Zuiderdam.. horrific food. March 12, 2005

Pereiras

How you you possible be offended by a 'perhaps.. ' a word which was was specifically chosen exactly because I don't know you. It is a perhaps.

The regular HAL's all like to get upset. That is one conclusion I have come too.. care to comment Dave?

Again, don't recall seeing you on the boat, eating that meal. Still would disagree that was I ate was better than a good old trusted sold 40 billion times Mac.

Have a good one!

Jane, because this is what we do here. It's what they did before I came and it's what they'll do long after I'm gone.

But I post now mostly because I am confused again. Doesn't really matter what this person thinks about the food. I've already posted I don't care for HAL food particularly, but I just don't think it's "horrific". I do think a Big Mac is "horrific".

I post now for only one reason. What in the heck does the poster mean by "Perhaps this is, respectfully, due to a difference in 'demographics' between you and I." What do you know about my "demographics". Are you talking about age, income level or educational attainment? I'm just curious because I found this commen somewhat offensive since you know me not at all.

And secondly, I totally read your remarks about the Prince of Wales, was very clear on what you said and you completely missed my sarcasm.

And now, for Jane's sake, I will retire from this thread.:o

I personally am helping you reach the Blue Ribbon category. You are a heavyweight on these boards, that is clear. By the way, I took a look at your website and musings.. very well written. You are probably a good guy.. you and I have similar backgrounds (he says with worry..). Evolved through old hardware, sys/op, TCP/IP packets the lot. Looks like you got a ton of excellent experience. Have you concentrated on writing now? I have branched into software consulting.

While I totally agree with you, I'll bet the OP comes back to comment on your posting. And then posts another reply commenting on this one that I'm posting. And, thus, keeps "the thread that would not die" continuing ad infinitum!

Yes, I write for a living. And my readers call me to task when I go "over the top." I consider it the price of being a curmudgeon. Should you be interested, you might read the real writing at:

http://www.nwfusion.com/newsletters/dir/index.html

http://www.nwfusion.com/newsletters/netware/index.html

http://www.nwfusion.com/newsletters/nt/index.html

and http://www.nwfusion.com/columnists/kearns.html

As I said somewhere back in the deep mists of this thread, had you not been so hyperbolic in post #1, this could have been a very sympathetic thread.

-dave

"Our lives are not in the lap of the gods, but in the lap of our cooks." -Lin Yutang, The Importance of Living, 1937

HI Dave,

Wouldn't you agree that as a writer, an good bi-line is critical? You must admit that there are quite a few very defensive folks here. The funny part is, we really did experience what I said. I won't go into it again. But, on my soul, it is true.

What I found here is people who are so passionate about HAL, that they immediately discount anything negative. I have long enjoyed a good debate. I think of anyone here, you were probably the best qualified to ask me to adjust the comment to read.. we had a crappy experience, but perhaps other ships/destinations on HAL are better. Could have been convinced to do this.. but got mostly heat and insults. Hey, I will never back from a good debate, and probably am better than most at keeping cool. Learned this from one of my earlier bosses. He was a master at throwing meat out to the pack, and knowing what was about to come. In the end, some got angry, some got insulted, some insulted him. They all lost. He respected the ones who came back with logical debates, and often listened to them.

I really did enjoy the personalities here, and honestly, I think most are good people. Perhaps.. (note Heather, the word is perhaps) this debate will help in the future. It is always better to respond with a cool head, try to expose flaws, react unemotionally.

Ah.. what the heck to I know anyway. Will read your stuff Mr. Kearns. And, I do honestly like the beard..

Grin..;)

Yes, I write for a living. And my readers call me to task when I go "over the top." I consider it the price of being a curmudgeon. Should you be interested, you might read the real writing at:

http://www.nwfusion.com/newsletters/dir/index.html

http://www.nwfusion.com/newsletters/netware/index.html

http://www.nwfusion.com/newsletters/nt/index.html

and http://www.nwfusion.com/columnists/kearns.html

As I said somewhere back in the deep mists of this thread, had you not been so hyperbolic in post #1, this could have been a very sympathetic thread.

