Cruise out of Italy!

TinaT

You do not make it clear which cruise you are referring to.

Many cruises start in Rome (actually Civitavecchia). You can get a lot of information by going to the Ports of Call forum for Italy. Look at the current threads, and do a search as well.

You should also go to the forum for Norweigan Cruiselines and ask questions there.

There may already be a Roll Call for this cruise. Go to Roll Calls and check.

There are advantages and one disadvantage to starting a cruise in Rome. Among the advantages, there are many flights to Rome. It is a great city, and you should try to spend several days there before your cruise. For this reason it is a popular placed to begin or end a cruise.

If your cruise ends in another city you should try to spend some extra time there too but it is very important that you allow at least one extra day to get to where your cruise starts.

The disadvantage (to me minor) to starting a cruise in Rome is that Civitavecchia is a long way from Rome, and if you are unwilling to take the train, it is expensive to get there.

We took the train there and found it to be simple, and the cost is only 4.5 Euros. You do have to be able to take your luggage down and up a flight of stairs in Civitavecchia to get from where you get off the train to the exit. Then you have to be able to walk with your luggage over sidewalks to the port entrance where there are port run shuttle busses to take you to your ship. If you have one suitcase on rollers plus a carry on bag you can attach to it (or carry on your back), and you are able bodied you will be fine taking the train. There are many, many previous posts on this and many opinions.

If you don't think you can handle the train, then you should check with your roll call to see if you can share a ride with others by private van or car.

Good luck in your planning. A tenth anniversary cruise in Europe sounds like a great idea.

Thanks for the info Maryann! We are still in the early process of planning.. Im looking into NCL Epic but cant really plan anything yet because my siter in law is getting married in Serbia so we are going for 2 weeks.. we figured we would take a cruise the 1st week ( to celebrate our 10 year anniversary a couple months early ) and the 2nd week spend it in Serbia for her weddding ( my 1st time there ) we dont know her exact date yet but I know it will be at the end of Aug 2012.. I have a feeling this is going to be very stressfull to plan..lol

There technically aren't any cruises out of Rome but many cruises do leave from Civitavecchia the major port. The port is a bit aways from both city and airport so there is always transportation and logistics, but starting from Rome allows one an extra few days in one city that can definitely use more than 10-12 hours to visit!

Happy planning,

Hi.. Has anyone done the cruise out of Rome Italy? My husband and I are looking into this cruise on the Epic next August for our 10 year anniversary.. Any feedback would be appreaciated! THX!

Archived