spend the night in Rome. Personally, I would not try it. Maybe, if I was only going to JFK which has lots of other connections.

Our 2012 Rome disembarkation shows the ship arrives at 0430. Our flight is at 9:30 a.m. from FCO. Does anyone know if the ship offers a transfer that would get us to the airport in time for the flight or would we be better off arranging and independent transfer from the port to the airport?? Thanks!:)

What is your flight itinerary? Are you connecting somewhere in the EU or going straight back to the US? This makes all the difference. We were on Lufthansa on the 8/10 cruise. Off the ship at 7 AM and at the terminal by 7:55 AM for a 10 AM departure. Check in took about 15 minutes but again, we weren't flying direct back to the States. If you can, I would agree a later departure is better for your sanity ( and you get to enjoy one more breakfast on board!)

Also, no way the ship's shuttle will get you there on time. Much better to book private transport to FCO from say Rome cabs or Rome in Limo.

What is your flight itinerary? Are you connecting somewhere in the EU or going straight back to the US? This makes all the difference. We were on Lufthansa on the 8/10 cruise. Off the ship at 7 AM and at the terminal by 7:55 AM for a 10 AM departure. Check in took about 15 minutes but again, we weren't flying direct back to the States. If you can, I would agree a later departure is better for your sanity ( and you get to enjoy one more breakfast on board!)

Also, no way the ship's shuttle will get you there on time. Much better to book private transport to FCO from say Rome cabs or Rome in Limo.

I also have a 0930 flight that was arranged by...........(wait for it) Celebrity customer service!!!! I also have insurance from Celebrity and will be using their shuttle. Seems to me that if they made the arrangements and I don't make my flight......then they will need to pick up the tab for whatever it takes to get me home. Am I right? I hope? Please?????

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA !

Seems they havent read their own little blurb about not booking flights before 10:30 ! :D Sheeesh

Guess I'll be calling those delightful folks at the Celebrity switchboard tomorrow. Lovely way to spend a lunch hour on Friday. <sigh>

Guess I'll be calling those delightful folks at the Celebrity switchboard tomorrow. Lovely way to spend a lunch hour on Friday. <sigh>

Yes, I would call. Pin them down on it and get a written confirmation.

Our 2012 Rome disembarkation shows the ship arrives at 0430. Our flight is at 9:30 a.m. from FCO. ...

To give you some perspective, I have often arranged 10am flights out of San Juan for the end of a Caribbean cruise. I haven't been burned yet (knock on wood) but would never suggest this to anyone else. The point is I will take some risk for a quick departure. We also just returned from an Equinox Med cruise that docked at the same 4:30am time you mention.

Having said all that, I would never, ever, in a million years schedule a 9:30am flight out of Rome on debarkation day. As stated above, I'll take a calculated risk, but what you are proposing is just not doable. The earliest you can walk off is around 7:15 if all goes well. With a direct transfer you will be at FCO around 8:30. You will need a minimum of 2 hours at FCO or risk losing your seat(s) on a flight that is probably full.

10:30 is the absolute earliest I would consider for myself, and 11 is the earliest I would ever recommend. You are really trying to do something here that has a high chance of failure. Also, if speed is a priority, arrange your own transfer. A transfer thru Celebrity will not save you any money and you will have to wait until the bus is full before pulling out and heading to the airport.

That's my .02. Good luck and no matter what enjoy your cruise!

I also have a 0930 flight that was arranged by...........(wait for it) Celebrity customer service!!!! I also have insurance from Celebrity and will be using their shuttle. Seems to me that if they made the arrangements and I don't make my flight......then they will need to pick up the tab for whatever it takes to get me home. Am I right? I hope? Please?????

We would have some level of comfort in your situation. But I do suspect that somewhere in the X fine print it says they are not responsible for anything they do to you :)

Hank

We also docked in Civitavecchia at 4:30 on a RCI cruise & were off the ship by 6:15 AM, at FCO by 7:00 (arranged private driver) and had plenty of time to kill before our 9:50 AM flight back to the US. Fortunately for us, everything went very smoothly. Having said that, I would be hesistant to book anything before 11:00 out of FCO, even with a 4:30 arrival. Too many "what ifs".

We also docked in Civitavecchia at 4:30 on a RCI cruise & were off the ship by 6:15 AM, at FCO by 7:00 (arranged private driver) and had plenty of time to kill before our 9:50 AM flight back to the US. Fortunately for us, everything went very smoothly. Having said that, I would be hesistant to book anything before 11:00 out of FCO, even with a 4:30 arrival. Too many "what ifs".

We have a 10:00 flight. How did you arrange for a private driver, how do I contact them, and what time did you arrange for?

As we have all stated -- this is too early -- you will be a nervous wreck -- if there is any way at all to change this flight, I hope you will consider doing so.

It is so very deceiving (and so very tempting) when we see "4:30 a.m. arrival" to think that there will be no problem getting off the ship in the wee hours. But, just because the ship gets there at that time doesn't mean that any staff are available yet at the dock and in the terminal.

While you won't need to worry about Customs and Immigration at the pier, you will need to worry about traffic, long lines at the airport check-in, long lines at the airport security, and potentially long walks to the gate.

We have a 10:00 flight. How did you arrange for a private driver, how do I contact them, and what time did you arrange for?

We used RomeCabs based on reviews here and I was not disappointed - they were excellent. If you do a google search you'll find their website (simply their name followed by dot com). You can contact them directly from their website, and they will return your email promptly. I had requested a 6:45 AM pick up but were off by 6:15 (did self disembark) and they were already there waiting for us with a sign with our name on it. I believe it was 135 euros (this was two years ago).

Hi - We just got back last Saturday after disembarking in Rome from the Silhouette. While we had a 10:30 flight, we would have easily made a 9:30 flight. I assume you will be getting in on a weekend so the traffic at that hour will be minimal. We did a self-disembarkation (walk-off) at 6:15 and Rome Cabs was right there waiting for us although we had asked for a 7:00 pick-up. Check-in at the airport went very smoothly and much less chaotic then when we there 2 years ago. Good luck and don't let the stress over this ruin your trip.

You are also at the mercy of customs at Civitavecchia. If they take too much time you're sunk. We took a private limo to Fiumicino and spent the night in a nice hotel there. I don't know if it's proper to give you the name on here so I won't. They supplied limo service to the airport the next morning.

You are also at the mercy of customs at Civitavecchia. If they take too much time you're sunk. We took a private limo to Fiumicino and spent the night in a nice hotel there. I don't know if it's proper to give you the name on here so I won't. They supplied limo service to the airport the next morning.

You don't go through "customs" when leaving a country,do you mean security screening?

Archived