-dave

"Our lives are not in the lap of the gods, but in the lap of our cooks." -Lin Yutang, The Importance of Living, 1937

Oh Heather. Take a pill. There was no sarcasm in your earlier post, just a rationalization to your previous post prior to that. I was just being nice ignoring that comment. Yet you continue on...you are just trying to pick a fight, admit it. I won't give you one. Tried posting nice things, factual things. You are the most perplexing here. You misread things. This is at least the 3rd time (the hotel posts, and 'perhaps' posts).

Read the note carefully..

...:I have similar backgrounds (he says with worry..). Evolved through old hardware, sys/op, TCP/IP packets the lot. Looks like you got a ton of excellent experience....

I was speaking of his technology background.

I am not a writer.

Is this sarcasm too?

Have a restful night...

On most of your post I have no further comment .... but certainly you're not telling us you are a writer!

I was being totally sarcastic about your Prince of Wales visit. I could not believe how you went on about your travels, the money you've spent (or had spent for you) and the luxury you're experienced! So I made several sarcastic remarks about it ... not very nice but when you write stuff like that you have to expect it.

Your posts were confusing and contradictory and I thought that if I pointed that out you might help me understand your point. You've also been unbelievably insulting to many who have posted including me. You talk down to everyone as if you are in some way superior. And I was stupid enough to bite. So shoot me for being that stupid. We all have our bad days.

Reading and posting on this thread was just one of many tiny mistakes I've made in my life. But I have a feeling the sun will still rise in the morning.

Pereiras,

Thanks for your concern as far as my getting negative feedback, but it would seem that the good folks here care as much about out trip from hell as the HAL folks did!!

Years later, we still have no feedback, certainly no refund, being moved from a balcony cabin to a lower outside...and virtually being gassed for the 1st 3 days of our 7 day cruise.

My husband is seriously questioning my sanity for booking the Maasdam in Sept. Got my fingers crossed, and hoping I can leave the gas mask at home! And, like many other fellow passengers on the same cruise we were on, hoping for greatly improved food.

Does it still STINK????

A good debater will not allow his/her emotions to get the best of them. You have allowed this to happen. I have posted nice things about you. After 7 pages of posts, I made one comment about being an experienced traveller to make a point. This is going on? La dee da?

Unbelievably insulting? I don't think so Madam. I have responded calmly to the slings and arrow.. and while your words pretend to be nice, I believe that you might be the harshest critic on these posts. A wolf in HAL sheeps clothing. You are atypical of this posters on this board.

Though I don't think you are at all stupid. You are simply defending what you hold dear, and should be admired for that. I would have thought less of you if you didn't.

Again, posting insults, as you have below.. and on your blue ribbon thread shows weakness... and it doesn't bother me in the least.

The convictions of the HAL posters is terrific!

These posts continue to allow me to say that the real reason people are here are to make their own determinations about the Zuiderdam food. Which was crap. I was there. It was horrific one night!

Thanks Heather!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi Heather.

I can tell that you are a good person. Please take a read through, I think I posted strongly about the bad food in the main. Never said anything bad about the Pinnacle.. in fact that it rescued it in my mind. Never said anything bad about the ports or the other things..(read above)

Don't remember ever posting an insult about you, and wouldn't. You've been very coordial.. which is great

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I was being totally sarcastic about your Prince of Wales visit. I could not believe how you went on about your travels, the money you've spent (or had spent for you) and the luxury you're experienced! So I made several sarcastic remarks about it ... not very nice but when you write stuff like that you have to expect it.

Your posts were confusing and contradictory and I thought that if I pointed that out you might help me understand your point. You've also been unbelievably insulting to many who have posted including me. You talk down to everyone as if you are in some way superior. And I was stupid enough to bite. So shoot me for being that stupid. We all have our bad days.

Reading and posting on this thread was just one of many tiny mistakes I've made in my life. But I have a feeling the sun will still rise in the morning.

Hi Dobbie Mommie,

Ah.. back to the task at hand!

Being honest, we didn't have any smell problems in our suite. It was good (just good). Some wear etc.

What your experience shows me, is that there is a pattern to HAL's customer service, or lack thereof. We found them polite, but clearly not interested in resolving our issue.

