Formal Nights on 12 Night Med Cruise

iancal

The last Med cruise that we were on was Crystal...13 years ago. Our last two Celebrity cruises were in the Caribbean.

We are cruising out of Istanbul this month and will be packing light as we are doing an extended land trip after the cruise which includes a few flights on low baggage allowance carriers as well as car rentals (don't want to spend out time dragging heavy suitcases in and out of the car). So, taking a suit it out of the question nor will I rent a tux.

I am thinking of wearing a sportsjacket on the plane and just packing dress slacks and tie. Will this suffice?? If not, it will be the buffet or in room dining for us. I do not need anyone to post the Celebrity guidelines for us...we are quite literate and can read them and comprehend them by ourselves. Looking for what really happens vs what the guidelines are on a Med cruise. Bottom line..will this work? We will be doing select dining-table four 4 with another couple. Thanks.

While you will see quite a few in dark suits or in tuxes, you can still get away with a dark colored sports jacket, IMO. My husband has several lightweight suits - we live in a HOT climate - so he just took one lightweight black suit, which was cooler than any of his sports jackets, on our Med cruise in May. He wore the jacket of the suit with jeans and a shirt on the plane.

My luggage allowance was only 20 kgs but I still managed to include a smart jacket, white tux' and black dinner jacket.

I just don't buy the excuse that as I am travelling light formal attire will have to be left behind.

Reconsider what you are taking and I'm sure you will be able to include smarter clothes. Give it a try and you won't regret it.

Peter

esprit...thanks for your unsolicited suggestion however if you read my posting you will note that we have absolutely no intention of packing extra 'smarter clothes'.

We were in no way looking for your concurrance or opinion as to why we prefer to pack less than 20Kg.

If I had decided on this course of action I would not have made the posting. In fact, a 20Kg luggage allowance exceeds our weight limit-both on the subsequent air portions and exceeds what we are comfortable handling on the land portion of the trip.

You will be fine with what you have planned to take. I wouldn't stress about it. Formal has become less "fussy" since the airlines have become so stingy with weight allowances. I wouldn't worry for one minute. Your husband will look great. As a matter of fact, the people with the long ballgowns and tuxes kind of stand out now-a-days as being overdressed. We have 3 formal nights on our upcoming Med cruise and on one of them I am just wearing a skirt and pretty top. No big deal. We cruise about 28 days a year and don't dress up like we did in the old days when one time I brought 13 suitcases.

Archived