Amsterdam VS Ruby Princess

CocoKai

Hey All:

I know I'd get different responses if I post on the Princess Board, but I'm looking for some sage advice. We are in the early planning phase of a Med cruise next summer (Venice to Barcelona or the reverse). We are a family of 4 with 2 teenagers. We've cruised on both HAL and Princess in the past. My kids enjoyed Princess much more for the variety of entertainment and activities.

I'm leaning towards the Amsterdam for the following reasons.....

1. Smaller ship and less crowds

2. Entertainment won't be important as there are only 2 sea days

3. Overall, I like HAL's food, service and class

My only concern with HAL is the set dining time. What if you are assigned early seating and you're in most ports until 7pm? Do they do dining different now.....it's been quite a few years since we last cruised. Will the demographics of the ship be a wide variety during summer (ie. other kids)?

Am I headed in the right direction with my gut feeling or can anyone suggest a better option, even if it's not HAL? In your experience, do they have price drops at certain times. I'd like to lock it in, so I can get two side by side balcony rooms, but fearing as soon as I book there will be a Europe Sale.

Thanks so much!

Hey All:

I know I'd get different responses if I post on the Princess Board, but I'm looking for some sage advice. We are in the early planning phase of a Med cruise next summer (Venice to Barcelona or the reverse). We are a family of 4 with 2 teenagers. We've cruised on both HAL and Princess in the past. My kids enjoyed Princess much more for the variety of entertainment and activities.

I'm leaning towards the Amsterdam for the following reasons.....

1. Smaller ship and less crowds

2. Entertainment won't be important as there are only 2 sea days

3. Overall, I like HAL's food, service and class

My only concern with HAL is the set dining time. What if you are assigned early seating and you're in most ports until 7pm? Do they do dining different now.....it's been quite a few years since we last cruised. Will the demographics of the ship be a wide variety during summer (ie. other kids)?

Am I headed in the right direction with my gut feeling or can anyone suggest a better option, even if it's not HAL? In your experience, do they have price drops at certain times. I'd like to lock it in, so I can get two side by side balcony rooms, but fearing as soon as I book there will be a Europe Sale.

Thanks so much!

First of all, it's not til next year - so if there is a sale (unless it is only for new bookings) you can get that price until you have made final payment.

Summer - there should be a number of children. My ds went with her girls in the summer and there were lots of children and teens. She was impressed with HAL's program for the kids.

If you are doing this itinerary, I would either choose any time dining or late fixed seating. That way, you are not 'forced' to go to the Lido. Early dining is rushy at times in the fixed seating. You won't always wait to get on board until the last minute obviously, but sometimes you will. Anytime dining you can still choose between the MDR & the Lido. Along with the other restaurants.

I love this ship of HAL's and frankly, I find their itineraries better, usually in port longer or more interesting ports. I'm for HAL, but it's JMO:) You do need to take a hard look at your dining selection though.:D

Hal offers anytime (ok, I'm probably using the wrong term) but not fixed times or the fixed early or main (aka late) dining. You can actually do reservations for certain times in the anytime or just go and they will page you when your table is ready. If you can handle fixed main (aka late), that is what i would go for. It will match your itinerary well and by the time you get back to your room, refresh yourselves, it will be time for dinner.

hope this helps a bit:D

Do you mean the Nieuw Amsterdam? It does do Med cruises while the Amsterdam does Alaska in the summer. The Nieuw Amsterdam is the newest ship in the HAL fleet. Has about 2100 passenger which is smaller than the Ruby. I agree if you think you might stay in ports late, then choose the Open Seating rather than Fixed. We cruise both but usually on HAL because of interesting itineraries and smaller ships.

We were on the Emerald Princess (same as Ruby) from Venice to Barcelona 2 years ago. As far as crowds every port of call in July was like Disney World in the Summer. Since the Ruby has +3000 passengers expect to see +50 tour buses lined up in most of the port of call for large cities to take the passengers on various tours. We have been on the Ruby in the Caribbean, the food is same as HAL, the balcony cabins must smaller unless you get a mini suite or a balcony on the Caribe deck.

Archived