You know what, if I were you, and had written letters to them without response, (and you do feel the restitution they made on board wasn't adequate) I would take them to small claims court. I am not sure about your state laws, but I think you would have right to sue in your local court even though they are in Seattle because that is where the contract was executed. You should check it out.

Don't you find the posters here such as Heather a gas? Can't understand how you can let someone 3000 miles away get you upset on a message board. This is a blast! I think I will stay!

Our trip was marred by horrific food in the Main dining, bad food on the island, and non-existent customer service. We took our HAL lumps. Can't say anyone convinced me to take another HAL trip. I think you should look to Princess.. at least from our experience, the food was excellent! You should check out the 30 course Italian meal. It was something else.

Pereiras,

Thanks for your concern as far as my getting negative feedback, but it would seem that the good folks here care as much about out trip from hell as the HAL folks did!!

Years later, we still have no feedback, certainly no refund, being moved from a balcony cabin to a lower outside...and virtually being gassed for the 1st 3 days of our 7 day cruise.

My husband is seriously questioning my sanity for booking the Maasdam in Sept. Got my fingers crossed, and hoping I can leave the gas mask at home! And, like many other fellow passengers on the same cruise we were on, hoping for greatly improved food.

Does it still STINK????

Don't you find the posters here such as Heather a gas? Can't understand how you can let someone 3000 miles away get you upset on a message board. This is a blast! I think I will stay!

P, just so you know ... while I posted where I live, you did not. You could be 3000 miles away or across the street. But no matter where you are, I wasn't in the least upset. I was trying to reason with you. I realize now it was all in vain, but I tried.

I thought we made up so I was sorry to see another nasty post here about me. I doubt you'll stay very long. Mostly we all have a good time here talking about how much we love cruising. I think it will get very boring for you.

This post with reference to you was made prior to your olive branch on the other thread, which I have accepted with thanks. Glad you aren't upset. I live in Toronto. Actually, I was referring to enjoying your dialogue...

I will stay, and cruise again. Most likely on Royal this time.

P, just so you know ... while I posted where I live, you did not. You could be 3000 miles away or across the street. But no matter where you are, I wasn't in the least upset. I was trying to reason with you. I realize now it was all in vain, but I tried.

I thought we made up so I was sorry to see another nasty post here about me. I doubt you'll stay very long. Mostly we all have a good time here talking about how much we love cruising. I think it will get very boring for you.

This post with reference to you was made prior to your olive branch on the other thread, which I have accepted with thanks. Glad you aren't upset. I live in Toronto. Actually, I was referring to enjoying your dialogue...

I will stay, and cruise again. Most likely on Royal this time.

From personal, extensive experience on RCI - I don't foresee you having any more positive feedback about their food over the "perceived" food quality from your last cruise . . . . You'll also be sharing the ship with 2,800 + other guests.

OMG, I was not going to post again, but I have to agree with ShipCafe. I am a Platinum member of RCI Crown and Anchor Society, and while I have had some good meals on RCI, the food in the main dining room is really about the quality of good banquet food. As far as I am concerned this description would fit Celebrity and Carnival as well. I would rank Celebrity as the best of the three lines I have sailed, but really none of them are as good as my favorite restaurants on land. Even the speciality pay extra venues are on a par with a chain steak restaurant like say "Steak and Ale". I have never sailed SilverSeas or Seabourne but if food was the most important activity to partake on vacation, and I wanted to cruise I would have to say you should consider them. Royal Caribbean International is not going to be your ticket to food nirvana.

I am a foodie. Last year in Vegas, we ate at Aqua, Wolfgang Pucks (at Ceasars Palace can't remember the name, Amadeus perhaps), Hugo's Cellar, and Commander's Palace. We ate at the best restaurants and dropped a lot of personal coin. I haven't eaten at a buffet in Vegas since I was in college 25 years ago. On my recent quick President's Weekend trip the NYC, we at a a great steak house Bobby Van's, Todd English's Olive, and a Greek Restaurant accross from the Plaza Hotel where we watched the Olympic committee come and go from the hotel with all sorts of pomp, and we could see the silly saffron shower curtains in Central Park. The only point is to let you know that while I have never stayed in an 8000 euro suite in Vienna that I have a little travel experience.

