Celebrity reasurrance

rustypedals

hi all!

we are fairly novice cruisers, and have been only on Princess and Roayl Carribean

My husband loved RC and only wants to book on this wonderfule cruise line

We are celebrating our 35th anniversary this year and I have booked the

Celebrity Millinium / October 17, 2011 (concierge class)

I assured him that RC owns Celebrity? and this should be as good if not better than our RC cruises?

I hope I am right

what is the norm for dining attire?

on non formal nights - suit required / or is dockers and collared shirt ok (no tie)

on formal night - is suit and tie ok (no tux)

any suggestions on drink packages? not heavy drinkers / beer and wine

Both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity (as well as Azamara) are owned by the same parent company. Non formal nights do not require a suit -- a nice pair of slacks and a collared shirt will be fine. Formal nights do not require a tux -- I'm sure he will look great in a business suit and you will have a wonderful cruise!

There is a huge sticky with many, many posts about drinks packages you can look at, so I'll let others take up the answer to that question.

Royal Caribbean International does not own Celebrity, but they are sister cruise lines, both owned/operated by the same parent corporation. They have similarities in some areas and differences in others. In general RCI is best for those sailing with children (far more venues geared towards young ones), younger adults and those seeking lots of staff led activities and active nightlife. Celebrity is a better choice for those looking for a more sophisticated, laid back, relaxing and pampered type expereince. The food is a bit more upscale, the service more polished, much fewer announcements, more elegant public spaces etc. Celebrity also has a more restrictive smoking policy. Whether RCI or Celebrity will be a better fit for you depends really on what you are seeking in a cruise vacation, but they are both good lines.

For formal night more people opt for suits than a tux. For smart casual nights what you described is fine. For drink packages you should just pay a la carte if you are light drinkers as the packeges are only a good idea if you are going to be consuming several beverages every day.

On formal nights a dark business suit will be totally appropriate for your husband.

I’m sure Celebrity will be a great venue for your 35th anniversary, one that you both will always remember. Make sure you let Celebrity know it is your 35th anniversary. They always do something special on special occasions.

You folks may also want to consider booking one of the specialty restaurants for your anniversary celebration. There is an extra charge but it will provide a very special evening for you both.

Have a GREAT Cruise :)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is a Norwegian / American company based in Miami, Florida. It is the world's second-largest cruise line operator, after Carnival Corporation & PLC. As of March 2009, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. fully owns five cruise lines: Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Pullmantur Cruises, Azamara Club Cruises and CDF Croisières de France, plus has a 50% stake in TUI Cruises.[2][3] Previously Royal Caribbean Cruises also owned 50% of Island Cruises, but this was sold to TUI Travel PLC in October 2008

hi all!

we are fairly novice cruisers, and have been only on Princess and Roayl Carribean

My husband loved RC and only wants to book on this wonderfule cruise line

We are celebrating our 35th anniversary this year and I have booked the

Celebrity Millinium / October 17, 2011 (concierge class)

I assured him that RC owns Celebrity? and this should be as good if not better than our RC cruises?

I hope I am right

what is the norm for dining attire?

on non formal nights - suit required / or is dockers and collared shirt ok (no tie)

on formal night - is suit and tie ok (no tux)

any suggestions on drink packages? not heavy drinkers / beer and wine

Celebrity is "better" in my opinion. More elegant and classy and better service. But at the same time a little less activities than RCCL. We'll be Celebrating our 35th on Celebrity next year and have been big Celebrity fans since our first Celebrity cruise 7 years ago.

On non-formal nights (a/k/a Smart Casual) no suit is required and what you suggest (dockers and collared shirt) is perfect. I usually wear nice looking casual pants and a Tommy Bahama type shirt but but the dress is all over the place from fairly casual to a few in sport coat and tie. A suit and tie are just fine for formal night although we think it is fun to dress up a bit more and I almost always wear a tux although I have gone with a dark suit as well.

My advice on the drink packages is that if you look at the prices and think to yourself "that sounds great" or "what a bargain" then go for it. If that isn't your first opinion and you just are not sure then wait until you are on board to decide. If after checking out the prices and your consumption for a day you'd like the packages then you can buy them on board for the remainder of the cruise at a prorated price for the remaining nights. The packages just don't work for us for a number of reasons including price and the fact that we prefer bottled wine with dinner rather than wine from the more limited by-the-glass list.

The Millie is a lovely ship. We've done RCCL cruises and are starting to explore the Celebrity options. If you are Diamond on RCCL you can get Elite status on Celebrity.

Our Millie captain was the youngest captain in the fleet. I've never seen a captain do the "meet the Captain" without tons of senior staff. Not this one. Same with "Dancing with the Senior Staff" and other events. What a breath of fresh air!

On formal nights a dark business suit will be totally appropriate for your husband.

I’m sure Celebrity will be a great venue for your 35th anniversary, one that you both will always remember. Make sure you let Celebrity know it is your 35th anniversary. They always do something special on special occasions.

You folks may also want to consider booking one of the specialty restaurants for your anniversary celebration. There is an extra charge but it will provide a very special evening for you both.

Have a GREAT Cruise :)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is a Norwegian / American company based in Miami, Florida. It is the world's second-largest cruise line operator, after Carnival Corporation & PLC. As of March 2009, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. fully owns five cruise lines: Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Pullmantur Cruises, Azamara Club Cruises and CDF Croisières de France, plus has a 50% stake in TUI Cruises.[2][3] Previously Royal Caribbean Cruises also owned 50% of Island Cruises, but this was sold to TUI Travel PLC in October 2008

Dark in the suit description was removed from the dress code several years ago....

We bought drink packages for our last 2 Celebrity cruises and liked them very much. I'm not sure we came out way ahead, but I think we got our money's worth since it included all the soda, water, San Pellegrino, specialty coffees, fresh squeezed juices we wanted in addition to alcoholic drinks. We loved the elegance of it, no slips to sign, the chance to try things we probably wouldn't normally try. We also loved the sommelier in the DR who would cheerfully match wines up with the courses we were having --- and it was no problem under the plan asking for a smaller portion, since a full glass with every course might have put us under the table! Anyway, look at the sticky which has most of the drink prices, and see if you think you would come anywhere near the cost of the classic or premium package (again, factoring in all non alcoholic drinks as well.) If so, you might want to try it.

Archived