Mr. P, the problem most of the HAL people have with your post is that while a poor plate of food is possible anywhere, on a cruise you have no one but yourself if you leave the dining room unsatisfied. The waiter will arrange another selection for you. If the unbelieveable were to happen that they would not take care of you, I can assure you had you taken a complaint to the head waiter he would have resolved the matter swiftly and happily. The food is not 5 star, I doubt that it has been for 20 years. Mistakes can and do happen in food preparation. No one really doubts whether it is possible that your turf tasted like chrome polish, but most everyone thinks that your reaction to it was not only poor, but that you compounded that by sensationalizing your cruise report in this thread. I hope that you can see this and move on with your life. You are clearly a bright person, and I can't imagine with all of your world travels that you haven't previously experienced a problem in your other travels. Really in my opinion what distinguishes a good traveler is the ability to roll with the punches and still have a fabulous trip. Rookie travelers are often the ones that have a bad situation deteriorate to the point that it ruins their vacations, and then they come into a forum like this to exact punishment on the evil doers. Which again is why many of us don't understand your reaction considering that you clearly are an experienced traveler. Then there is the other class of experienced travelers who are historically represented by the lords of her majesty's empire and the way they travelled maintaining an air of resentment to the working classes around them. I am sure you have seen the movie Titanic. :D

I do hope you will stay around CC and try to share your obvious travel experience with people here that need help making decisions. We all do, even people with experience. Your flight experience is why I have never just turned over my flights to the cruiseline. I have booked cruiseline air, but I have always done an air deviation. I never arrive at port on the day of sailing. I always go at least one day a head of time, and I frequently extend my vacation on the back end as well. The cities that cruise ships depart from are often fascinating places in their own rights. I not only don't let the cruiseline choose my flights, I pick my own airlines and specify my own flight times based on those that are available. I pay a small premium for this usually 50 to 75 per person for the air deviation, but I find that to be a bargain. You still get to take advantage of the cruiseline's negotiated fares, but have the luxury of being able to fly on the airline that you have a frequent flyer program with, and at the times that are most convenient for you.

I have not sailed with HAL yet. I will not have that much anticipated experience until this fall, but I am not expecting the MDR to resemble either McDonald's or Olives. I will truthfully report back the good and the bad, but unless something happens of a life threatening manner to one of my travel companions, don't expect me to call anything HORRIFIC.....:p I will leave those adjectives to the members of the press that need to scream their stories to be noticed.

jc

If you desire to continue your crusade then I will just think that you are not worth reading anymore, and I will be saddened.

Pereiras

I would reconsider trying out RCL I sailed on the Voyager and to put it into context the food was bland and banquet food in my opinion not bad not good.

I would take a long hard look at Celebrity most of their ingrediants are fresh and all the meals I had in the main dinning room were excellant. I have sailed twice on the Constellation.

I chose HAL this time for the itenerary. Looks like Ill spend a lot of time at the Pinnacle.

Thanks for the excellent, and well worded response. Please dont stop reading because I have responded. As you might have observed over the past few posts, I have made peace with the board, satisfied that enough has been said. I didn't come here looking for an argument.. but did expect a strong debate.

Thanks for the info about RCI.. this will help me a lot. Seems this is the opinion of several people, on those boards too. You sound a bit like us, you like good food. (though, as I have mentioned previously, we aren't what I would describe as fussy). Sounds like you have exc travel experience! I will agree regarding the fact that we should have pushed the waiter, and will take this advice to how we failed to do that. But, I think folks really don't know how poor the food was. This thread started with a sensational bi-line, agreed. It was intentional, agreed. What I do want to .. and very nicely.. express to you is that the feeling of the food was very widespread on the boat.. and by that I mean, at least 50%, in my opinion, would indicate that the food wasn't good.. at all. On other ships.. like the Princess, my opinion, is the number saying this would be more around 10%. I will agree with rolling with the puches.. we did that, and have mentioned that a few times. It was called the Pinnacle.

Personally, and I do mean this, I would be very interested in hearing from you after your trip to let me know what you thought. You have so many useful, thoughtful and wise notes below.. there is only really one thing I disagree with.. and it is really semantics. People have strongly focused on the word horrific, which does mean horrible. To me, and with all due respect, it was just that. The over the top, and other comments, to me, are not entirely understandable.. but will accept that people look at this word differently than if I used the word horrible. What do you think? I don't mind changing the bi-line to read that.. but at this point, I feel that the thread has run it's course.

I think while I did get a lot of heat, I really didn't mind it, as I said enjoyed the dialogue. What has been good, is that I learned something, and took something away from posting here.. which is always a good thing.. when you can learn from time invested. I also accomplished what I wanted to do, and that was to inform of our experience, which could be useful to others in as one persons opinion to join with others, prior to culling a decision on what line they should take.

All in all, I thank you for your coordial and well thought out note.

OMG, I was not going to post again, but I have to agree with ShipCafe. I am a Platinum member of RCI Crown and Anchor Society, and while I have had some good meals on RCI, the food in the main dining room is really about the quality of good banquet food. As far as I am concerned this description would fit Celebrity and Carnival as well. I would rank Celebrity as the best of the three lines I have sailed, but really none of them are as good as my favorite restaurants on land. Even the speciality pay extra venues are on a par with a chain steak restaurant like say "Steak and Ale". I have never sailed SilverSeas or Seabourne but if food was the most important activity to partake on vacation, and I wanted to cruise I would have to say you should consider them. Royal Caribbean International is not going to be your ticket to food nirvana.

I am a foodie. Last year in Vegas, we ate at Aqua, Wolfgang Pucks (at Ceasars Palace can't remember the name, Amadeus perhaps), Hugo's Cellar, and Commander's Palace. We ate at the best restaurants and dropped a lot of personal coin. I haven't eaten at a buffet in Vegas since I was in college 25 years ago. On my recent quick President's Weekend trip the NYC, we at a a great steak house Bobby Van's, Todd English's Olive, and a Greek Restaurant accross from the Plaza Hotel where we watched the Olympic committee come and go from the hotel with all sorts of pomp, and we could see the silly saffron shower curtains in Central Park. The only point is to let you know that while I have never stayed in an 8000 euro suite in Vienna that I have a little travel experience.

Mr. P, the problem most of the HAL people have with your post is that while a poor plate of food is possible anywhere, on a cruise you have no one but yourself if you leave the dining room unsatisfied. The waiter will arrange another selection for you. If the unbelieveable were to happen that they would not take care of you, I can assure you had you taken a complaint to the head waiter he would have resolved the matter swiftly and happily. The food is not 5 star, I doubt that it has been for 20 years. Mistakes can and do happen in food preparation. No one really doubts whether it is possible that your turf tasted like chrome polish, but most everyone thinks that your reaction to it was not only poor, but that you compounded that by sensationalizing your cruise report in this thread. I hope that you can see this and move on with your life. You are clearly a bright person, and I can't imagine with all of your world travels that you haven't previously experienced a problem in your other travels. Really in my opinion what distinguishes a good traveler is the ability to roll with the punches and still have a fabulous trip. Rookie travelers are often the ones that have a bad situation deteriorate to the point that it ruins their vacations, and then they come into a forum like this to exact punishment on the evil doers. Which again is why many of us don't understand your reaction considering that you clearly are an experienced traveler. Then there is the other class of experienced travelers who are historically represented by the lords of her majesty's empire and the way they travelled maintaining an air of resentment to the working classes around them. I am sure you have seen the movie Titanic. :D

I do hope you will stay around CC and try to share your obvious travel experience with people here that need help making decisions. We all do, even people with experience. Your flight experience is why I have never just turned over my flights to the cruiseline. I have booked cruiseline air, but I have always done an air deviation. I never arrive at port on the day of sailing. I always go at least one day a head of time, and I frequently extend my vacation on the back end as well. The cities that cruise ships depart from are often fascinating places in their own rights. I not only don't let the cruiseline choose my flights, I pick my own airlines and specify my own flight times based on those that are available. I pay a small premium for this usually 50 to 75 per person for the air deviation, but I find that to be a bargain. You still get to take advantage of the cruiseline's negotiated fares, but have the luxury of being able to fly on the airline that you have a frequent flyer program with, and at the times that are most convenient for you.

I have not sailed with HAL yet. I will not have that much anticipated experience until this fall, but I am not expecting the MDR to resemble either McDonald's or Olives. I will truthfully report back the good and the bad, but unless something happens of a life threatening manner to one of my travel companions, don't expect me to call anything HORRIFIC.....:p I will leave those adjectives to the members of the press that need to scream their stories to be noticed.

jc

If you desire to continue your crusade then I will just think that you are not worth reading anymore, and I will be saddened.

Hi Brentwood,

Please don't not try the main entirely.. obviously.

Here is some advise.. book the Pinnacle before you go.. for as many nights as you want. If you cancel on board, they will fully refund your missed nights on your on-board ship credit. That way, if the food is good on your cruise (and I hope it is), you will have lost nothing. Also, if it isn't, you will be able to get the nights you want at the Pinnacle without worry of it selling out (which it will, by what others have noted in this thread).

Pereiras

I would reconsider trying out RCL I sailed on the Voyager and to put it into context the food was bland and banquet food in my opinion not bad not good.

I would take a long hard look at Celebrity most of their ingrediants are fresh and all the meals I had in the main dinning room were excellant. I have sailed twice on the Constellation.

I chose HAL this time for the itenerary. Looks like Ill spend a lot of time at the Pinnacle.

Mr P.

Sounds like the crusade is over ( sorry, those are a personal pet peeve of mine), and I would like to welcome you into the best cruising forum on the internet, despite its many flaws (you will no doubt discover these for yourselves as you explore other portions of this website.).:D :)

Seriously, CC is an amazing resource, and if you stay with us for a few years you will realize the spirit that caused people to cast a little bit of their frustration on you. IE we have heard it all, and from most of our experiences we know that the folks that have a bad time on a cruise probably caused at least a portion of their problems. Which doesn't mean things don't legitimately go wrong. I am a person that can get quite warmed up over things, and I have gotten so mad on vacation or cruises that I would like to throttle someone. I am a professional in business and I do my best to control that emotion and resolve the problem with reason and compromise, but it can be difficult when you are talking to the wrong person (ie a person without the knowledge or authority to fix the problem). :D

Anyway, the people here who have made your days the most challenging here are without a doubt very smart knowledgeable people that will help anyone including you and I in any reasonable way that they can. Just don't expect them to rush to agree with you when you are stating something that doesn't meet their personal experience.

One last note, regarding your issues about food quality. I think you could serve the food of RCI, Princess, Carnival, HAL, Celebrity, maybe NCL (generally believed to be about the worst - not saying that is the case but reputation) in the dining room of any of the other ships and you would not know what cruiseline food you were getting outside of a few signature dishes that are known by people who have cruised a particular line forever. JMHO. In other words, you can have a great dining experience, an average experience, or an awful one with any of the lines on any given day or cruise. One last tiny bit of advice. Your waiter really wants you to be happy. It might mean they make a larger tip. That they have a happier work experience and therefore, it is really a good idea to listen to their advice. I used to look at a menu, and see a dish I really like, and I would order it. It frequently would not meet my expectation. This has happened on land and even more at sea. I now glance at the menu, check out the apetizers, or desserts, and then I ask the waiter what he recommends. If he recommends my favorite, hooray, life is good. If he doesn't, unless it is something I can't stand (ie fried chicken livers) I ask him for his second choice, and at that point the thought of ordering a second entree enters my calculations. :D

Again, I am rambling, and I would like to welcome you to CC, and I hope to see you around over the next few years.

jc

Thanks,

Re comment that food is interchangeable.. I guess this hasn't been our experience. We loved the food on the Golden Princess a couple of years back. It was terrific.. and I mean that. Just the quality of the presentation.. ie.. French Onion soup was in a large bowl, full crust of french bread on top, overflowing melted cheese.. Soufles' hot at the table. Hal didn't have this.. at all. Do you think it is just that Princess ship, or, do you think if either of us was to take that boat now, the food would/could be like the Zuiderdam experience we had. As for getting a changed meal from the waiter. This, obviously was an option.. but.. I guess we decided not to do that based on feedback from others at the table, including my wife who had the lamb shanks... and said it was 'OK'.

I mention the praise of the Princess without having any loyalty there at all... just FYI. Just wondering if you, and others might feel it is a general problem with declining cruise food, or specific to certain boats, or just luck (our bad luck) of the draw. Interesting question?

Mr P.

Sounds like the crusade is over ( sorry, those are a personal pet peeve of mine), and I would like to welcome you into the best cruising forum on the internet, despite its many flaws (you will no doubt discover these for yourselves as you explore other portions of this website.).:D :)

Seriously, CC is an amazing resource, and if you stay with us for a few years you will realize the spirit that caused people to cast a little bit of their frustration on you. IE we have heard it all, and from most of our experiences we know that the folks that have a bad time on a cruise probably caused at least a portion of their problems. Which doesn't mean things don't legitimately go wrong. I am a person that can get quite warmed up over things, and I have gotten so mad on vacation or cruises that I would like to throttle someone. I am a professional in business and I do my best to control that emotion and resolve the problem with reason and compromise, but it can be difficult when you are talking to the wrong person (ie a person without the knowledge or authority to fix the problem). :D

Anyway, the people here who have made your days the most challenging here are without a doubt very smart knowledgeable people that will help anyone including you and I in any reasonable way that they can. Just don't expect them to rush to agree with you when you are stating something that doesn't meet their personal experience.

One last note, regarding your issues about food quality. I think you could serve the food of RCI, Princess, Carnival, HAL, Celebrity, maybe NCL (generally believed to be about the worst - not saying that is the case but reputation) in the dining room of any of the other ships and you would not know what cruiseline food you were getting outside of a few signature dishes that are known by people who have cruised a particular line forever. JMHO. In other words, you can have a great dining experience, an average experience, or an awful one with any of the lines on any given day or cruise. One last tiny bit of advice. Your waiter really wants you to be happy. It might mean they make a larger tip. That they have a happier work experience and therefore, it is really a good idea to listen to their advice. I used to look at a menu, and see a dish I really like, and I would order it. It frequently would not meet my expectation. This has happened on land and even more at sea. I now glance at the menu, check out the apetizers, or desserts, and then I ask the waiter what he recommends. If he recommends my favorite, hooray, life is good. If he doesn't, unless it is something I can't stand (ie fried chicken livers) I ask him for his second choice, and at that point the thought of ordering a second entree enters my calculations. :D

Again, I am rambling, and I would like to welcome you to CC, and I hope to see you around over the next few years.

jc

Somehow I doubt the hotels would be on you if they booked your air. I have never seen that in 4 years on the industry.

Hi,

Sorry but I've seen that. It happened to us a year ago on the Veendam. Booked air and transfers through Holland America and when the tickets came they had us coming in a day early (this is when we found out we had to go in early) and they had made a reservation for us at a Hilton but did not pay for the room (so not only did they not tell us we were coming in early, we didn't even get to pick which hotel we wanted, it was pre-assigned). When our TA called Holland, they said, "Sorry that's the only air we could do and we got them a discounted rate at the hotel but they'll have to pay for it". My TA was in shock and also said she'd never seen that before (and she's a full time cruise TA). She felt so bad that we had to pay for the hotel that she got her TA to pay our room out of her commission and apologied for the inconvienence. So Holland didn't set well on my list but you can bet I'll book my cruises through this TA from now on (booked two with her since). BTW, we just got back from the Zuiderdam in mid-Feb. and while the food wasn't that great (we commented as such on our guest surveys) it wasn't bad (and we booked our own air this time).smile.gif

Thank you. I will score you average for food? I am keeping an informal survey.

Here are the categories: Exc, VG, Avg. Bad VB?

Hi,

Sorry but I've seen that. It happened to us a year ago on the Veendam. Booked air and transfers through Holland America and when the tickets came they had us coming in a day early (this is when we found out we had to go in early) and they had made a reservation for us at a Hilton but did not pay for the room (so not only did they not tell us we were coming in early, we didn't even get to pick which hotel we wanted, it was pre-assigned). When our TA called Holland, they said, "Sorry that's the only air we could do and we got them a discounted rate at the hotel but they'll have to pay for it". My TA was in shock and also said she'd never seen that before (and she's a full time cruise TA). She felt so bad that we had to pay for the hotel that she got her TA to pay our room out of her commission and apologied for the inconvienence. So Holland didn't set well on my list but you can bet I'll book my cruises through this TA from now on (booked two with her since). BTW, we just got back from the Zuiderdam in mid-Feb. and while the food wasn't that great (we commented as such on our guest surveys) it wasn't bad (and we booked our own air this time).smile.gif

My .02....

Celebrity food was better than HAL in the dining room. HAL food was a pleasant "good' to v. good. There were no real disappointments and one or two "Ohh, I could have some more of that." I had a filet on Celeb that rivalled anything I've had landside. Nice presentation, too, and great sauces. I'd give them a consistent VG. Didn't try the specialty restaurant.

HAL buffets beat Celebrity buffets hands down. Fresher, higher quality, better tasting food.

Carnival food - average, tasted fine. No complaints but no knockouts either. Buffets were ... well, there was no point at all to eating there unless you needed to feed a hungry kid or grab something, anything to tide you over til dinner after an active shore day (hypoglycemic hubby).

Norwegian food. Low average, most of the time except for occasional forays into 'poor' and hilarious. Poor was a spa selection ahi tuna steak that was only a third of an inch thick and cooked 'well done'. Think rubber plank. Hilarious was the guy who ordered the "Orrechetti Quattro Fromagi with Chorizo." Now, I did wonder how the Italian Quattro Fromagi ended up with the Mexican Chorizo, but I figured it was some 'fusion' cuisine dish. Nope. It was Velveeta Shells and Cheese with sliced hot dogs! We all laughed, even the guy who ordered it. "OMG - they gave you Beanie Weenie!" Oh - and while I don't expect too much from the boarding day lunch buffet, I would like the menu to at least be accurate. If I'm going to get Jello, call it Jello. Don't call it "Strawberry Trifle - a delightful layered confection of cake and strawberries, topped with whipped cream" and then serve me red jello with pinpricks of cake suspended in it and fake whipped topping, LOL. It was fine as Jello goes, but it was NOT trifle. :D (The chorizo became a joke at the table for the rest of the cruise. Even the waiter got in on it. When we'd ask what was good he would say, "We still have some chorizo.")

Fortunately for me, I find such things amusing rather than infuriating, and if I get something truly disappointing, I'll ask for something else. Hey, I hear it's a good year for Beanie Weenie!

Cheers,

Friday

So, jc, are you saying you don't like "Olive Garden".......?:D

Heather, are you trying to tell us that OL sucks??? Now, now......

Up until about 3 years ago, OL was just about a monthly routine. I"m not that crazy about the Italian stuff, but DW enjoys it. She rarely make it at home knowing my lack of enthusiam for it. I have been known to eat a pizza appetizer while she has her entree. Anyway, after a few soggy salads, watery sauces, greasy bread sticks, etc., switched to Carabbas.

The last few visits at Carabbas were somewhat disappointing. More watery sauces, tasteless Italian Sausage, mediocre pizza, etc., but with somewhat higher prices and more noise.

We have tried a variety of local Italian establishments, but none were worth a return visit.. DW says Olive Garden for next Italian Night, by default....If I knew of a great local Italian restaurant would surely patronize it....

Happy cruising......

My .02....

Celebrity food was better than HAL in the dining room. HAL food was a pleasant "good' to v. good. There were no real disappointments and one or two "Ohh, I could have some more of that." I had a filet on Celeb that rivalled anything I've had landside. Nice presentation, too, and great sauces. I'd give them a consistent VG. Didn't try the specialty restaurant.

HAL buffets beat Celebrity buffets hands down. Fresher, higher quality, better tasting food.

I say HAL buffets beat Celebrity.. in variety, but they are both good in taste and freshness.

I loved variety of juices available on HAL!!! Also sushi available during the lunch.

Dinners were def better on X...but on HAL they were much better than on RCI. (although Veeeeeeery slow service)

Archived